Micro Fiber let down..... sigh

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 07:27 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Micro Fiber let down..... sigh

Ok so after reading a lot of post by the professionals and seeing all the testimonials by users swearing about the amazing ability of the large micro fiber towels to dry the car here is what I got:

I got water spots and streak marks left all over the car, leaving the paint as well as the glass with a hellacious looking
'haze" over everything. I felt like my car was left to air dry.

The near impossibility of squeezing the towel dry to get better results, I am not weak I curl 60 pound weights and throw 110 pound dumbells up every day, believe me I tried to rip the towel I squeezed it so hard.

1- was I supposed the wash the towel first and dry it before initial use??
2-Are "The Absorbers" safe to use? .......after rewashing my car, and drying in with the clean "absorbers" I own the car was perfect as it always comes the last 3 years.

Pathetic I know.... any advice?
Old 12-13-2010, 07:45 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
1. It's a good idea. Using regular laundry detergent is acceptable, but there are products out there which are made specifically for washing MF towels.

2. Yes, as long as they are clean. Make sure there isn't anything "caught" in them. The same goes for MF towels.

*You shouldn't depend on just 1 MF towel to dry your whole car. Use several per wash. (Even if they're large towels)

*Also, if you QD your car after drying, the streaks usually get taken care of.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:48 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Originally Posted by princelybug
1. It's a good idea. Using regular laundry detergent is acceptable, but there are products out there which are made specifically for washing MF towels.

2. Yes, as long as they are clean. Make sure there isn't anything "caught" in them. The same goes for MF towels.

*You shouldn't depend on just 1 MF towel to dry your whole car. Use several per wash. (Even if they're large towels)

*Also, if you QD your car after drying, the streaks usually get taken care of.

Check thanks, with that being sad I am gonna stick to the absorbers, unparalleled performance and excellence IMO, perfection every time.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:41 PM
HE>i

Received 253 Likes on 221 Posts
The Absorber?

princelybug gave the right advice
Old 12-13-2010, 09:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,426 Posts
Originally Posted by OntheJob
Ok so after reading a lot of post by the professionals and seeing all the testimonials by users swearing about the amazing ability of the large micro fiber towels to dry the car here is what I got:

I got water spots and streak marks left all over the car, leaving the paint as well as the glass with a hellacious looking

The near impossibility of squeezing the towel dry to get better results, I am not weak I curl 60 pound weights and throw 110 pound dumbells up every day, believe me I tried to rip the towel I squeezed it so hard.

1- was I supposed the wash the towel first and dry it before initial use??
2-Are "The Absorbers" safe to use? .......after rewashing my car, and drying in with the clean "absorbers" I own the car was perfect as it always comes the last 3 years.

Pathetic I know.... any advice?
Is this a waffle weave towel? Either way, your best bet is to ALWAYS wash a MF towel before using it. This will get rid of any stray fibers or lint that may show up on surfaces. You can use clothes soap, however NO FABRIC SOFTENER!!!

How are you using the towel, folding it up and moving it around? The best way to dry is to fold the towel in half and hold it by the top corners. Lay it on the paint and let it sit for a few seconds then pull slowly towards you. This way the towel can absorb all the water and not streak.

^ do that for a few panels, then refold and repeat. For vertical surfaces, I manage to do the same while applying little to no pressure with my arm to keep the towel in contact with the paint.

FYI use the sheeting method to get rid of most of the water!
Old 12-13-2010, 09:36 PM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Old 12-14-2010, 08:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts

1- was I supposed the wash the towel first and dry it before initial use?? Yes wash it but don't use powder laundry soap .. I don't use laundry soap at all .. too many perfumes in it .. Use Blue Dawn
2-Are "The Absorbers" safe to use? . No .. they are not forgiving and will induce swirling . scratching
Get 2 24" x 36" Waffle Weave drying towels

First step .. wash them per above and dry ..

second Step Drying the car.

