It's never too late - A story of a GT3 revival and full body clear wrap

Old 03-17-2017, 06:35 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 18 Posts
It's never too late - A story of a GT3 revival and full body clear wrap

There is an assumption that unless your car is brand new, it’s “too late” to put clear paint protection film, and there is some merit to it but it also is not concrete. There are several options on what you can do with your prized possessions current and future conditions that requires thorough evaluation and planning with a capable operation. In the case I present below, we decided that while this 997.2 GT3 wasn’t perfect, it also wasn’t out of reach to become perfect and kept that way. In our favorite color, black, with 45k miles on the clock, the owner fully intended to continue enjoying this visceral vehicle but didn’t want it to chance compromising the condition any further. That’s where we came in.

There were some other plans as well, such as some enhancements to the soundtrack from the 3.8L as well as changing up the look of the vehicle with powder coating the wheels to a satin black for a more aggressive appearance.

First order of business was removing the originally installed partial clear bra. I have several gripes with a partial bra set up, especially on any body style 911. They do not provide sufficient coverage for the slanted, low front end and detract from the beautiful curves of the fenders. Another important aspect is the installer, which in this case, was subpar as you will see below..

Razor marks in the finish on the fenders, rather than trimmed safely away from the panel and wrapped over. These fortunately were removed with careful wet sanding, avoiding repaint.

Solid line etching where the partial bra ended on the hood panel, attempts to remain after removal.

With the original bra removed and full vehicle prep completed, we can see what we were up against with the condition. 997 paint tends to have a medium to soft finish, allowing heavy marring and damage like shown to occur…

The condition may look alarming or hopeless, but with the confirmation of paint depths and all original surfaces, I was confident we could get it looking proper before we moved forward with clear wrapping the entire surface. This next photo is a rough 50/50 photo shown after compounding before polishing – hence the haze still seen.

The paint correction process was completed, which returned this GT car back to looking refreshed and new again as you can see below.

Next was reviving the interior with steam and leather treatment. Steam is the proper way to get alcantara surfaces cleaned up, also removing the nappy feel to untreated alcantara.

Now it was time to break her all down and get ready for the clear wrap, using my in house certified technicians, it was properly disassembled, wrapped and re assembled without issue. We also removed the wheels to get changed from the chipping OEM painted finish to a durable powder coated satin black. The hood was removed to do a thorough paint touch up on a few areas past the original partial that were damaged, it was also wrapped off the car to give a consistent full access wrap over.

While it was in this state we also went ahead and removed the factory exhaust and header set up to install a full Innotech Performance system, giving this GT3 a near F1 sound on the street. Here is a before and after shot.

The clear film was done mostly custom, some templates were used as they can be modified where necessary. However, there is nothing wrong with a custom install with the reassurance from your installer that they know the proper trimming techniques and have experience doing so..extensive experience. Fear mongering that custom is damaging because of removing parts or cutting paint is simply untrue and is possible. Fact is, even with template installs, trimming is still often needed, so you will still want your installer to properly equipped to do it properly. With that said, the pictures will show the entire process of the film install process and its end results with invisible appearance.

The following photos show the end results of the custom install. The door handle surround usually would have an edge outline around it which just risks dirt and lifting over time. This is now avoided with the film tucked neatly behind the handle assembly not allowing contaminants underneath or an unsightly line.

Here is the joining on the passenger door and rear quarter panel, no lines or edges to be seen. Wrapped over and tucked under.

No outline around the Porsche crest or GT3 badging

All tucked behind and under the taillights as well as the engine compartment jam

Now for the overall finished results, showing the same depth and gloss as bare paint but protected against penetrating damage – to a very tall extent, clear film is still a sacrificial barrier, though it is unlikely to get paint damage from road debris.

Don’t worry, the GT3RS in the background got the same exact treatment…write up coming.

In summation, this 2010 GT3 with 45k miles is now looking better than new and is protected to enjoy the next 45k and not lose its luster this time.
It’s never too late to treat and protect your car. Sure it’s always recommended and most effective to perform this level of protection at the start, but there’s always the possibility to reset the clock. Of course, in the hands of a proven, capable outfit.

