NBP Products?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 09:39 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NBP Products?

What products are those of you who own NBP colored cars using? I am still trying to decide on what polishes/sealants to use. Right now it will all have to be done by hand(no P/C yet). My 2006 TL has only been dealer washed and waxed so I have a couple of stray fine scratches and one you dont have to look that hard for. There are so many products out there it seems like everytime I think I have it figured out I read something else. I think I have it narrowed down to a few brands...Klasse AIO/Glaze/S100, Four Star system, Wolfgang system. Four star sounds good but it sounds like you need a PC to get the best result. Also am I going to have to live with the stray scratches till I get a PC? When to use a pre wax cleaner and when to use a swirl remover. I understand I want to use the least abrassive product for the job which sounds like a pre cleaner instead of a polish. Anyone care to help me out? I could use some direction. I thought about Zaino first but this is a daily driver not a show car.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FL Leo
What products are those of you who own NBP colored cars using? I am still trying to decide on what polishes/sealants to use. Right now it will all have to be done by hand(no P/C yet). My 2006 TL has only been dealer washed and waxed so I have a couple of stray fine scratches and one you dont have to look that hard for. There are so many products out there it seems like everytime I think I have it figured out I read something else. I think I have it narrowed down to a few brands...Klasse AIO/Glaze/S100, Four Star system, Wolfgang system. Four star sounds good but it sounds like you need a PC to get the best result. Also am I going to have to live with the stray scratches till I get a PC? When to use a pre wax cleaner and when to use a swirl remover. I understand I want to use the least abrassive product for the job which sounds like a pre cleaner instead of a polish. Anyone care to help me out? I could use some direction. I thought about Zaino first but this is a daily driver not a show car.
Pre-wax cleaners/cleansers are used primarily if the painted surface is free of defects i.e. swirls, minor scratches. SMRs are used when you want to remove surface defects. As far as a PC goes, it is primarily used for removal of surface defects. I use it because of convenience, it makes application of a pre-wax cleaner/polish easier to work in, not to mention faster. On occasion, I'll use a finishing pad to apply an LSP and buff it off by hand, but most of the time I prefer hand application as a lot of folks here do. You can top off most polymers with a carnuba (S100, Natty's). I'm sure the other guys will chime in and provide more info.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:33 PM
Safety Car

Leo, check out Autopia's"How To Polish" article. Great reference material and an in depth explanation of polishing - should answer any questions you may have.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
What he said ^^.

For polishing (removing defects) I use Poorboys SSR's, and I have Four Star USMR as well.
Paint cleaner/cleanser - Megs or Four Star.
Wax/sealant - FourStar UPP, Nattys Blue, Optimum car wax,..........soon I will have some Fk1 pink wax.

I apply sealants, wax, and paint cleaner by hand. I use my PC for removing scratches/swirls.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:18 AM
Advanced

Thanks Hawhyen I read the whole guide but I must have not been paying attention during the polishing part . West6mt do you perfer Poorboy's or four star usmr for swirls? I have really been leaning toward the Four star line and s100. If you use s100 or natty's can you still use four star qd over it?
Old 07-08-2006, 09:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Thanks Hawhyen I read the whole guide but I must have not been paying attention during the polishing part . West6mt do you perfer Poorboy's or four star usmr for swirls? I have really been leaning toward the Four star line and s100. If you use s100 or natty's can you still use four star qd over it?
I am a big fan of Poorboys stuff, and I think the SSR's are great. To be honest I have not used the FourStar USMR on my car yet with a PC. I tried using it by hand last year on another car, but didnt really get any results. That is reflective of the fact I was trying to use it by hand though. I was actually going to use it this weekend on my dads car, but something has come up and I wont have time for that now. FourStar makes good stuff though, so it is probably a good product. If you are not buying your stuff for a while I probably will get a chance to use the FourStar this week. I cant promise anything, but if I do use it I will let you know how it goes.

Any QD should be fine to use on s100 or nattys. If you are leaning towards the Fourstar line, have you looked at getting UPP (sealant)? I would highly recommend it (and so would others). If you want to see the results I can get with the SSR's and UPP, check out my TSX thread near the top of the wash and wax list.

Last edited by West6MT; 07-08-2006 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Darn edit time:

You could always put UPP on the car and top it with something like Nattys as well. I started doing that this summer and think it looks really good (other ppl I talk to think it looks great when they use that combo on their cars too). Of course that is not necessary at all. Are you planning on using a carnuba for your car (s100 or nattys)? If you are considering a sealant instead, and are leaning towards FourStar,...............go with UPP. It has good durability and looks really good on dark colours.

Last edited by West6MT; 07-08-2006 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Try the FS Body Shop line. Its a step ahead of the Ultimate stuff..............Totally awesome. I had a friend compare it to Menzerna yesterday..........Its the next best thing going since Optimum came out......
Old 07-08-2006, 12:34 PM
Advanced

Yes I plan on using UPP and S100 over it. I just have to get the imperfections out. There arent very many. Should I spot treat those or is PoorBoy's ok to use over the entire car. Also I see PoorBoy's comes 4 bottles at a time and in different levels. None of my scrathes can be felt with my fingers. Should I use the light group first or go strait to the mediums? Also I was trying to find more details on poorboy's..do you have to use all 4 bottles at the same time or just the one you think you are going to need...SR1..SR2...etc.You have been a wealth of information..Thank You for taking the time to asnwer my questions. One last question when do you use the pre wax cleaner? Between clay and polish or after polish between sealant?
Old 07-08-2006, 12:36 PM
Advanced

Excel your killing me just when I am almost ready to give you more of my money you throw another bone in front of me.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:19 PM
Safety Car

Yes I plan on using UPP and S100 over it.
Great choice of products.

I just have to get the imperfections out. There arent very many. Should I spot treat those or is PoorBoy's ok to use over the entire car. Also I see PoorBoy's comes 4 bottles at a time and in different levels. None of my scrathes can be felt with my fingers. Should I use the light group first or go strait to the mediums? Also I was trying to find more details on poorboy's..do you have to use all 4 bottles at the same time or just the one you think you are going to need...SR1..SR2...etc.You have been a wealth of information..Thank You for taking the time to asnwer my questions.
PB can be used over the entire car. If the swirls are minor, I would try PB Pro Polish and then work my way up through the SSR line. You don't need to get all 4, just the ones you need. IMO, I think the best combo is the 2.5 and the 1. Another polish I would look at is Optimum Polish. Works great with a PC. It has a longer working time and combined with the right pad, it can take care of most defects.

One last question when do you use the pre wax cleaner? Between clay and polish or after polish between sealant?
If you're gonna clay and polish, a pre wax cleaner is not necessary and would be more of an option should you desire.

Excel your killing me just when I am almost ready to give you more of my money you throw another bone in front of me.
Welcome to wonderful world of detailing. Trust me, it doesn't end here. Have fun!!!
Old 07-08-2006, 03:07 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,730 Likes on 4,234 Posts
You'll find that you're going to just have to make a decision and give it a try. That's what i did. I now have 2 sets of pads, my Excel Erasures came today.

I'll be doing my NBP tomorrow. I already clayed my car in May, so I'll use the 4* USMR (I have tiny, and I mean TINY, spider webbing) Followed by the UPP. Then i might follow that with a coat of Nattys Blue. Not sure about this though, since I don't know if the Ultimate Gloss Enhancer, which I really like, will work on top of the Nattys.
Anyone know if that will work?
Old 07-08-2006, 03:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
Great choice of products.

PB can be used over the entire car. If the swirls are minor, I would try PB Pro Polish and then work my way up through the SSR line. You don't need to get all 4, just the ones you need. IMO, I think the best combo is the 2.5 and the 1. Another polish I would look at is Optimum Polish. Works great with a PC. It has a longer working time and combined with the right pad, it can take care of most defects.

If you're gonna clay and polish, a pre wax cleaner is not necessary and would be more of an option should you desire.

Welcome to wonderful world of detailing. Trust me, it doesn't end here. Have fun!!!
Well said Danny. I agree that he is only really going to need 2.5 and 1 if he goes with PB's. Optimum is good stuff too.

Last edited by West6MT; 07-08-2006 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:38 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by pttl
You'll find that you're going to just have to make a decision and give it a try. That's what i did. I now have 2 sets of pads, my Excel Erasures came today.

I'll be doing my NBP tomorrow. I already clayed my car in May, so I'll use the 4* USMR (I have tiny, and I mean TINY, spider webbing) Followed by the UPP. Then i might follow that with a coat of Nattys Blue. Not sure about this though, since I don't know if the Ultimate Gloss Enhancer, which I really like, will work on top of the Nattys.
Anyone know if that will work?
Let us know how the new pads work out. I haven't tried the Gloss Enhancer, but I've used UPPS over Nattys after washing it twice (16 days) and it just feels slickier (?). Didn't notice any problems during the application.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
One big happy family arent we?!?!
Old 07-09-2006, 08:11 PM
My first Avatar....

Let us know how the new pads work out. I haven't tried the Gloss Enhancer, but I've used UPPS over Nattys after washing it twice (16 days) and it just feels slickier (?). Didn't notice any problems during the application.
Well, one NBP TL as clean shiney and slick as I've ever seen. UPP and Gloss enhancer = Used and orange Erasure pad and USMR. Stared out with the blue, one but didn't like what was happening. The orange one got rid of all the spider webbing and swirls.
Then applied the UPP with the Green Erasure pad, let stand for 20 minutes or so. Buffed it off, and WOW. The car looks like Black OIL!!!! So slick a MF towel slides off the hood when you drop it there. I'll do another coat tomorrow maybe.

