Help with paint touch up process!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 09:33 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with paint touch up process!

So there were some minor paints chips here and there with my 07 TL-S WDP colored

i used the dealers paint touchup to touch up the places, but i do not know what to do from there. there are not very smooth and kind of dull in color, what should i do?

if this info is of use the paint touchups are no bigger than pinky fingernail
Old 11-14-2009, 10:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by t3hanarchist
So there were some minor paints chips here and there with my 07 TL-S WDP colored

i used the dealers paint touchup to touch up the places, but i do not know what to do from there. there are not very smooth and kind of dull in color, what should i do?

if this info is of use the paint touchups are no bigger than pinky fingernail
Here's the gist of a proper touch up.

Thoroughly clean and prep the chip / scratch prior to applying any paint.

Apply thin coats of paint covering the entire chip / scratch and go slightly larger than the chip. You want to create a blob bigger than the rest of the paint when you are done, but do so by applying multiple thin coats, not gobbing on 1 thick coat.

Once the paint has cured and you have a blob of paint covering the chip / scratch, you want to sand the touch up paint down to an even level of the rest of the paint.

I typically start with around 1500 grade sand paper and work my way up to 2000 grade than 2500 grade. The higher the grade you finish with, the easier it is to remove the sanding marks. Here's a link to some high grade sand paper if needed.

After you've sanded down the scratch you'll need to remove the sanding marks. Ideally, you'll want to do so by using a quality buffer, however you can do it by hand. Consider Meguiar's M105 for quick removal of sanding marks. It can be applied by hand or with a buffer, simply work it in using some elbow grease and back off on the pressure as you finish down.

Once the paint is back to it's clear and glossy finish, be sure to reprotect your paint with your choice of sealant or wax.

Hope this helps.