I Got A Milwaukee Polisher Need Help/Advise/input

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I Got A Milwaukee Polisher Need Help/Advise/input

So heres the story

I use to work at a body shop detailing cars for 2 years while i was in highschool roughly 9 years ago. I used a pneumatic polisher with what appears to be lambswool polisher pad for buffing cars. Im not exactly sure what the name of the pad it was, because i didnt order it i just used it, we use a Teal color squeeze bottle for buffing from 3M. and for Polishing the clear coats we used a Foam bad with a Grey polish from 3M.

Now the current story. So for Valentines my lovely Girlfriend bought me a Milwaukee Polisher 5540 with 2800rpms
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/Product...C%3A+Polishers

Now i have never used a electric polisher so im not familiar with how it compares to a pneumatic one. But i know the Milwaukee one she bought me was top of the line for milwaukee, i think it retailed for $400?.

She also bought me & i picked out the pads Milwaukee 49-36-0650 foam polishing pad http://www.milwaukeetool.com/Product...=Related+Items

and a

Milwaukee 49-36-0600 Finishing high gloss pad.http://www.milwaukeetool.com/Product...=Related+Items

So here is what i would like to accomplish with what i received.

I have 2 cars (you can check my garage) 96' Black Roush mustang, which needs to be brightened up with a nice high gloss the roush doesn't have many scratches or anything, but it needs TLC. My 07 acura tl-s i would like to polish/ high gloss that also. I dont really need to buff out anything yets i guess just most of my projects need need a high gloss.

Hopefully you can tell me what pad to use (if i even got the right ones) and what compound/polish to use.

I hope i described in enough detail to you guys to be able to help me. I will try to answer any questions you have. Thanks in advance for you help
Old 03-08-2010, 06:50 AM
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Damn 37 views with no help
Old 03-09-2010, 05:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The buffer you got is a rotary buffer, which comes with a lot more risk than a random orbital buffer. That being said, 8" pads that you linked to are not recommended at all, especially on soft paint. You have a very high risk of burning thru the paint or leaving behind some severe holograms or marring.

I'd highly recommend investing in a smaller backing plate, preferably, the Meguiar's W66 Solo Buff backing plate if you want to use 6.5" pads or the Lake Country 4" or 5" backing plate depending on the size pad you plan on using. The larger the pad, the faster the edge is spinning and the higher the risk you bring.

Since Acura's have soft paint, you'll want to use a small pad at a low speed with a rotary buffer, especially if you haven't had much experience in a while.

For polishes, I'd recommend either a Menzerna combination of Power Finish and PO85RD for lighter imperfections but more gloss or Meguiar's M105 and M205 for a deeper correction and still a very high level of gloss.

Pad wise, it depends on which combo you go with and how deep the imperfections are, but I'd recommend looking into the Lake Country HydroTech pads for the task at hand.

If you go the M105 / M205 combo, I'd highly recommend reading through this polishing tutorial to achieve maximum results.

Hopefully this points you in the right direction. If you have any questions on anything, please do not hesitate to ask.

George