How do you clean leather?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 12:42 AM
spn
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you clean leather?

I just bought a used '01 Accord coupe with tan leather and I was wondering how I could clean off that dirty look that tan leather gets. What products do you guys recommend and any methods or advice? I've heard about steam cleaning but I have no idea where I could get a steam cleaner. I've also seen some products but I'm afraid to use them since I have no experience cleaning leather.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:17 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To get you started, take a look at Autopia's Car Interior Detailing tutorial.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:28 PM
spn
Cruisin'

So how much leather does a bottle of Sonus usually treat? Also are there any other good brands cleaners/conditioners that I can get locally(I live in San Diego)?
Old 08-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Instructor

Lexol is sold at many auto parts stores.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:41 PM
spn
Cruisin'

Have any you guys heard of using steam to clean leather?
Old 08-04-2007, 10:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by spn
Have any you guys heard of using steam to clean leather?
I wouldn't try steaming it 'coz you might dry the oils out of the leather and it will start to crack. The best (and cheapest) was I found is the tried and true Woolite (Or Zero) and Water. I mixed 1 part Woolite and 6 parts water on a spray bottle. Spray the surface and let it sit for a few seconds then scrub with a MF towel. I was hesitant to do this at first but I was amazed that the leather was restored to a like new look with a matte finish. Try this on the worn parts of the leather seat and steering wheel. I used a yellow MF cloth and it was close to being olive green by the time I was done 'coz of the dirt.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:00 AM
spn
Cruisin'

Just curious, which kind of Woolite did you use? Also did you condition the leather afterwards.

I think I'm going to try out Duragloss's LS and LC since its sold at Napa autoparts nearby.

Can anybody tell me how much 8oz. treats? If it can treat the whole interior once that'd be ok, if not I might just be willing to try the Woolite idea.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:04 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
I really enjoy Lexol products for cleaning the leather and vinyl surfaces within the car.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:23 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Vicman17
I wouldn't try steaming it 'coz you might dry the oils out of the leather and it will start to crack. The best (and cheapest) was I found is the tried and true Woolite (Or Zero) and Water. I mixed 1 part Woolite and 6 parts water on a spray bottle. Spray the surface and let it sit for a few seconds then scrub with a MF towel. I was hesitant to do this at first but I was amazed that the leather was restored to a like new look with a matte finish. Try this on the worn parts of the leather seat and steering wheel. I used a yellow MF cloth and it was close to being olive green by the time I was done 'coz of the dirt.
Steam cleaning- a steamer has a multitude of functional usages for leather interiors; doors, leather and vinyl upholstery and trim, all clean exceptionally well with steam, it will loosen up the deep ground in soil that normal cleaning cannot reach and emulsify most types of dirt and grime that gets into what are inaccessible places for other methods of cleaning i.e. cup holders, seams and grooves, between cushion and bolsters, liquid spills, etc. Use a d-limonene based (citrus) solvent P21S Total Auto Wash, in a ratio of 10:1 or stronger with distilled water as a pre-cleaning solution, as an alternative use Prepping Agent followed by steam cleaning.

The steamer will also ease out wrinkles and the heat generated will open the pores of leather just before the application of a conditioner; the conditioners in the Rejuvenator Oil force proteins back into the leather, which helps release soils (dirt and / or grease) then apply Prestine Clean to release any deep down soils, which will condition the leather and re-soften it - http://www.leatherique.com
Old 08-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spn
Just curious, which kind of Woolite did you use? Also did you condition the leather afterwards.

I think I'm going to try out Duragloss's LS and LC since its sold at Napa autoparts nearby.

Can anybody tell me how much 8oz. treats? If it can treat the whole interior once that'd be ok, if not I might just be willing to try the Woolite idea.
The small container of cleaner soap and conditioner are plenty, even for a SUV. Im leary of using a seam cleaner as well, I just feel thats too hot. I mean if it could hurt me on accident, im a little concerned! But Jon could be right on also! (He usually is, lol)
Old 08-09-2007, 04:34 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
To get you started, take a look at Autopia's Car Interior Detailing tutorial.
And one of the first pictures is of some numbskull spraying cleaner directly onto a touchscreen. Yikes!! I tell newbies, never, EVER, spray cleaner or conditioner right onto a surface. Get a good cloth moistened and apply with the cloth. A lot of great information in that tutorial, but that pic just made me LOL.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:33 AM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
Carquest - Duragloss
Most car venders - Lexol.

