Mother's & Zymol

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 08:41 AM
I'd rather be golfing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mother's & Zymol

This weekend I detailed my 06 AM TL. I could not find my Mother's Sealer & Glaze (Step 2 in the 3-step system) and a few local stores didn't have it either. I used the Step 1 (Pre-wax cleaner) then I applied a Zymol Liquid Polish I had, then finished with Mother's 3rd step Carnuba paste wax. Just wondering if anyone knows if the Zymol polish is similar to the Mother's Step 2 Sealer & Glaze. What I read on the Zymol bottle led me to think it was a good fit for Step 2, yes?
Also, is there a shelf-life with waxes and polish? I have stored my detail supplies in the garage in the past, but will keep them indoors going forward. My supplies have been subjected to sub-zero temps and just figured the freeze/thaw isn't the best thing to help prolong shelf life.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:25 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,177 Likes on 3,964 Posts
Originally Posted by adsoldschool
This weekend I detailed my 06 AM TL. I could not find my Mother's Sealer & Glaze (Step 2 in the 3-step system) and a few local stores didn't have it either. I used the Step 1 (Pre-wax cleaner) then I applied a Zymol Liquid Polish I had, then finished with Mother's 3rd step Carnuba paste wax. Just wondering if anyone knows if the Zymol polish is similar to the Mother's Step 2 Sealer & Glaze. What I read on the Zymol bottle led me to think it was a good fit for Step 2, yes?
Also, is there a shelf-life with waxes and polish? I have stored my detail supplies in the garage in the past, but will keep them indoors going forward. My supplies have been subjected to sub-zero temps and just figured the freeze/thaw isn't the best thing to help prolong shelf life.
In my mind the word "polish" indicates that there is a cutting abrasive in the substance to remove swirls and imbedded dirt etc. The words "sealer - sealant - glaze", indicates that it is a paint covering or protector to be used after "polishing" has been completed.

Then again the way manufacterers throw terms around who knows what they really mean. This is why I ask and rely on the vendors here on this forum who actually know what the producta that they sell do.

I try to stay away from "sealer polishes"....too confusing.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:04 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The mothers step 2 product isn't really a polish. It isn't abrasive at all. I don't know much about that zymol product but it may be a slightly abrasive polish not meant to be used by hand. The mothers sealer and glaze will fill the minor scratches in the finish. It works great if that is what you are after. How did the paint come out? Were you attempting to fix minor swirls?
Old 04-15-2011, 08:53 AM
I'd rather be golfing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks guys. (nice Lucic pic, johhnyb, tough loss last night).
So, the Zymol polish is a liquid version I've had for a long time. the bottle states "Superior Mirror Finish...repairs swirl marks and minor scratches". The paint is 5 years old and in pretty good shape, I wasn't looking to specifacally remove any damage, just wanted to prep after the winter we had. I just wondered if I duplicated the effort with the Mothers step 1 and this Zymol. Overall it came out really good..didn't get around to take with pictures since it rained the next day..naturally.