leather cleaning ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 10:10 AM
Tristate Vip Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
leather cleaning ???

Hi,

I use meg. leather cleaner on my seats. I just wanted to know if you guys like it and how do you use it. I follow the directions on the bottle but it doesnt seem to take out the stains from the leather. The seats without the stains end up soft and clean but the driver seat never really gets too clean, my bicep gets a good workout though. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:28 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Cleaning- use a soft horse hair brush (Groit's Leather & Interior Brush) and/or a vacuum to remove any dust, apply a cleaning solution (Water /Woolite® or Dreft® 6:1 ratio or stronger) on to an applicator pad and apply to one area at a time (i.e. a seat back). To remove stubborn dirt or grime gently agitate the surface with a boar's hair cleaning brush (this will not harm the leather) then use a clean, damp Microfiber towel to rinse.

Maintenance cleaning- use a cleaning solution (Water /Woolite® or Dreft® 10:1 ratio) on to an applicator pad and apply to one area at a time

Stubborn stains- dependent upon the leathers condition or how dirty it is consider using a leather-cleaning product. (Leatherique's Prestine Clean, Groit's Leather Cleaner or Autoglym Leather Cleaner)

Notes:
1. With all cleaning products, always test a small, indiscrete area first to ensure it won't discolour or stain the surface, and ensure that the pH of the product is suitable for the material.
2. The harsh use of chemicals actually keeps dirt trapped in the fibres of the leather. If you abuse or neglect your leather, it won't survive
3. Do not use- Saddle soap (it's made to clean an entirely different type of leather), abrasive cleaners, furniture leather polish (they contain a wax), products that contain harsh solvent s or alcohol, as they will cause the stitching to fray and eventually break, petroleum distillate, bleach or ammonia based products.
4. Keeping leather clean is important, but conditioning is the key to preserving its useful life, flexibility, appearance and longevity.

JonM
Old 01-03-2005, 04:31 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
see if you can help me with this:

I have 00 TL. My leather looks like new everywhere except the driver seat. I used various leather conditioners and stuff, but that doesnt last long at all. My driver's seat looks crappy where my ass is , anyway to fix that?
Old 05-18-2005, 07:22 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by jleon2516
Hi,

I use meg. leather cleaner on my seats. I just wanted to know if you guys like it and how do you use it. I follow the directions on the bottle but it doesnt seem to take out the stains from the leather. The seats without the stains end up soft and clean but the driver seat never really gets too clean, my bicep gets a good workout though. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
2001 CLs with tan-creme colored seats. Other threads i.d. as being part leather part vinyl. Agreed?

I tried some McGuires Gold Class rich leather cleaner/conditioner.
Didn't work that well and smells chemical funky.
Lexol I've heard all good. Will try this week and post.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:23 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TeknoKing
My driver's seat looks crappy where my ass is , anyway to fix that?

Wipe your ass before you put your pants back on.

Old 05-18-2005, 07:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Soft Scrub , Hands down is the best at cleaning leather, then get a good conditioner and condition them.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think most folks settle for a quick fix of applying whatever product on the leather, then expecting it to just "do the job". It takes more than just a terry cloth rag and some spray to make it look nice. I was told by a leather repair guy to always think that shoe leather, sofa leather and car leather are not different things. The product has to be worked in (possibly overnight) and brushed (like shoes) after the skin has "soaked". This apparently makes the leather last longer.

If the leather does not look like it needs conditioning, then don't do it. If it's a new car then it may not be necesary to apply conditioners on it until the leather has been broken-in. I also believe that it may be possible to "over-condition" the leather or make it used to holding too much product that it actually dries with just a little neglect.

Knowing this, I never really paid too much attention to the leather until the 2nd year. I used meg's GC cleaner/ cond then brushed it with a flat horsehair brush the following morning.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:48 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Leather hides will stretch given time / use, I don't know of a safe method of 're-sizing' or shrinking them.

1.Covered Leather (Urethane, Vinyl or MB-Tex):
Since late ‘80s early ‘90s 85% of vehicle manufacturers have used covered leather for their interior upholstery. It’s made from natural hides, but uniquely treated with a light pigmented urethane resin coating or a vinyl covering to make it more viable for automotive seating. It retains the softness of natural top-grain leather but resists fading in direct sunlight, leathers worst enemy

Spills wipe off with a moistened cloth, the urethane resin or the vinyl covering require oils to stop it from drying out (just like a paint system's clear coat) the leather also requires replacement of natural oils. Clean, condition and apply a UVR protection as in items 1, 2 & 3 on page 2.

Identifying characteristics- uniform colour and grain patterns; will not scratch easily; water drops will not change colour.

2. Cleaning- use a soft horse hair brush (Groit's Leather & Interior Brush) and/or a vacuum to remove any dust, apply a cleaning solution (Water /Woolite® or Dreft® 6:1 ratio or stronger) on to an applicator pad and apply to one area at a time (i.e. a seat back). To remove stubborn dirt or grime gently agitate the surface with a boar's hair cleaning brush (this will not harm the leather) then use a clean, damp Microfiber towel to rinse.

Recommended products-
Urethane Coated Leather- use Groit's Leather Care or Zanio Z-10 Leather in a bottle
JonM