Those are the best OTC i'd say. Then most you will have to online order.

PS - anyone try Mother's leather stuff?
Old 08-10-2007, 02:32 PM
spn
Cruisin'

I ended up getting lexol because carquest only had duragloss conditioner but no cleaner. I just cleaned it yesterday and it looks real good. No gloss and feels fresh and soft. I was amazed at how dirty it was. I went through 3 buckets of dark brown dirty water. And I didn't have to use that much to clean and condition, it should last me a while.

Thanks for the suggestions
Old 08-10-2007, 04:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by davidspalding
And one of the first pictures is of some numbskull spraying cleaner directly onto a touchscreen. Yikes!! I tell newbies, never, EVER, spray cleaner or conditioner right onto a surface. Get a good cloth moistened and apply with the cloth. A lot of great information in that tutorial, but that pic just made me LOL.
I've never payed any attention to the pictures, but you're absolutely right. Good catch . . .
Old 08-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Steam cleaning-
The steamer will also ease out wrinkles and the heat generated will open the pores of leather just before the application of a conditioner;
This great info. Thanks for the expert advice.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought lexol leather cleaner and conditioner and when i used the conditioner for the seats a good chunk of either dirt or the leather color was left on the dry cloth. Is this noraml? because i don't think it was dirt, i cleaned it up very well with the lexol cleaner.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:57 PM
Instructor

I always used the Maguires combination cleaner protectant on my old Maxima. With the small holes in the TL seats I worry that some cleaners might leave a white residue in the holes. Are there some products that are better at leaving no trace better than others?
Old 09-19-2007, 05:55 PM
#GOBULLS

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Anyone know how often the leather should be conditioned? I have done it 3 times this year so far. But I dont know if thats enough. Also, on a sunny day when you park your car outside do you guys close the sunroof shade?
Old 09-19-2007, 05:58 PM
FTW

I do it whenever it's warm, because then the leather pores are open.

In addition, I try to condition whenever the leather doesnt feel slick. Less friction = the better.

This is about ever month or so.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:30 PM
#GOBULLS

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by lusid
I do it whenever it's warm, because then the leather pores are open.

In addition, I try to condition whenever the leather doesnt feel slick. Less friction = the better.

This is about ever month or so.
Wow thats more often than I thought. I should probably do it this weekend.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:04 AM
Cruisin'

what about those Armor All leather wipes???
(puts on flame retardant suit)
Old 09-20-2007, 11:32 AM
FTW

IIRC - Armor All has alcohol in it? right? which may seem to help the leather at first application, but it really dries it. I stay away from Armor Less.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:10 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
When I first bought my 89 legend coupe, I ordered leather products from http://www.liquidleather.com/liquidl.htm,
it's in the UK and not too cheap. Works really well, but the big difference between this stuff and other leather conditioners is that this stuff stinks like new leather. No soapy, or chemical smells. And I mean stinks like new leather, the smell last for a couple weeks. The product does work well, I used it the first time on my RL, but I'm getting low so I replaced it with a easier product to find. I picked up some lexol and vinylex, doesn't have any leather smell at all, but the smell is not bad anyways. The guy at a local detailing shop reccomended it, checked it out at
http://www.lexol.com/newauto.html
They lead you step by step through the procedure if your unsure. I have a big bottle of lexol but I think I'm going to order the liquid leather conditioner again to use every once and a while.
But I would definetley use the vinylex instead of armour all, and don't forget to wipe all your door seals. On the bottom of the doors on my 02 RL there are three rubber seals (reduce road noise I'm guess'n), keeping these in nice and soft condition should keep the interior noise down through it's life.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:48 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by RyanCHICL
Anyone know how often the leather should be conditioned? I have done it 3 times this year so far. But I dont know if thats enough. Also, on a sunny day when you park your car outside do you guys close the sunroof shade?
It gets pretty dang hot here (like 100° today), and I get hot (and perspire) ... I make a point of cleaning afterwards. Just as I clean/wash my car regularly if only to get off the dust, pollen, bugs, etc. I clean the windows before it rains because it helps the wipers work better, and keeps them cleaner. (Yes, I'm finicky. Call me Felix Unger and shut the **** up. )

I close the moon roof shade ... no need to expose the interior to more UV than needed.

I didn't know that the Armor All stuff had alcohol ... running out with the Meguiar's wipes right now...!

Last edited by davidspalding; 09-23-2007 at 09:50 PM.