How can I prevent swirls in my carbon bronze TL?

Old 06-10-2009, 10:48 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can I prevent swirls in my carbon bronze TL?

Hi, I am new to this site and have a question. I am sure you are all car enthusiasts and this is why I am hoping you can help me out. I own a 2008 carbon bronze TL and...I'm even embarassed to say this but...I haven't had it waxed yet. That's usually not like me. Most of my past cars have been white so I never cared much if or how I had it waxed b/c swirls are not as noticeable as they are in darker colored cars. I am dying to get my TL waxed and am unsure how or what could be done to reduce swirls from being made. I usually get my cars done by hand wax at the local car wash. I have never had the TL put through the car wash as my husband usually hand washes it. So, right now, swirls are REALLY minimal. Can you guys give me some advice on what to use or how to go about having my car waxed so I don't cause any swirls to occur? I know on my white car, b/c there is no clearcoat, I use Collinite which is a wonderful wax for white cars if no clearcoat but I am sure that this would not be good for carbon bronze as it's a thick wax and hard to get off. Any information you can provide me with would be great. Thanks for all your help!
Old 06-10-2009, 11:50 AM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately waxing your car will not prevent swirls. It is improper maintenance that causes swirls in your paint. The biggest culprit is improper washing whether it is from a hand wash or a local machine wash. The question is how much work are you willing to do on a consistent basis to maintain the paint? I admit that I am at the very extreme when it comes to maintaining my cars. I think we can come up simple program so that you can maximize the longevity of your paint finish.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
i just think our clear coats are soo soft if you breathe on them wrong they get swirled up....

i am soo extreme about washing and drying my kbp and after about 4 months it needs to be deswirled again...oh well, thats why i bought the udm and all the goods to go with it....
Old 06-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,408 Likes on 3,020 Posts
Never take your car to a car wash, let your husband was them, but make sure he dries the car with microfiber or waffle weave towels that reduce the posibility of swirls, also keeping it waxed will help protect the paint surface from contaminants
Old 06-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,914 Likes on 14,457 Posts
I'm in the same boat...I want to deswirl my car...but I'm not really sure I'm willing to commit to the level of detail it takes to prevent future swirls!
Old 06-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum Carbonbronzegirl!

The question is how much work are you willing to do on a consistent basis to maintain the paint?
Once we know this answer, we can better define a program for you. Some items off the top of my head: And thats just for washing. The Essentials kits are big sellers at the site, they are something to consider, and include nearly all of the above, and then some! They were designed for new car owners!

I admit that I am at the very extreme when it comes to maintaining my cars.
I dont think you will find any of us arguing Stephen.......

i just think our clear coats are soo soft if you breathe on them wrong they get swirled up....
Aint that the truth! I feel for you guys!!

As for swirls, they happen........Its easier if you understand that, and learn the concept of dealing with them. Unless of course your as fortunate as a few in here, to use other means of transporation to conduct life. There Acks' are babysat meticulously in the garage for extended periods of time and only brought out for general public showings a couple times a month. Must be nice guys!
Old 06-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
I'm in the same boat...I want to deswirl my car...but I'm not really sure I'm willing to commit to the level of detail it takes to prevent future swirls!
Just a nickel's worth of free advice: It's MUCH easier to take light swirls out and to keep them out than it is to buff out years of abuse from improper washing. Avoiding machine washes and by doing it yourself and using sheepskin or microfiber wash mitt and an MF Waffle Weave drying towel will help astonishingly in preventing swirls. This is just what I've noticed.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by PortlandRL
Just a nickel's worth of free advice: It's MUCH easier to take light swirls out and to keep them out than it is to buff out years of abuse from improper washing. Avoiding machine washes and by doing it yourself and using sheepskin or microfiber wash mitt and an MF Waffle Weave drying towel will help astonishingly in preventing swirls. This is just what I've noticed.

And its true
Old 06-11-2009, 09:25 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,408 Likes on 3,020 Posts
Originally Posted by exceldetail
Unless of course your as fortunate as a few in here, to use other means of transporation to conduct life. There Acks' are babysat meticulously in the garage for extended periods of time and only brought out for general public showings a couple times a month. Must be nice guys!