Major Detailing Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 05:18 PM
SOLD: 03 SSM CLS Auto

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Major Detailing Questions

Hey guys, I'm looking to get some much needed information about detailing. My fiance's car has been really neglected practically it's whole life, and is in dire need of a detail. I would need to first start with a good rinse and wash, what is a recomended soap to use, or is it really just a personal preference? I would next claybar the entire car, and would probably use the Mother's California Gold kit I already have. Her car is black, so the swirl marks really stand out along with some surface scratches, which is where I'd probably use PB's 2.0 or 4star compound. I've been reading up about PC's and I am really not sure where to start with the different pads and such. I've read a few threads saying to get an Orange pad, a White pad, a Black pad and a backing plate. Which pad would be ideal for which application? I would lastly want to finish the detail up with a quality wax, one that will protect for a good while, and retain all the work that I will put into this detail.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Soaps really are a personal choice. People like soaps for there lubricity, smell, and ability to rinse cleanly. Your clay choice is fine, make sure you use plenty of the Showtime included with it, especially on black!
As for Polishes, looks like you have some SSR 2, and thats fine. The FS BS Med Compound would also be a great choice. As for pads, the orange will be necessary if its been neglected for some time. I used an Orange on a Camry today that had been well taken care of, but really needed some deep cleaning. Its my go to pad about 90% of the time.
As for "wax", Polymer all the way.....FS UPP, would be my top pick, or Duragloss 111.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:34 PM

What would the white and black pad be used for? Also, does the PC work well when applying wax, or should that be done by hand with a MF towel?
Old 12-17-2006, 12:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gaping46and2
What would the white and black pad be used for? Also, does the PC work well when applying wax, or should that be done by hand with a MF towel?
I assume we're talking about the Excel Erasures. The white pad is a light cut polishing pad used for removing light swirls or spiderwebbing. The black pad is used for light polishing and cleaning (AIO, PB Pro Polish). You can apply waxes with the PC using a green pad at about 3-4 speed range. Most prefer hand application and removal by hand. For more pad info, see this thread.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:04 PM

Thanks for all the info guys, it's really helped me out. I just purchased a PC 7336, and now I need to get the pads to go with it. I've been reading about backing plates and pad sizes for different counter weights. Now, from what I understand, the PC 7336 comes with a 6" CW, which will need to be paired with a 6" Backing plate and at least 6.5" pads, am I correct? Or would switching to the 7424 5" CW and using the 5" backing plate w/ the 6.5" pads be a more ideal setup? I'm looking to get the ExelErasure Sampler Kit, with one of each pad just to start with, then purchase replacements when needed, and using the Four Star Car wash concentrate, Ultimate auto wash shampoo, Med. cut compound, and Ultimate Paint protection. Does it sound like I'm heading in the right direction?
Old 12-21-2006, 07:57 AM
Living the Dream

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
The white pad is a light cut polishing pad used for removing light swirls or spiderwebbing. The black pad is used for light polishing and cleaning (AIO, PB Pro Polish). You can apply waxes with the PC using a green pad at about 3-4 speed range. Most prefer hand application and removal by hand.
Okay this is what I've been waiting for.

My car (babied to death) only has light swirl marks and spider webbing, yeah sure a couple other small scratches but nothing to shake a stick at; so a white pad is what you'd recommend? What does the orange pad do? And I do think I'd do a hand application of wax.

I know there are lots of threads out there about pads, but what I get from them is you need an orange, white, green but doesn't really say what they do.

Thanks for your help, I may run by Lowes (Home Depot) today to see what I can find
Old 12-21-2006, 10:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
cmschmie vbmenu_register("postmenu_5157432", true);
White is for very very light swirls (spiderwebs), and works great with light polishes. The Orange is a very versatile pad, can be used for light polishes and light compounds, as well as aggressive compound i.e. Hyper Compound, and with rotary's.
The single most important factor when selecting pads and product is too match up pad and product. The pad must support the product, or your not going to achieve desired results. All too often, i get email and PM's asking why something didnt work for them the way it did for another. This is the cause of most dissapointments.
Back to your scenario, by your description, a White Pad with Optimum Polish would/should be the ticket. If by chance the desired results are not achieved, an Orange pad should be the next step. (Which brings up another point)
Having the right products on hand.........Sometimes (most of the time) its difficult to perform a job without a choice of proper tools. Have a variety of choices available to you, so if need be, you can experiment with each to find the right ticket for success. Everyones surface is different, as are techniques, temperatures, humidity etc. What works for one, may not work for another due to these subtle differences. Keep us posted.