I think i just ruined my new tsx!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
but i did clay the car..now and used the optimum with an orange pad..and my paint is clear but still hazy im going to try it one more time and see if it removes it.
You need to step your pad down a notch.....! And on dark colors, the Optimum Finish Polish is buttery nice....it really helps with "clouding" on darks....
Old 06-08-2009, 09:12 PM
I'm a thrill seeker in my

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Some great advice has already been given multiple times in this thread (which is what I love about this forum), and after thoroughly reading all the posts I'm going to make one assumption that has been mentioned. Not claying the car may be one of the main factors for the newly found swirls. By not removing the contaminants in your paint before polishing you are essentially spreading them around as you polish. You car's paint should feel like glass when you rub your finger tips across it. If you feel bumps at all it's sap, rail dust, dirt, etc stuck if your paint that is will make polishing more difficult than it has to be.

Cole's notes:

Wash, dry, CLAY, tape, polish, seal, wax

You have a beautiful new car and I'm sure you'll do what you can to keep it looking mint. Be thankful that all you have to worry about at this point is minor swirls that can EASILY be removed with a proper polish. I have to deal with 7 year old paint that I feel was not properly maintained before I got it. I've invested hundreds of dollars in my own detailing arsenal to save myself money in the long run. I have learned after my first detail experience that the results you will see from other, more experienced members will only come with time. It is also VERY IMPORTANT that you understand all of the pad types (their aggressiveness and use) and how the compounds, polishes and protection products you choose will work with them.

Time and patience are your too best friends with detailing, so make sure that when you choose to detail your TSX you set aside a couple days at least. Trying to cram it all into one day (like I did on my first try of 12 hours), is exhausting. Spread out the work (keeping your car garaged in the process) and do as much as you can at once while taking breaks.

A random note: I would gladly trade a moderate to heavily swirled paint job that is free of rock chips, scratches and scuffs anyday over having to deal with all of those other paint defects. At least swirls can be more easily corrected. Numerous rock chips, scratches through the paint and minor scuffs are A LOT worse to deal with.

I think I've said enough though. All the best to you, I hope you achieve the results you're after.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:56 AM
312 HP 271 TQ Dynapack

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXinSouthBayCalifornia
Well Pat has been helping me, but I haven't been able to hook up with him in person yet.

Still, I'm interested in learning anything I can.

Can you give the 411 on the "free Meguiars classes"?
all you gotta do is sign up to Meguiar's forum and drop your name on the list to whatever day you want. They have classes thursdays and saturdays. I just went last thursday; good learning experience. here's the link;

https://acurazine.com/forums/socal-310/meguiars-open-garage-2009-a-728360/

Originally Posted by yaze21
dude im in the same situation as you because it happen to me also, but i did clay the car..now and used the optimum with an orange pad..and my paint is clear but still hazy im going to try it one more time and see if it removes it. DON'T GIVE UP!
+1 on Excel's reply to this. You can very much expect to see haze after the orange pad (specially on darker cars). You need to follow up with a finishing polish and white(polishing) or black(finishing) pad. I have NBP and finished with Menzerna Nano Finish and the white pad...but I still see some hazy spots in bright sunlight. So I plan on hitting it with the black pad next time.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mklaudt
Do the "spider webs" look like the swirls in Patrick's first picture? I think the poster above has it right - I'm sure they were already there but were just covered up with product, and the polishing just "brought them out". What you were using would be very hard to damage your paint or create the defects you're talking about. - black is a PITA to get perfect and really shows flaws, but when it's completely polished, nothing beats it. I just bought a new black car over the weekend, and could not believe the amount of swirls that were on it at the dealer. 6-8 hours of claying, polishing, etc finally got it looking like the new car that it actually is.

Patrick's instructions above are excellent. Pic a small section and work with his directions, redoing it as needed, until you get it the way you like it. then you can apply that method to the rest of the car. Patience and practice (A lot of each) is all you need. We've all been there (in fact, I still am there - but each time you do it will get easier) - good luck!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This post really helps.

