Little scratch swirls after use of ScratchX on a NBP TL?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 07:08 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Little scratch swirls after use of ScratchX on a NBP TL?

Hey all:

I just took delivery of my brand new NBP 08 TL three days ago. Well, I found a small scratch on the trunk that I thought I could fix easily. It seems I may of caused more problems for myself.

Anyway, after reading the directions multiple times, I started applying to the specific area. After looking at it in the light though, I can see very small scratch marks, very fine, but I can see them when light reflects off of the applied area.

I am using the foam sponge (I called their 1-800 number) and it seems to not help to no avail. From what I've researched, I'm supposed to rub the ScratchX, none of the product should be wiped off.

Suggestions? Am I SOL? Anything that may fix this?
Old 10-31-2008, 09:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Couple of questions ..

a) Was it a new yellow foam applicator?
b) What did you wipe it off with?
Old 10-31-2008, 09:23 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Couple of questions ..

a) Was it a new yellow foam applicator?
b) What did you wipe it off with?
Yes.
A microfiber cloth.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Well you have to wipe it off! Use a small amount with either a foam app or mini microfiber. Apply in the same direction as the scratch, until product disappears or dries. Then wipe away with MF.
Personally, i dont really like the Megs SctatchX? I dont really like recommending its use, especially on NBP. I think what your seeing are halograms from the abrasives breaking down too quickly, or perhaps you didnt use enough and sort of buffed it dry. Ive used it a few times but always had better results with traditional polishes applied with a 4" pad and UDM/PC.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:09 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Well you have to wipe it off! Use a small amount with either a foam app or mini microfiber. Apply in the same direction as the scratch, until product disappears or dries. Then wipe away with MF.
Personally, i dont really like the Megs SctatchX? I dont really like recommending its use, especially on NBP. I think what your seeing are halograms from the abrasives breaking down too quickly, or perhaps you didnt use enough and sort of buffed it dry. Ive used it a few times but always had better results with traditional polishes applied with a 4" pad and UDM/PC.
Excel, do you have any products you recommend that I can use by hand in your store? I want something I can use for going out because I forsee this happening quite a bit.

I think I was going to have a heartattack yesterday when I did this, so you'd make my day if you can help!
Old 10-31-2008, 10:39 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
scratch x isnt really abrasive enough to micro marr your paint, so i would think with a little patience you can buff out the marks you have...i would use a dime size amount on your foam app, and buff in small tight cirlces until the product starts to haze and dissapear, dont keep working it in until its completely gone, but you do need to work it in until it breaks down...buff clean with a clean microfibre, and repeat....
Old 10-31-2008, 10:42 AM
2012 SH-AWD / Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of NBP!! I have one, and it's a very tough battle to keep it in top-notch shape (and I get paid to detail cars!).

You will need to learn and perfect your washing and drying technique right away, otherwise you will go crazy! I've had MF towels in the past that while soft, still induce marring in the paint.

The best I've found are the Eurow Shag MF towels (Patrick sells them).

Best of luck.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:46 AM
Registered Nutsack

If it's only a minor scratch then use this
http://www.quixx-usa.com/products/overview/47/In:en

It was rated #1 in Consumer Reports and it actually works. You rub the "Step 1" stuff in for a minute or 2 then put the Step 2 polish over that and your done.
The stuff kicks ass
Old 10-31-2008, 10:49 AM
Registered Nutsack

Oh, and places like Wal-Mart and auto parts stores sell it. It's a little pricey, around $15-$18, but worth it IMO.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:54 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fokkerfitch83
Oh, and places like Wal-Mart and auto parts stores sell it. It's a little pricey, around $15-$18, but worth it IMO.
I saw this, I'm wondering if I should try it.

I'm going to get some new foam sponges again and try the ScratchX and see what I can do. If not, I'll buy this stuff.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:54 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TSC17
Welcome to the wonderful world of NBP!! I have one, and it's a very tough battle to keep it in top-notch shape (and I get paid to detail cars!).

You will need to learn and perfect your washing and drying technique right away, otherwise you will go crazy! I've had MF towels in the past that while soft, still induce marring in the paint.

The best I've found are the Eurow Shag MF towels (Patrick sells them).

Best of luck.
Thanks for the advice! I love the car and I will fight this!
Old 10-31-2008, 11:15 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dpaluszek
I saw this, I'm wondering if I should try it.

I'm going to get some new foam sponges again and try the ScratchX and see what I can do. If not, I'll buy this stuff.
stick with the scratch x, and start searching for a udm/pc and start up the machine polishing program....get some decent polish, not found in stores, and a decent sealant, also not found in stores...exceldetail.com is a good place to start....
Old 10-31-2008, 11:30 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vinnier6
stick with the scratch x, and start searching for a udm/pc and start up the machine polishing program....get some decent polish, not found in stores, and a decent sealant, also not found in stores...exceldetail.com is a good place to start....
I have never used a udm/pc before, so I have quite a bit of homework before I use that. You think using a udm with ScratchX will take care of this?
Old 10-31-2008, 11:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Real quick remedy.......
Optimum Polish or Compound (4oz)
Proper applicators......
Old 10-31-2008, 12:51 PM
The Detailer

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Stick with this advice. ^

Quixx just looks like a glaze to me.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:26 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dpaluszek
I have never used a udm/pc before, so I have quite a bit of homework before I use that. You think using a udm with ScratchX will take care of this?
using a udm/pc couldnt be easier, very user friendly, and near impossible to damage your car....with a pc or udm, you wont even need scratch x...just a normal mild polish and a white pad....you will want to polish out your whole car and seal it after, and it will glow better then new...
Old 11-01-2008, 06:46 AM
Registered Nutsack

^^
Right, a PC/UDM would be ideal down the long road of paint maintenance. I was just suggesting a quick and economical fix. When you start talking about PC's and UDM's you're now talking about spending $100-200, rather than $18, and that's not including the $10 pads and $20 backing plates, etc. Quixx beats ScratchX hands down. Meguiars makes some good stuff but, ScratchX is garbage IMO.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:58 AM
Former Sponsor

ScratchX is garbage IMO.
I wasnt going to go that far, but now that youve said it, I agree with you..........Quixxx is actually not a whole heck of a lot more then a compound with wetsand paper......Although good, it could get one in some trouble if they go about it wrong, or attempt too severe of a scratch repair with it......
Old 11-02-2008, 06:40 AM
Registered Nutsack