FL Leo you might not want to even bother with the S100 after you see the UPP on your NBP!
Old 07-09-2006, 08:46 PM
Advanced

Really.... Thanks PTTL. I was just pondering my order. Thanks for getting back. Orange and green pad uh... ON the low or 2500 opm on the PC? I was just about to go with the optium.... I am gonna go with the UPP for sure. Or just go 4* the whole way... Both the Optimum anf 4* SMR read the same "pads and speed" to get it done. How did yo apply the Gloss? All in one coat uh... Sounds great.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:47 PM
Advanced

Also how long do you have to wait for more than one coat of UPP?
Old 07-09-2006, 09:16 PM
My first Avatar....

Really.... Thanks PTTL. I was just pondering my order. Thanks for getting back. Orange and green pad uh... ON the low or 2500 opm on the PC? I was just about to go with the optium.... I am gonna go with the UPP for sure. Or just go 4* the whole way... Both the Optimum anf 4* SMR read the same "pads and speed" to get it done. How did yo apply the Gloss? All in one coat uh... Sounds great.

The pads are the Erasure series from Exceldetail so, the colors are based on that system. Orange, being a Level 4; Green Being the Level 1, for applying sealant. If your swirls are moderate or worse, you might need a Yellow pad (Level 5 in the Erasure series). The SMR seemed good, but I wouldn't hessitate to get the "Body Shop Swirl Mark Remover" from 4* OR one of the Poorboys SSMR 2, 2.5.

I'm not sure of the opm, but I ran the PC starting out at 3 on the dial then when I got the product worked into the paint I moved the speed up to 5 or 5.5 on the dial. You really need to move the machine slowly over the paint to let it do the work.

The UPP looks awesome on the black car, and it really is slick. You're not going wrong with this stuff.

I applied the 4* Gloss Enhancer by label directions. Spray on, wipe, turn cloth, wipe again. It smells great too!

The UPP directions say to wait 24 hours before another coat is applied. I'll do that one by hand tomorrow.

Good luck with your NBP Be Patient, it will pay off.
Off I go to rest my stiff back.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:26 PM
Safety Car

Well, one NBP TL as clean shiney and slick as I've ever seen. UPP and Gloss enhancer = Used and orange Erasure pad and USMR. Stared out with the blue, one but didn't like what was happening. The orange one got rid of all the spider webbing and swirls.
Then applied the UPP with the Green Erasure pad, let stand for 20 minutes or so. Buffed it off, and WOW. The car looks like Black OIL!!!! So slick a MF towel slides off the hood when you drop it there. I'll do another coat tomorrow maybe.

FL Leo you might not want to even bother with the S100 after you see the UPP on your NBP!
Hey pttl, I gotta say it,

Old 07-09-2006, 09:30 PM
My first Avatar....

Hey pttl, I gotta say it,

Sorry, I don't know how to do the Pic thing on this site.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:37 PM
Safety Car

Sorry, I don't know how to do the Pic thing on this site.
I just posted "How To" on this thread.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Advanced

PTTL Thanks a bunch. I just have to call friend of the in laws who details and see if he will use my products rather than Liquid Glass. I am trying to take phots for before and after.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:56 AM
Advanced

I just placed another order with excel..I went with the optimum.UPP and the gloss enhancer. I still have to S100 but I am gonna take PTTL's advice and wait to see how the UPP turns out by its self. Hopefully It will be done this week. Thanks to all for your
Old 07-10-2006, 10:56 PM
My first Avatar....

I just posted "How To" on this thread.

Hawhyen51 Here ya go! Hope these pics come thru.

Old 07-10-2006, 11:02 PM
My first Avatar....

^
Wow. They actually came through. This is NBP with UPP, after the swirl mark remover. These are the only pics I could up load - my digital camera is goofed up.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:36 PM
Advanced

I am no expert but it looks great from here. The detail guy wont be back for teo weeks so

i am just gonna have to wait and put some S100on it till he gets back.....Unless there is someone in central Florida who wants to make a few bucks with their PC
Old 07-11-2006, 10:06 AM
Safety Car

Hawhyen51 Here ya go! Hope these pics come thru.

Love that reflection! Outstanding!!!!
Old 07-11-2006, 10:35 AM
My first Avatar....

Love that reflection! Outstanding!!!!
Thanks! I had better pics, or so i thought, but the stinkin' camera, or memory stick or....?

I love the UPP though! The only thing is, the UPP and the SMR dust quite a bit. But, the results are awesome. For kicks I just go into the garage and feel the slickness...