leather protector and scotchguard

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 04:36 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leather protector and scotchguard

I'm looking for any advice on scotchguarding my carpets and mats. What has anyone used. Also does anyone know how often I should treat my leather seats and what do I use.
Thanks for the help.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Thumbs up Rub it in!

Originally Posted by smeds
I'm looking for any advice on scotchguarding my carpets and mats. What has anyone used. Also does anyone know how often I should treat my leather seats and what do I use.
Thanks for the help.
Use a can of Scotch Guard for Carpets (WalMart). One can does the whole car and the carpeted mats. Wipe the excess off the plastic trim while still wet. Great stuff. When you spill coffee (not "if"), it will just bead up and stay on top for you to wipe up.

I like Zaino "Leather In A Bottle" mostly because of the smell. :facelick: Any quality leather dressing to replace essential oils and keep the leather soft and pliable like Zemol. NOT ARMORALL.

TL's leather is thirsty. Treat a couple times about a week apart, rubbing it in gently. The holes drink it up. It will feel buttery soft and smell so good like a tack shop. Then if it starts feeling dry or hard, time to treat again. Maybe every six months depending on your climate and use.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:54 PM
USC YQUE

Red face Baby (TL) got Back!

Originally Posted by xpditor42
...I like Zaino "Leather In A Bottle" mostly because of the smell. :facelick: Any quality leather dressing to replace essential oils and keep the leather soft and pliable like Zemol. NOT ARMORALL.

TL's leather is thirsty. Treat a couple times about a week apart, rubbing it in gently. The holes drink it up. It will feel buttery soft and smell so good like a tack shop. Then if it starts feeling dry or hard, time to treat again. Maybe every six months depending on your climate and use.
From all I've read I take that using Zaino will reduce the likelihood of the infamous 'butt print' on the seating surface?

I sat in a new TL that the salesperson stated arrived to the dealership on 30 May and appeared very new (VIN# 50XXX and 4 miles to boot)-as a looked at the seat sure enough the butt print was there!
Old 06-01-2004, 11:48 PM
Cruisin'

For Leather -- I like zaino as a first choice and Lexol as second in both cases use sparingly. Lexol is trickier to use than zaino -- a bit more lasting but ... if you do not follow directions it makes a stickey mess. There are a few more out there but Eiznett, Klasss, Leatherique, etc each has followers. Again IMO Zaino is easy to use, smells great and works. Get the cleaner also.

For scotchguard -- scotchguard works. I like the 303 High Tech Fabric Guard better. It is available at most boating supply shops and many online detailing places. Lasts longer than scotchguard basically a pump spray so IMO it is easier to apply but that is debatable.

Although you did not ask:
For vinyl -- I mix 303 Aerospace Protectant and Vinylx. 303 alone is too shiney but it lasts longer than vinylx. Usually spray both on an applicator or cloth and then apply.

And for tires I use straight Armoral works for me, is easy to find, is not greasy and if done right does not sling.

Obviously my opinion.
ATB,
Tom
Old 06-02-2004, 01:24 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks you guys. Great advice.