My first car wash, what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 09:06 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question My first car wash, what should I do?

So I have read through the car wash FAQ and I have to admit - you guys have more resources and time than I do for taking care of your TSX.

Nevertheless, I would like my TSX to look clean and let me tell you, the harsh New England weather is taking a toll on it. I have only had my car 2 weeks and it already looks nasty.

I was thinking about going to ScrubaDub automatic car wash here in the Boston area. Their web site (http://www.scrubadub.com) says that they use soft cloth and warm water. My car is Silver - does that affect swirls form on it?

Is this a bad idea? It's cold here and I don't have a house, so washing the car myself is difficult.

Thanks,
PB
Old 01-23-2004, 09:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Be careful with those soft washes. They were fine with my F150, as the sheet metal was unpenetrable. My local soft wash has a dryer that basically drops on your hood and rolls up the roof and crashes down again on the trunk. Not the ideal system for a car with very thin sheet metal. I prefer the hand wash, even if it means my car looks like shit temporarily, as I wait for some above freezing temps. I used to go to the do it yourself place after the soft wash anyway, just to get my tires and wheels clean.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:02 AM
Cruisin'

Ok, idea?

So, aside from the blower, you think going to a soft car wash is an ok idea? Any problems with it?

What about all these "swirls" that I hear about? Do I not have to worry about them with my silver car?
Old 01-24-2004, 12:51 PM
CDR
Instructor

Re: Ok, idea?

Originally posted by pbanerji
What about all these "swirls" that I hear about? Do I not have to worry about them with my silver car?
Your car will get scratches (swirls) in the clear coat finish from anything but the most gentle hand washing practice. However, you won't be able to see them very much on silver.

My previous Accord was silver and didn't show anything from commercial washes of many years, but my new TSX is carbon grey and even the slightest scratch can show in sunlight. Scratches/swirls are noticeable because the light reflects off them and the bright line contrasts with the paint color underneath. Silver or white paint, little contrast.

I'm in California and can hand wash, but in your more demanding climate, I'd look for a non-contact wash. I'll bet there are lots of suggestions on Autopia (www.autopia.org) if you want a thorough answer or even specific recommendations for places to go in your area.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:30 PM
Advanced

Hi all,

It's damn cold in Ottawa and as a new TSX'r as well I've been going to the touchless car washes. They cost a bit more but hey it's minus 25 celcius outside!

Are these bad too? Is someone going to tell me the only way these washes get dirt off my car is to spray it with acid or something?
Old 01-24-2004, 10:35 PM
Racer

go for the touchless car washes. i got my 2 and half weekes, first day got the car .. it snows.. so after 10 days gives a touchless washes.. well.. only the rims is not very very clean, but that's ok for me.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:00 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you have to take it through a car was use the touchless type only. The brushes will swirl. Even if they were soft enough they pick up the road salt which will swirl your paint even worse
Old 01-25-2004, 01:08 AM
Intermediate

I can vouch for touchless car washes, too. I'm up here in the Albany, NY area and it comes out pretty much perfect even after several weeks worth of salt on it. My TSX is white, so maybe the scratches are just hard to see, but I can't find anything on my car. So, make an effort to go a touchless one because that's definitely the safest way for us Northeasterners to keep our cars clean.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:43 AM
TSX Bronco

For those of you that have gone to the touchless car washes, have your rims been scratched? I've only had my TSX for a grand total of 4 days and I'm loving every day. Stupid Toronto weather is giving my TSX a beating so I want to wash it soon, but I'm scared the touchless washes will scratch my rims. I remember my CL-S came out with some nasty scratches when I went through the touchless car wash.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:31 AM
Instructor

Why would it scratch rims? Do you mean the kind that pulls your car through on a track? I tried the kind where you just park there and the nozzles swing around you. I hope they don't miss and hit my car.

My fear has been coming out not completely dry and getting frozen into my car and ripping off my door seals trying to get out, or having my locks explode or glass shatter. Tell me I'm being too paranoid
Old 01-25-2004, 09:32 AM
Advanced

Ya I don't see how a touchless car wash could scratch your rims...

Anyways Sturm, you're in TO right?? Get some winter rims and your fears go away!
Old 01-25-2004, 10:51 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Proo
Why would it scratch rims? Do you mean the kind that pulls your car through on a track? I tried the kind where you just park there and the nozzles swing around you. I hope they don't miss and hit my car.

My fear has been coming out not completely dry and getting frozen into my car and ripping off my door seals trying to get out, or having my locks explode or glass shatter. Tell me I'm being too paranoid
I find that no matter how slow you drive out, the touchless washes don't really get your car dry. I drive home immediately with the heater cranked, rear defroster and heated mirrors on to avoid freezing on the glass and gaskets.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:49 AM
TSX Bronco

Yeah, that's what I mean. The kind that pull you on the tracks. The ones where you just drive in and sit there are hard to find here in Toronto.

T-Sexy - I like the stock rims too much. I can't picture my TSX with winter rims!

Originally posted by Proo

Old 01-25-2004, 04:17 PM
Advanced

Hey Sturm,

Most of the touchless car washes in Ottawa where you just drive up and park inside are owned by either Sunoco or Esso for what it's worth. Have a look at some of those places and see if they are the kind that you are looking for.

As for keeping your summer rims on...yes they do look damn fine...but the salt man!! You coudl always get some winter rims and then cover them with some decent hub caps. Personally I like the black wheels...feels like it's serious winter driving time when they get slapped on the car.