Microfiber towels: Bounce dryer sheets

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 08:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Microfiber towels: Bounce dryer sheets

So I was washing all of my MF towels and my wife not knowing any better put a sheet of bounce (fabric softener) in the dryer to with the towels.

I know everyone has said not to use the liquid fabric softener... what are ill-effects of dry bounce sheets on the towels (in terms of chemicals, etc)? Do I have to rewash and dry them all?
Old 07-09-2006, 09:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is excerpt from Autopia's article on Microfiber Products
MAINTAINING MICROFIBER
I’ve read a lot of tips on how to clean and care for microfiber. People seem to be all over the map with their recommendations. It’s really very simple.

The best general purpose cleaner is a liquid detergent. It’s better to use too little than too much. Liquid is recommended over powder because some powders do not completely dissolve and the granules will lodge in the toweling.

Wash in cold water only. Warm water can be tolerated, but hot water cannot. Polyester and polyamide both shrink in hot water. If you wash in hot water the fibers will shrink and the towel will not perform as intended.

Do not use fabric softeners of any kind. The softener will become lodged in the microfiber reducing its ability to absorb water, clean and pick up dirt. In short, you’ll have a soft towel that’s useless.

Do not dry above medium heat. Treat microfiber towels the same as you would your delicate clothing. Drying with high heat is worse that washing in hot water.

Just recently, a cleaning solution was developed specifically for cleaning microfiber towels. I tested a product called Micro-Restore Detergent that claims to effectively remove dirt without using the bleaches and softeners commonly found in laundry detergents. After cleaning several loads of dirty towels, I made the switch. My towels now seem to last longer and don’t get matted down.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:25 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,077 Likes on 3,908 Posts
I know you're not supposed to use a dryer sheet but i forget why....it might have to do with streaking on the car. BUT...do not DRY the MF towels in high heat - it shrinks the tiny fibers into little (scratch causing) clumps. I just wash mine in COLD water, hang them up to dry, and the next day - they're dry.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:14 PM
Have camera, will travel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^
Yeah, I thing the sheets put a residue on the towels that result in streaking. Your way looks good...cold wash followed by air dry.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I wonder if the static caused by the dryer will enhance the ability of the MF to pick up dirt??
Old 07-11-2006, 06:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Wash in cold water only. Warm water can be tolerated, but hot water cannot. Polyester and polyamide both shrink in hot water. If you wash in hot water the fibers will shrink and the towel will not perform as intended.
Sorry, but I disagree with this statement. Usually when selecting clothing, one pays particular attention if its made of cotton, reason being, cotton shrinks. Buy a shirt thats 50/50 and theres little worry about shrinkage.
I wash mine in nothing but hot water. Its not the hot water that would shrink it anyway, it would be the hot air in the dryer that would do it. Usually products swell when exposed to water.