How much Dawn Detergent to use?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 02:14 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How much Dawn Detergent to use?

Hey Guys, how much Dawn dish washing soup am I suppose to use per gallon of water?
Old 03-08-2005, 02:22 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Dish washing soup...
Old 03-08-2005, 02:51 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

I use about a quarter a bottle per bucket of water.

(honestly)
Old 03-08-2005, 02:59 PM
Yeehaw

what are you washing?
Old 03-08-2005, 03:27 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Originally Posted by BEETROOT
what are you washing?

I assumed his car.

I hope he didn't come on here to ask about some damn dishes.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:31 PM
Yeehaw

Originally Posted by Red-CL
I assumed his car.
you know what happens when you assume...
Old 03-08-2005, 04:01 PM
Systems Overlord

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by triton
Hey Guys, how much Dawn dish washing soup am I suppose to use per gallon of water?

Don't use any. Leave the Dawn for your dishes. Get some car wash for your car. Read the many many posts on the subject in this forum regarding the use of dishwashing soap on your car.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:17 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Originally Posted by Prolanman
Don't use any. Leave the Dawn for your dishes. Get some car wash for your car. Read the many many posts on the subject in this forum regarding the use of dishwashing soap on your car.

It's not for constant use.

It's great for stripping wax
Old 03-08-2005, 04:53 PM
Homeless

Use warm water & you'll only need a small amount.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:54 PM
Instructor

Hey guys to clarify, it's for me car...

And I want to strip any residual wax on my car before I clay it and put synthetic wax on. It's almost 3 months since the dealer put wax on when I bought it.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Hey guys to clarify, it's for me car...

And I want to strip any residual wax on my car before I clay it and put synthetic wax on. It's almost 3 months since the dealer put wax on when I bought it.
If your going to clay on 3 mos old wax, you don't need to use dawn. Also, try using a light polish before you put on the wax, the wax will bond better and last longer.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:17 PM
Instructor

Purchased car on Dec 23, hasn't been waxed since. Planning on using Dawn to strip old wax, Clay, Klasse AIO, Four Star paint protection.

Moodist, you think I don't need to use dawn? I have 1z car wash shampoo, but thought there might still be some wax on the car.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
We need to put "Dawn, Its for dishes", in neon lights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-08-2005, 10:43 PM
Disturbin' The Peace!

First rule of thumb, NEVER USE DISHWASHING SOAP TO WASH YOUR CAR! It has chemicals in it that actually eat away and deteriorate your clearcoat and eventually your paint! Thats why they have specific automotive car wash for that. I have been in the detailing business for years and its the most common mistake I hear people doing. My reccommendation is you go and get yourself some Meguiar's Gold car wash products. Trust me, you won't be displeased!
Old 03-08-2005, 11:05 PM
Instructor

After further review i'm going to avoid the Dawn, mainly cause I'm pretty sure my wax is gone anyway. I'll be using the 1Z perl shampoo I bought. Thanks for all the input guys.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:29 AM
Comptech Freak

i used Mr. Clean to wash my aunt's Caddy b4, hell it's so powerful~

the brake dust all gone in a min~
Old 03-09-2005, 07:19 AM
Burning Brakes

After further review i'm going to avoid the Dawn, mainly cause I'm pretty sure my wax is gone anyway. I'll be using the 1Z perl shampoo I bought. Thanks for all the input guys.

Good call, between the clay and AIO you should have no left wax, just a good base to wax on.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:56 PM
Instructor

doesn't the clay bar itself strips the old wax??
Old 03-15-2005, 08:26 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Purchased car on Dec 23, hasn't been waxed since. Planning on using Dawn to strip old wax, Clay, Klasse AIO, Four Star paint protection.

Moodist, you think I don't need to use dawn? I have 1z car wash shampoo, but thought there might still be some wax on the car.

If your going to do it... Do it RIGHT. Half assing the job gets half ass results. Don't use Dawn to get off old wax. Do you think it definately gets off 100% of the old wax with one wash? Come on now... Use something like Blackfire Glass Enhancing Polish to remove old wax, after clay bar and then Wax with the new wax of your choice. Why cut corners on your $35k car?

Basically, for those who don't care, slap on the Wax as you Dry stuff, and for those that do, at least do it right, or you'll end up spending more time later fixing it.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by exceldetail
We need to put "Dawn, Its for dishes", in neon lights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, but the sign must have that buzz sound and flash constantly.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:00 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by exceldetail

big
Old 03-16-2005, 01:01 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Originally Posted by DarkWraith33
If your going to do it... Do it RIGHT. Half assing the job gets half ass results. Don't use Dawn to get off old wax. Do you think it definately gets off 100% of the old wax with one wash? Come on now... Use something like Blackfire Glass Enhancing Polish to remove old wax, after clay bar and then Wax with the new wax of your choice. Why cut corners on your $35k car?

Basically, for those who don't care, slap on the Wax as you Dry stuff, and for those that do, at least do it right, or you'll end up spending more time later fixing it.

or use a dedicated paint cleaner like Griots offers.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CLpower
big
Do it big guy!!
Old 03-16-2005, 01:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Umm....Zaino says to use Dawn to strip off any old wax before you use there stuff for the first time. I agree you shouldn't use it on a regular basis though.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:29 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
Umm....Zaino says to use Dawn to strip off any old wax before you use there stuff for the first time. I agree you shouldn't use it on a regular basis though.
That boggles my mind... I'm a blackfire guy, but I'm gonna have to go against the Big Z.... NO DAWN on my car... I really surprised they say to do that!!?!??!?!
Old 03-17-2005, 08:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
That boggles my mind... I'm a blackfire guy, but I'm gonna have to go against the Big Z.... NO DAWN on my car... I really surprised they say to do that!!?!??!?!
IT'S A ONE TIME DEAL. Oh the drama on this board.

In order to provide an extremely clean base for a polymer to bond, it has to be free of any grease, oil..... Hmmm what takes grease out of you way? (hey nice jingle)

It's a one-time deal to prep the paint surface. See the problem with other companies is they don't bother to give you any thoughts on prep work. They just ASSUME the paint is squeaky clean. And you wonder why Zaino provides such long-lasting protection?
Old 03-17-2005, 08:28 AM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
IT'S A ONE TIME DEAL. Oh the drama on this board.

In order to provide an extremely clean base for a polymer to bond, it has to be free of any grease, oil..... Hmmm what takes grease out of you way? (hey nice jingle)

It's a one-time deal to prep the paint surface. See the problem with other companies is they don't bother to give you any thoughts on prep work. They just ASSUME the paint is squeaky clean. And you wonder why Zaino provides such long-lasting protection?
Amen bruva.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:06 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Oh you're right... All the other normal, safe for car finish car washes leave all that grease and oil behind... Dawn is the only substance on Earth that gets that off... My bad.

I wonder if, after running over some road kill, Zaino recomends some Purell Hand Sanitizer before the Dawn to remove 99.99% of germs from that roadkill....

As I don't use Zaino, I am assuming that they have a product that removes old wax (as a preperatory step to the polish) and they are not relying on the Dawn alone... As a means to that end, if they do indeed have a product, wtf does Dawn get you that a normal wash doesn't? NUTTIN... Like I said, a company that prides itself on car produts recomending Dawn is strange... That's all....

Oh, and drama class is last door on the left... This is COMEDY...
Old 03-17-2005, 11:13 AM
Homeless

Oh you're right... All the other normal, safe for car finish car washes leave all that grease and oil behind... Dawn is the only substance on Earth that gets that off... My bad.
'Safe for finish' products won't remove all the crap that gets on your car. And no one here said use Dawn(or any other Detergent) regularly.

Anyone that's ever tried those 'safe for all finishes' cleaners knows that they don't get grease/oil off your car for shit anyhow. And no, I don't use Zaino.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:52 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Originally Posted by chef chris
Anyone that's ever tried those 'safe for all finishes' cleaners knows that they don't get grease/oil off your car for shit anyhow. And no, I don't use Zaino.
That's interesting... Barring the occasional road tar and other large nasty's, good car soap like Megs or the NXT stuff I use now, gets MY car nice and clean... Some would even say SHINY. Shoot... Why do we even wash our cars?