As always, thanks for looking! Any and all feed back is appreciated!
-Oakes
The following users liked this post:
EvilVirus (03-20-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 07:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
I applaude your good work sir. That looks simply amazing and I am extremely impressed with how much better you got the condition of that car. Truly gives me goals for my own car. I just bought a black car and it need a little bit of love, hoping to have it looking like this after a LONG days work. I am going to start off polishing by hand though rather than orbital.

I also need a little bit of advice, the car was owned by an old couple and it had some bug splatters that have been there since (I hope only) this past summer. I took it to the carwash and used some autoglym bug remover and it removed the bugs guts, but from what I understand it has definitely etched the paint being on that long. Is there anything I can do to fix those etchings?

thanks in advance
Old 03-17-2017, 11:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,574 Likes on 6,625 Posts
Old 03-18-2017, 06:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 319 Posts
WOW that is some awesome work you guys do!
Old 03-20-2017, 09:14 AM
Instructor

Thank you guys! Appreciate it!

Originally Posted by RDX10
I applaude your good work sir. That looks simply amazing and I am extremely impressed with how much better you got the condition of that car. Truly gives me goals for my own car. I just bought a black car and it need a little bit of love, hoping to have it looking like this after a LONG days work. I am going to start off polishing by hand though rather than orbital.

I also need a little bit of advice, the car was owned by an old couple and it had some bug splatters that have been there since (I hope only) this past summer. I took it to the carwash and used some autoglym bug remover and it removed the bugs guts, but from what I understand it has definitely etched the paint being on that long. Is there anything I can do to fix those etchings?

thanks in advance
This all depends on the extent of the etching, in some cases polishing by machine will remove, more often light to moderate wet sanding might be needed and then polishing out the sanding marks. Like bird stains, bug etchings are acidic and make their mark. Just depends on your comfort level, and if its past that threshold, would consider finding a professional to address it. Someone experience with paint correction will know how to handle that kind of damage.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Showoff
Nick that is just amazing.
I just love watching someone highly skilled in their craft. You have an amazing team (can vouch for it myself with the work to my car).
Hope to have a new vehicle in the stable next year for the wife and will definitely be sending her down to you for the full Oakes treatment.

Anyone even remotely close to the PA area and is looking for top-notch detailing services, look Nick up.

Neil
Old 03-21-2017, 11:19 AM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Impressive work as always!!!! I love reading your write-ups and seeing the pictures!!
Old 03-21-2017, 12:17 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
That poor Porsche GT3!!!! Who neglects a car like that, that badly?!

Magnificent work on the refresh, though. I wonder how much of the clear coat you had to cut down to get the finish as pristine as it looks now. That poor car looks like it went through hell and back prior to you getting your hands on it.

Beautiful work on the wrap job also. Simply fantastic attention to detail. If I lived in the PA area, I'd definitely be utilizing your services.

If you don't mind sharing, what would a refresh and wrap job like that cost?
Old 03-21-2017, 03:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts
Awesome job!
Old 03-23-2017, 07:24 AM
Instructor

Thank you everyone!

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Showoff
Nick that is just amazing.
I just love watching someone highly skilled in their craft. You have an amazing team (can vouch for it myself with the work to my car).
Hope to have a new vehicle in the stable next year for the wife and will definitely be sending her down to you for the full Oakes treatment.

Anyone even remotely close to the PA area and is looking for top-notch detailing services, look Nick up.

Neil
Haha, I'm just flexing my internet muscles, kidding! Thank you sir for the kind words and whenever youre ready let me know! Hope you are well!

Originally Posted by TacoBello
That poor Porsche GT3!!!! Who neglects a car like that, that badly?!

Magnificent work on the refresh, though. I wonder how much of the clear coat you had to cut down to get the finish as pristine as it looks now. That poor car looks like it went through hell and back prior to you getting your hands on it.

Beautiful work on the wrap job also. Simply fantastic attention to detail. If I lived in the PA area, I'd definitely be utilizing your services.

If you don't mind sharing, what would a refresh and wrap job like that cost?
The owner now understands the care needed and is being proactive fortunately, he's even sending his ordered cars directly to me to be done right from the start!

This particular job without the exhaust and wheels was around the $12k mark, again thats for full correction, undercarriage, interior rejuvenation, full body custom clear wrap and ceramic coating on top of every surface. A few weeks of work went into this one!
The following users liked this post:
projektvertx (03-23-2017)

Search this Thread