Meguiars' Ultimate Quick Detailer

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 08:41 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meguiars' Ultimate Quick Detailer

Is there a better product than this Meguiar's for quick detailer?

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f166...-spray-353448/

http://www.meguiars.com/?car-mainten...-Quik-Detailer

Please share ur exp.

Thanks.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a fairly new item (about 6-7 months) and haven't had the chance to check it out. Almost everyone will have a favorite product. I like DG AquaWax, Optimum Spray Wax and UPPS. One thing to remember . . . A QD is be used previously waxed vehicle to extend or boost the initial layer of protection. It can also be used on a lightly dusted car like a spray and wipe product. This is not a standalone product.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:20 AM
Racer

Thanks for the alternative suggestions.

I am trying to find the right product for what I am trying to accomplish. I thought a Quick Detailer would function as a between-car-washes protection.

I just want to have something applied after I wash the car for glossy / wet looks (not necessarily after waxing, since I usually do waxing only every 6 months or so)

I am not sure if I need a Quick Detailer / Optimum Spray Wax, or just need a regular polisher. Will it be okay to aplly these Quick Detailer / Spray wax on a non-waxed surface?

Thks.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:54 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by handy911
Thanks for the alternative suggestions.

I am trying to find the right product for what I am trying to accomplish. I thought a Quick Detailer would function as a between-car-washes protection.
What, exactly, are you trying to accomplish? QDs are basically a spray and wipe product to remove light dusting and give the vehicle a just washed look. It also prolongs the life and rejuvenates the shine of your existing coat of wax. Refer to this article for more indo.
I just want to have something applied after I wash the car for glossy / wet looks (not necessarily after waxing, since I usually do waxing only every 6 months or so)
Waxes (carnuba based) will not last 6 months. Sealants (synthetic waxes) on the other hand will have a longer lifespan. To ensure adequate protection, you may want to reconsider applying a new coat every 3 months. Every 6 months, you'll need to use a polish, either chemical or abrasive to clean the paint and follow with a new coat of wax/sealant.
I am not sure if I need a Quick Detailer / Optimum Spray Wax, or just need a regular polisher. Will it be okay to aplly these Quick Detailer / Spray wax on a non-waxed surface?

Thks.
A QD is not meant to be a standalone product and would not recommend using it on a non waxed surface. Optimum Spray Wax FS UPPS can be used as a standalone product, however, the surfaces should be clean and defect free prior to application.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Pro

I use it religiously, got it at a classic auto show this past summer. works great, and unlike some other quick detailers it will actually cause the water to bead. great for my door jams after a wash and like you mentioned to add that additional shine or gloss to the paint.

I say use it. its great.

my 2cnts.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:17 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I have used this product for a few months and it beads water as advertised. This is true as long as your finish is in good shape with a nice coat of wax or sealant. I would definitely not call this product a spray wax. You are not to let it dry or it will make your life more difficult. It seems to evaporate quite quickly but it will leave residue if not wiped like the instructions say to do so. It is fine for removing finger prints or very light dust. Note, I said very light dust! I will use a wood handle "CA Car Duster" to first remove the bulk of the dust on the car. I only use the UQD with "micro dust" on the paint. I admit to having OCD when it comes to inducing swirls and streaks on the paint.

The "Hydrophobic Polymer Technology" that Meguiars claims seems to have some validity. I have monitored how my car beads water with a fresh coat of wax and the wax + UQD. There is definitely a difference. The wax +UQD beads water like crazy and will not simply wash off with the next wash. The term "Hydrophobic" is definitely applicable.

Pros:
1. The product beads water like crazy. Note, that there is a 12 hour cure time with this product.

2. The product mists on very fine and easily wipes away. After curing it can enhance the slickness of the LSP already applied.

Cons:
1. This product can streak if you use too much. An over saturated MF cloth will also help cause streaking. I get the best results by folding the MF cloth such that I have a dry side and an application side. I use one spray for about a 1 square foot area. I use the application side of the MF to wipe and the dry side to buff off any residue. When the dry side is getting too moist I refold the MF and obtain a new application side and dry side. I normally only need to use 1/2 of my MF on my TL.

2. This product will evaporate fairly quickly on a warm surface. Also, do not apply on a warm surface without having your MF ready. If the surface is warm then I would reduce the size of your application space.

If you are looking for a product to enhance the water beading and look of your finish between washes then give it a try. It's a nice product.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:42 PM
Racer

Thanks guys. Just purchased it online

When I had my honda, I never cared so much about what products to use.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
This stuff is great. I used it after it rained the other night and it goes on easy and just wipe off. It rained again last night and the water beads and just falls off.

Also try Megs new NXT 2.0 wax.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:57 PM
71Q

I agree, it seems great for what it is... The water beads like crazy, and typically it makes the finish seem smoother. It made a friends car feel and look as though it had been waxed, and it had not for months, right before he traded it in. Another guy used this stuff, and his car continued to bead water for nearly 2 months effectively. Had not had time to do anything else with the car.

Seems decent for the price, and availability at local discount auto parts joints.

Take care
Mark
Old 01-29-2008, 06:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
after meeting -desper- and learning what a properly clayed cleaned waxed and polished TL looks like, I got a few things and went at it on my 01.

Next azine meet I went to, 100 miles away, arrived 30 minutes early and hit the entire car with the QD.
People came up and remarked-wow! there's not a bug or even any brake dust on your car
I opened the trunk to reveal the spray bottle and dirty rags. That plastic panel/space on the left side of the trunk fits supplies great.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:39 PM
Racer

i really want to try this product but it's not available in Canada yet....

Anyone in Toronto seen it anywhere yet?