lost cause.. need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007 | 08:58 PM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

lost cause.. need help

Hey guys I have an 07 NBP TL and as most of you know NBP is hard to keep clean . When I first got the car I didnt know any better and went to the local car wash at least once a week. After that I learned about the whole wash and wax process. Ive been reading up threads on here and detailuniversity.com about everything and have been hand washing and doing everything on my car for the past few months. Now everytime I look at my car I still have alot of swirls so I want to try to try out some new products.

Ive been using the meguiars OTC stuff like the 3 step system (paint cleaner, polish, and then the NXT wax). It helped it but I want it to be like new again.

Can someone help answer some questions:
1. What is the best stuff to use to remove my swirls? I have alottttt of them.

2. Whats a good polish and wax? Ive been hearing alot about Zaino but all the numbers seem to confuse me.

3. Whats a good soap to wash the car weekly?

4. I have a 10" orbital that I bought from Autozone. Is that good enought to be using to wax it?

5. After I started looking into Zaino I saw this product called Ultima Paint Guard. Its supposedly better than Zaino. Anyone hear or experience it? http://www.autopia-carcare.com/zaino.html

Thanks alot your answers are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by sunny201; 12-16-2007 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12-16-2007 | 09:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Zaino is pretty easy to understand after a while:
Z-2 Makes Car look better wax/protection
z-5- fills in light scratches wax/protection
Z-7 car wash soap
z-6 quick detailer.

These are the basic items needed from zaino along with a clay bar.

Your best bet is to get some four star medium cut and light cut compounds and use those after claying the car. Then follow up with some wax. I have zaino and love it. It has lasted me over 1.5 years from the inital application. All i do is put a spray of z-6 on it once a month to keep the shine there.
Old 12-17-2007 | 09:34 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sunny201
Can someone help answer some questions:
1. What is the best stuff to use to remove my swirls? I have alottttt of them.
You'll need a polish with abrasives. some of the favorites here include FS Body Shop, Optimum (compound) and PB SSR's.
2. Whats a good polish and wax? Ive been hearing alot about Zaino but all the numbers seem to confuse me.
Polishes are basically used for correcting/removing surface defects. See above. Waxes/Selants provide protection from the elements. That said, some of the forum favorites include FS UPP, OptiSeal by Optimum and 1Z Glans. As far as Zaino goes, your question can be answered at this thread
3. Whats a good soap to wash the car weekly?
Use one that can be purchased OTC like Megs Gold Class or NXT Wash. If you want something with mosre suds then check online resources like Exceldetail
, Autogeek and Autopia.
4. I have a 10" orbital that I bought from Autozone. Is that good enought to be using to wax it?
Those are okay for wax application and removal. Other than that, they're totally useless IMO. My preference is to hand apply waxes/sealants, likewise for removal. On occasion I'll use a PC (Porter Cable)
5. After I started looking into Zaino I saw this product called Ultima Paint Guard. Its supposedly better than Zaino. Anyone hear or experience it? http://www.autopia-carcare.com/zaino.html

Thanks alot your answers are greatly appreciated.
I haven't used Ultima, however there is a similar product called Optimum PoliSeal. It is a wipe on/walk away product. Several things to keep in mind before using these products. The surface should be free of any defects and imperfections meaning no swirls, light scratches and oxidation. Theses selants need a sterile surface to bond to.
Old 12-17-2007 | 10:04 AM
Just dial 1911

I've got an NBP also. When I first got it, I polished with SSR1 and sealed with Four Star UPP. Its been over 4 months now since I got it and its got a few swirls that need to be corrected. If you have a lot of swirls, I would suggest Optimum polish.

That 10" buffer wont work for removing swirls. You need to get a PC with the correct pads to get the best results.
Old 12-17-2007 | 08:51 PM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Thanks alot guys.. I hope I can get it right.
Old 12-17-2007 | 11:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Thanks alot guys.. I hope I can get it right.
Nothin a little coaching from the Ziners cant fix......