How to cover up door dings.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2001, 06:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to cover up door dings.

Is there anyone out there that has some kind of advice as how to remove door dings. Im not talking about the actual dent but the scracth that is left when someone dings your door. My car has a couple and was wondering if there is somekind of polish or something to that nature that can take car of this problem. Also can anyone recommend a good type of polish that will restore the shine to the car. My paint is getting somewhat dull and it's getting on my nerves. The car is black and so it attracts more sunlight, that is why the paint is so dull looking. Can anyone help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-12-2001, 02:37 PM
It's Go-Time.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should wait until you have a whole bunch of scratches & dings and get them all fixed at the same time. You'll just have to pay your insurnace deductible & take it to a autobody shop. If the scratches aren't that bad, detailers can usually buff them out.
Old 08-13-2001, 10:50 AM
Racer

Originally posted by Repo1234:
<STRONG>Is there anyone out there that has some kind of advice as how to remove door dings. Im not talking about the actual dent but the scracth that is left when someone dings your door. My car has a couple and was wondering if there is somekind of polish or something to that nature that can take car of this problem. Also can anyone recommend a good type of polish that will restore the shine to the car. My paint is getting somewhat dull and it's getting on my nerves. The car is black and so it attracts more sunlight, that is why the paint is so dull looking. Can anyone help!!!!!!!!!!!! </STRONG>
For the dents, go to Dent Wizard. They did a great job on my car. I got 2 dings taken out for $50. You can't tell at all that there was ever a ding there.
Old 08-15-2001, 12:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
There is a rubbing compound from the dealership that I used on my car that totally took away some mild scrathes...I dont know what it was called though....sorry.

Last edited by synth19; 11-09-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-15-2001, 03:45 PM
8th Gear

If you only have scratches and they aren't to deep. I.E.you can't feel them by rubbing your fingernail across them then try this.
Use a paint cleaner made for clearcoats, many manuf. make these I like meguiar's products. If you have a obital polisher use it, if not a 100 percent cotton towel. Put a little on the towel and rub softly. If a couple of tries doesn't do it, get a slightly more aggresive polish like meguiar's Fine Cut Polish, but be careful to use an even pressure. You will have to rewax to restore the shine. For between $85-125 you could have a detailer do the whole outside and the scatches would be gone and your paint restored.
Old 08-15-2001, 07:18 PM
Cruisin'

Truthfully, it depends on the depth of the scratch on your car. If it is only going through the clearcoat, some polishes can take those out.

If the scratch is a little deeper, there are several avenues you can take.

a) You can use a rubbing compound to try and get it out.

b) You can touch it up with paint (Just make sure you use a smaller brush and the paint gets a little higher than the scratch), then use 1500-2000 grit sandpaper to sand the touched up area down and polish. This is the exact means I am using to take rock chips out of my Maxima.

c) Have a professional do it. That should really be the last resort.

If you want some advice on this topic, check out www.autopia-carcare.com