How to properly clean ebony interior?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008 | 10:17 PM
5th Gear

How to properly clean ebony interior?

I have 2008 TSX with ebony interior and it is such a pain to clean and maintain. I use Lexol leather conditioners and cleaners. The conditioner leaves a streaky residue. I have tried taking a damp microfiber cloth and tried wiping it off to no avail. What do I need to do get a clean, natural look without having to worry about leftover residue? Thanks.
Old 04-30-2008 | 10:52 PM
Pro

I am not a professional detailer, and I could be totally wrong here, but it almost sounds like you're applying too much product. Try to apply much less and rub it in really good. I know that when I first got my TSX, I used Zaino's Z-10, applied WAY too much, and had streaks. Now, I use much less product, and I make sure to really rub it in good, and I only do one section at a time. Try those suggestions, and hopefully that will help

Good luck!

Jeff
Old 04-30-2008 | 11:09 PM
5th Gear

Yeah, maybe I am. Thanks for your input. It's my wife's car and I am really on the fence with the ebony interior, it's just not as classy as parchment. And is a major pain in the arse to clean
Old 05-01-2008 | 11:07 PM
Instructor

I have the ebony in my 2008 TL and I am also wondering if I should have went with the ligher option. I haven't cleaned it yet (had the car for about a month), but plan to do it soon. I was buying some Zaino stuff so I decided to give their leather products a try for when I am ready to clean them.

I don't mind the seats and stuff, but I hate how the black parts near your feet and getting in and out get dirt and coloring on them. I am constantly wiping them with my fingers
Old 05-01-2008 | 11:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Stay away from heavy cleaners and conditioners. Find water based products which need reapplications. The oilyer and/or heavier products i.e. Lexol, tend to build up over time. Frequent damp wiping with a MF and warm water will do wonders down the road. Worry more about cleansing, and maintaining cleansliness, with occasional attention to "conditioning".
A great interior cleaner made by 1Z called Cockpit Premium is great for interiors, and for those seeking just protection and great looks. Leaves a very matte finish......
Old 05-02-2008 | 08:51 AM
Suzuka Master

^^^^ good advice ... keep it clean ...

I have had modern leather for years and the key is keep it clean .. I condition once in the early spring .. mid summer and late fall. And I use a thinner water based product put on an applicator and applied to the seats.

A damp wipe is all thats really needed as most will come off with that .. if you have a spot that damp cleaning won't deal with then move up to the Woolite mix.

A couple other thinner treatment options are Meguiars #40 and 303 as you are dealing with the coating on the leather .. not the leather.

Here is some good reading on leather.

Todays leather
Old 05-02-2008 | 09:40 AM
Trucki!!

I water down my lexol cleaner because I found it makes it streak less. I then follow with a product called Granitize vpc that gives the leather the perfect look IMO
Old 05-02-2008 | 02:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Stay away from heavy cleaners and conditioners. Find water based products which need reapplications. The oilyer and/or heavier products i.e. Lexol, tend to build up over time. Frequent damp wiping with a MF and warm water will do wonders down the road. Worry more about cleansing, and maintaining cleansliness, with occasional attention to "conditioning".
A great interior cleaner made by 1Z called Cockpit Premium is great for interiors, and for those seeking just protection and great looks. Leaves a very matte finish......
That product says it's for imitation leather seats. Are our seats imitation leather?
It also says it's good for clear plastic surfaces such as the Navi. Do you recommend it for cleaning the Navi as well? I need something to take care of the finger prints.

Thanks
Old 05-02-2008 | 02:56 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by exceldetail

Wow, thanks for the great advice I have always wondered though, with repetitive wiping with MF cloths, would this take off some of the conditioning? I take very good care of all my cars and I am very meticulous when it comes to the interior, but this is my first time with dark leather and it takes extra scrutiny to keep it really clean. Again, thanks all for the input and advice.
Old 05-02-2008 | 03:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
That product says it's for imitation leather seats. Are our seats imitation leather?

Read the link at the bottom of my post above.