Especially if you bought a NEW car, and even did the claying and polishing, and also had swirls.

I had no idea I could "bring the swirls out", that were already there.

I really put a whole lot of work in, and then I think I just really got frustrated, when I saw what I didn't understand.

Really, thank you to EVERYONE (especially Patrick), for putting up with my bitching, and showing me some patience, and setting me straight.

I'm not worthy of you guys, and I pray that God blesses you all (even the non-Christians ).

Peace

PS - and yes I have a problem with cussing.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by miner
Take 2 Midol and check back later

Seriously, this site is loaded with people who will guide you through this and help you out. My '06 RL has NBP color paint (black) and is a PITA to correct but it can be done. Patience, grasshopper, will bring you great results.

Miner, just wanted to tell you that the Midol worked!

Thanks!!!!!!
Old 06-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Miner, just wanted to tell you that the Midol worked!

Thanks!!!!!!
Hes pissed and full of humor! What a guy!
Old 06-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Darvocet works for me. Percodan as a backup.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:01 AM
Banned

So do you guys think, at this point, I should RE-DO the polishing?

If yes, I've already applied two coats of polymer... does that change anything?
Old 06-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Hes pissed and full of humor! What a guy!

Pat, did you receive my email?

I'd like to get your take on the claying, as you instructed against it previously.

Also would like to know if you think I should proceed to re-polish? (see question above)
Old 06-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Pat, did you receive my email?

I'd like to get your take on the claying, as you instructed against it previously.

Also would like to know if you think I should proceed to re-polish? (see question above)
Email has been replied to.
As for the claying, I mentioned it wasnt imperative being as the car was new, but overall, it is a process which should be done twice annually.
Polishing is the only route I know of that will remove those spiderwebs.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,409 Likes on 3,021 Posts
Clay won't do much, but not a bad idea if you're going to go through re-polishing. You will def need to re-polish to get rid of the spiderwebs
Old 06-10-2009, 03:06 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So do you guys think, at this point, I should RE-DO the polishing?
Yes - sorry, but at least you'll get your pratice. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not so conviced that OPII with a white pad is going to get rid of it - hard to say w/o pics. But try a small section. If you hit it a few times and no dice, you'll need to bump up the pad or go to something like OCII

If yes, I've already applied two coats of polymer... does that change anything?
No, but you will have to put more poly on when you're done.

I would only clay if your paint is not glass smooth. Others would argue, but I think all you care about right now is the swirls. If the paint feels gritty, then clay. o/w just do it the next time you polish.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Racer

Man just read this entire thread and I think this site is freakin awesome how everyone pulls together to help out one another. I could definately understand TSX in Southern Cals freaking out seeing swirls on his new car. I too also own NBP TL and sometimes regret purchasing black because it's a bitch to maintain, I too have swirls and feel I'm really anal with my car and don't understand how the hell I'd have swirls already especially since I've had it less than a year and bought it new!! I've had it detailed 4 times from my detailer I've been dealing with for years and it's 250-300 dollars a whack, although I've only clayed, sealant, and waxed her those 4 times! Not to mention I don't drive her that much because I only live a mile from work and either walk or ride a bike to work, I mean theres only 4000 miles on her in less than a year!! Granted it's only under a car port and I have to California dust her at least once if not twice a day, is this OK?? I mean I know how to use a duster and all but sometimes I just don't know if those things are clearcoat safe, you know?? Things should be on the up and up soon as I will be able to rent a garage soon where I live and hopefully this will cut down on the dusting!?

To Portland RL:

I live in Salem, do you know of any really great detail shops in your area or mine as I would prefer to de-swirl with a shop as to the inexperience I have and I would'nt want to screw my car up, my shop does OK that I use but just curious about other Portland Metro area shops and also curious about price?? Never had it done, had a NBP RDX but didn't own it long enough to notice swirls...owned SSM TSX and that paint looked flawless...always owned lighter colored cars, hope NBP works out for me???????