AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Wash & Wax (https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/)
-   -   Help with detailing... (https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/help-detailing-64506/)

Ultimac 03-20-2002 10:32 AM

Help with detailing...

Ok fellas, I have a problem I haven't used any detailing products on my car since I bought it. Also it has swirl marks from washing and a few light scratches. My question is, will a professional buffing and waxing get these scratches and swirls out. Also have bug splats that have dried into paint(lovebugs and 143mph don't mix). Anything you guys think I can do or should I just save up for a new paint job. Anyone seen a color changing CL?

Shawn S 03-20-2002 10:44 AM

A BLACK 2001 in sunny Florida that has NEVER been waxed ????
:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

I don’t know what exactly that looks like, but it can’t be pretty.
ZAINO Z-5 swirl remover might help, but I would guess there has been some heavy oxidation by now.

And bug guts usually become a permanent part of the paint if left to fry too long.

You had better hope you don’t get thrown off the board for such abuse. :D:D:D

Shawn S

Ultimac 03-20-2002 11:00 AM

Well the bug guts got stuck on my carbecause it went to the shopfor about a week or 2 and I didn't wash it before and they didn't wash it while it was in there. It doesn't look bad,it kept 60%in covered parking(95%the first yr) and tally isn't close enough to the ocean that I have to worry about salt damage. But the swirls are annoying.

Ultimac 03-20-2002 11:03 AM

So should I just save up for a new paint job? I'm thinking dark green to black color changing paint anyone seen this. I have only ever seen it on one car. We have a lot of the blue to purple color chaning cars down here and some green to copper also.

Ultimac 03-20-2002 11:05 AM

Maybe canary yellow like the 911 turbo, that would be hard.:D

TypeSKid 03-20-2002 11:24 AM

MOTION TO BAN!

:P

Scooter 03-20-2002 12:03 PM

use the 3M #39009 swirl remover...it breaks through the clear coat to remove most swirlies...maybe it'll take out some bug discoloration too...once u're done, wash and Zaino that bad boy!!!!

MikeS 18 03-20-2002 12:20 PM

Re: Help with detailing...

Originally posted by Ultimac
My question is, will a professional buffing and waxing get these scratches and swirls out or should I just save up for a new paint job. Anyone seen a color changing CL?
Yes, a professional can get your car cleaned up without requiring a new paint job. I would suggest that you get this done by someone of good/great skill as you do not seem to have the motivation yourself (which is fine - I'd rather see this then a 1/2 assed job and make things worse) But, But, But, check the guys work well and get some references that you can go see since a professional can REALLY screw things up if he sucks.

EricL 03-20-2002 07:12 PM

Re: Re: Help with detailing...

Originally posted by MikeS 18

Yes, a professional can get your car cleaned up without requiring a new paint job. I would suggest that you get this done by someone of good/great skill as you do not seem to have the motivation yourself (which is fine - I'd rather see this then a 1/2 assed job and make things worse) But, But, But, check the guys work well and get some references that you can go see since a professional can REALLY screw things up if he sucks.

Yep (you nailed it), nothing like a good/solid recommendation vs. some "joker" at a car wash who had a 20-minute training session with a buffer used like a paint grinder :rolleyes: