Help me fix my new, tree-gunked outdoor car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009 | 09:35 AM
Advanced

Help me fix my new, tree-gunked outdoor car?

So I picked up my brand new TSX about a month ago, and foolishly assumed the dealer had waxed it well, such that it wouldn't need any work for at least a couple of months. Wrong!

Here's my biggest problem: I live in an apartment, with no driveway or outside hose (can't regularly wash it myself), and the car lives outside 24/7 under a giant honking tree. That drops yellow pollen stuff on it. Which mixes with water spots (it's been raining 5-6 days a week in New England), and gets sticky.

Also, I am a very new newbie car person, so I don't want to do any risky processes that might permanently screw up my beautiful new (vortex blue) paint. Nor do I have any machines, like buffers etc.

What can I do (that is TOTALLY idiot-proof) to get some of the worst tree gunk/water spots off the car and keep them from sticking again? Would a wash/clay/wax be enough, or would I need some sort of paint cleaner? I am really, really nervous about scratching the paint by applying a polish or other abrasive incorrectly.

Also, which is worse - letting the car sit, gunky, for weeks at a time, or running it through a ("touch free") commercial car wash?

Let me know if pics would help, to show the extent of the (now fairly minimal) damage!

I don't care if the car looks less-than-ideal now, as long as it's not sustaining permanent damage that a good detail won't be able to fix 1 or 2 years from now (when I will move somewhere with a garage, and find a pro detailer like you guys!).
Old 07-26-2009 | 11:27 AM
Instructor

Cleaners that dont touch the car aren't that bad for quick cleans. Also Optimum NR + claying + sealant probably would be good. I imagine in your case sealant > waxing since you want longevity over sexy wet shine.
Old 07-26-2009 | 12:19 PM
Former Sponsor

With no available means of traditional wash methods, sounds like your only option at this point is to take it to the quarter drop and hi pressure the crud off (From a safe distance). I would consider getting NRWS, bucket, washmit(s), drying towels, polishing towels, quick detailer, and maybe a spray wax (for maintenance) and a base sealants like 105 or UPP.
After you remove the heavy debris, you can always bring it home and NRWS, with minimal water spillage, you could wash it......anywhere.
Old 07-26-2009 | 12:28 PM
Former Sponsor

With no available means of traditional wash methods, sounds like your only option at this point is to take it to the quarter drop and hi pressure the crud off (From a safe distance). I would consider getting NRWS, bucket, washmit(s), drying towels, polishing towels, quick detailer, and maybe a spray wax (for maintenance) and a base sealants like 105 or UPP.
After you remove the heavy debris, you can always bring it home and NRWS, with minimal water spillage, you could wash it......anywhere.
Old 07-27-2009 | 12:14 PM
Advanced

Thanks so much, guys! I ordered some stuff today and will put them to work ASAP. That NRWS looks like magic - I'm hoping it will be a good clay lubricant, too. My car and I both thank you