How do I clean "belt marks" from my seat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
How do I clean "belt marks" from my seat?

How do I clean my leather seat of "belt marks" that have rubbed off onto the seat? I wore a new brown suede belt all week during a road trip, and now there's a visible stripe on my light gray leather seat. I tried Black Magic leather cleaner with a microfiber cloth, but that didn't do the job.

Are there any other leather cleaners that might do the trick?

Thanks,
Rob144
Old 03-17-2007, 07:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Your leather has a very light UV protective layer on it, so its not ike its "raw" leather. If you have some all purpose cleaner, you can use about a 10:1 ratio of it. Just dampen a MF with it and wipe away. Recondition with some leather protectant afterwards though to replenish.....
Old 03-18-2007, 08:44 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I would also add a note to clean the seat belt itself otherwise any dirt wil tranfer from the belt to the seat and / or to your clothes.

Seat Belts:
Clean seat belts with a 10:1 Woolite™/distilled water solution, for spot stains use a fabric cleaner (303 Cleaner & Spot Remover ™) Pull the belts from the retractor and gently close the door on the belt, clean and allow to air dry before opening the door and retracting the belt. Do not use bleach or strong detergents, or dye on the seat belts as this may severely weaken them and render them ineffective in a crash.

While you are cleaning the belts, take the opportunity to closely inspect them for damage and security of attachment, ensure here are no cuts, tears or abrasions (you should always inspect for damage etc if they get caught by a closing door)

Note: The Woolite solution can also be used to clean leather surfaces
Old 03-19-2007, 05:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Someone mentioned something called a glycerine stick (by Thomson) to help get rid of transferred dyes in the leather. In my case, the belt is my pants belt rather than the seat belt.

Has anyone heard of such an item?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 03-20-2007, 03:37 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Excuse me for not paying attention (Cars-belts=seat belts) not quite...

Dye Transfer
Dye transfer is one of the toughest and rarely removable stains, try using a leather cleaner (Leatherique's Prestine Clean or Zaino Z-9 Leather Cleaner) if that does not remove the dye try 303TM Cleaner & Spot Remover or Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) sparingly to remove it.

Alternative product- Leather Stain / Ink Removers - http://www.topoftheline.com/stspre.html Use caution this is a strong product, check an inconspicuous area first