1) Once you have finished washing the car take the nozzle off the hose and use a gentle stream of water to flood the car .. this will remove the final grit abd also pull off about 85% of the water ( if the car is waxed )
2) fold a WW towel so it is 12 x 36 and hold it by the corners on the 36" side and lay it on the front of the hood and do a walkaround pulling the towel over the hood/windsield/roof/rear window/trunk then same thing back to the front .
3) Still holding the towel do it down the sides, around the back then up the other side.

4) Take the second towel and fold it in 1/4 and dry the rest of the water ... always use a straight line motion not circular and the towel doesn't like back and forth either .. move slower than your used to . You will get used to the speed required. do the glass fierst then the horizontal surfaces and the sides last. You never need to wring out the towels this way. Use a separate old towel for the wheels and door edges.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:29 AM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Originally Posted by csmeance
Is this a waffle weave towel? Either way, your best bet is to ALWAYS wash a MF towel before using it. This will get rid of any stray fibers or lint that may show up on surfaces. You can use clothes soap, however NO FABRIC SOFTENER!!!

How are you using the towel, folding it up and moving it around? The best way to dry is to fold the towel in half and hold it by the top corners. Lay it on the paint and let it sit for a few seconds then pull slowly towards you. This way the towel can absorb all the water and not streak.

^ do that for a few panels, then refold and repeat. For vertical surfaces, I manage to do the same while applying little to no pressure with my arm to keep the towel in contact with the paint.

FYI use the sheeting method to get rid of most of the water!
No it was not a waffel towel, just a very large micro fiber towel for drying.

I used all the below methods as far as folding the towel and using the dry spots on it to dry the car.

Not sure if having a "waffle" MF towel really makes the difference however for the cost of these things I am really skeptical now, but I might give it one last shot.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:30 AM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Originally Posted by 05_NBP_TL
The Absorber?

princelybug gave the right advice
Your right he did, and if you read, he also stated the absorbers are safe as long as they are clean and free of debris.
Reference number 2 of his post.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Your right he did, and if you read, he also stated the absorbers are safe as long as they are clean and free of debris.
Reference number 2 of his post.
I'll argue that one ... think of it this way ... wet your Absorber ..wring it out .. now lay it flat on your wet hood ... grab 2 corners and pull towards you ... feel the massive resistance .. now..... put 1 piece of grit under it and tell me that it isn't going to mar it .. it will . The M/F towels and more so the WW towels don't have that type of resistance and also have a place for the little piece of grit to go if one happens to be left behind.

Yes the Absorber does a great job of drying .. also does a great job of wet sanding.

The nap type of MF drying towels work but no where near as wall as a quality WW towl.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:08 AM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
I'll argue that one ... think of it this way ... wet your Absorber ..wring it out .. now lay it flat on your wet hood ... grab 2 corners and pull towards you ... feel the massive resistance .. now..... put 1 piece of grit under it and tell me that it isn't going to mar it .. it will . The M/F towels and more so the WW towels don't have that type of resistance and also have a place for the little piece of grit to go if one happens to be left behind.

Yes the Absorber does a great job of drying .. also does a great job of wet sanding.

The nap type of MF drying towels work but no where near as wall as a quality WW towl.
Great out look and info, I guess I will try the Waffel type MF towels, to avoid the wet sanding affect, however if it performs like the first MF towel there is no way I will use it. It was that bad.

I will continue trying however, if I keep up with the wax on the car shouldnt the possibility of marring the paint with grit by reduced?
Old 12-14-2010, 10:10 AM
Suzuka Master

however, if I keep up with the wax on the car shouldnt the possibility of marring the paint with grit by reduced?
Nope
Old 12-14-2010, 10:13 AM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Nope
check, ill give the waffel the test, thanks for all the info.... I just hope this works.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:34 AM
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Good info on the waffle weaves Jesstzn. I have an absorber and definitely feel it gives A LOT of resistance the entire time. On to the waffle weaves!