How much Z2 / Z5??

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2002, 05:44 PM
My Home Planet

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How much Z2 / Z5??

I just started using Zaino and love the polish. I just wanted to check to see how much of Z2 / Z5 everyone uses for each coat for a 1st Gen CL. I've been using about 1 oz. per coat. Is that too much? Too Little? I use it with the ZFX. Does that make any difference?

I've applied only two coats so far. When applying, is it better to make straight back and forth motions or circular motions with the applicator? I've been using back and forth motions since it seems like it would reduce swirl marks.

Is is better to dribble the polish on the car first or put it directly on the applicator?

Also, is it safe to put Z2/Z5 on the wheels to help resist brake dust and grime. Someone told me it doen't matter but I just wanted to be sure.

I really appreciate any help. You guys are really insightful. Thanks
Old 08-06-2002, 10:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1) That sounds like a good amount, thinner is always better.

2) Straight Back and forth. Read the Zaino application tips.

3) I prefer and think directly on the applicator, unless i'm doing the hood or roof with a buffer.

4) It's fine.
Old 08-07-2002, 12:39 PM
ira
Advanced

I'm guessing that I would be getting about 5 coats out of an ounce on a CL. I can get 4 coats out of an ounce on my 2000 Camaro. One ounce per coat is getting close to the point where it will have problems drying. You'll make Sal and your local distributor happy using that much, but I'd try to get 3 coats out of an ounce and then you'll be making you much happier.

Ira
Los Angeles Zaino Distributor
Old 08-07-2002, 01:04 PM
My Home Planet

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
By applying it that thin, how can you tell if you've covered every spot. It there a trick? Any tips?

I can barely tell I've coating every spot on the car using 1 oz. per coat. A lot of the polish gets absorbed in the applicator and its difficult to tell if the last spot I just went over has the same amount of polish as the first spot I apply it to. I have noticed it is a little greasy after I wipe it off, not too much but a little. I let it dry for about an hour (w/ZFX).

Also, do you need mix in ZFX to every coat or just the first coat?
Old 08-07-2002, 03:06 PM
ira
Advanced

Learning to trust that you've applied the polish everywhere is something that comes with experience. I've been using Zaino for close to 3 years and it was only when ZFX arrived that I really started to understand how thin Zaino can be applied. While I try to never miss a spot I guess it's possible. I just figure that the next thin coat will get whatever I might have missed. You need to use ZFX with the first coat of polish, on any day you intend to put on multiple coats of polish and at least every 6 months or every tenth coat. In the summer in Los Angeles I find that a coat of polish with ZFX dries in 10 to 15 minutes, without takes 15 to 30 minutes.

I think the secret to thin coats is using a damp applicator, putting very small amounts of polish on the applicator and then spreading it over as large an area as possible. I start with three thin stribes or an "N" of polish. After that I use 2 thin stripes or a "V".

Ira
Old 08-08-2002, 06:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Use a foam applicator, it won't absorb as much Zaino as say a cotton or terry applicator.