Using your logic, since "normal soap" doesn't get off the nastiness... Before you wax EVERY TIME, you clean your car with Dawn and reprep for waxing? Otherwise you're just waxing in and over all that grease and oil?! Now that can't be good eh?

Jeez...
Old 03-17-2005, 12:03 PM
Homeless

No, like I said earlier, I don't use it ever time. That's why I said:
And no one here said use Dawn(or any other Detergent) regularly.
With products like Zaino, Liquid Glas, etc...you don't need to continually re-apply the product like wax and oil/grease/tar don't stick to finishes coated properly with a paint sealant.

Use what you want, it's your car...But there's nothing wrong with using Dawn twice a year to clean your car.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by chef chris
No, like I said earlier, I don't use it ever time. That's why I said:

With products like Zaino, Liquid Glas, etc...you don't need to continually re-apply the product like wax and oil/grease/tar don't stick to finishes coated properly with a paint sealant.

Use what you want, it's your car...But there's nothing wrong with using Dawn twice a year to clean your car.
Thanks Chris and red-cl. Another voice of reason.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:47 PM
Homeless

I put 2 coats of LG on over 18 months ago...haven't reapplied it since. Salt, dirt, grime...all washes right off with the hose at the $5 Quickie-Wash.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:26 PM
Team Nighthawk MechE

I'll gracefully back out of LoveFest '05... Far be it from me to cause you guys shoulder strain in patting each others backs... I'll stick to my native forum where people aren't quite as touchy when someone respectfully disagrees... (notice noone ever mentioned what/if there was a zaino product to remove old wax - you know, BASICALLY THE ORIGINAL QUESTION)

The fact you haven't LG'ed your car in 18 months let me know everything I needed to know... (And yes, I'm quite familiar with LG)...

Thanks for coming, I'll be here all week, please be kind to your waitress...
Old 03-17-2005, 04:16 PM
Homeless

And no, I don't use Zaino.
Since I don't drive my car, why should I have applied several needless coats? Car has only 12K miles in 3 years and sits in my garage. You assume too much.

If your feelings get bruised so easy, maybe you should try to use a less sarcastic tone yourself or learning what "respectfully disagree" actually means.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:30 AM
teh Senior Instigator

While yes, dawn can work to strip wax, there are many other products out there that will do it as well. Dawn is something I will never use again. I've used it in the past. I'd rather move forward and use a good polish, or ifit comes to it use an alcohol solution, etc.

Use what you want, if you've had good results don't let someone make you do different. Many people use dawn washes and love it. Many people also won't touch the stuff.

NSX, seems like you are the one that causes most of the drama Stop getting so butt hurt when someone possibly doesn't agree w/ your boyfriend Sal How are you, red, chef anymore a voice of reason then the rest of us?
Old 03-18-2005, 08:50 AM
teh Senior Instigator

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread...light=dawn+bad

good thread on the discussion
Old 03-18-2005, 09:09 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

While yes, dawn can work to strip wax, there are many other products out there that will do it as well. Dawn is something I will never use again. I've used it in the past. I'd rather move forward and use a good polish, or ifit comes to it use an alcohol solution, etc.

Use what you want, if you've had good results don't let someone make you do different. Many people use dawn washes and love it. Many people also won't touch the stuff.

NSX, seems like you are the one that causes most of the drama Stop getting so butt hurt when someone possibly doesn't agree w/ your boyfriend Sal How are you, red, chef anymore a voice of reason then the rest of us?

To quote someone famous.... "Amen bruva. "
Old 03-18-2005, 09:11 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Thanks for the additional, enlightening info... Some good reading in there. Let's hope that DAWN USE doesn't become the new WHAT OIL SHOULD I USE?
Old 03-18-2005, 01:37 PM
Just dial 1911

I've used the alcohol method that you suggested in the past and it works perfectly.