Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 06:26 PM
I'm allergic to bull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helico's review on some car wash goodies I bought

OXO Wash Brush

$9.95 at Autopia

Comments:

1. fits perfectly in your hand and provides comfortable grip (only when dry!!!)

2. has very soft tips, although IMO, not as soft as terry and mf towels. It doesn't scratch paint though

3. won't catch dirty and dust, unlike towels

4. brush provides easier access to wash badges and window trims; however, impossible to wash front grill and inner gap of side mirrors

5. doesn't hold water and bubble well therefore need to rinse frequently

6. a waste of money if you ask me

Meguiars Quick Clay kit

What a rip off for a tiny piece of clay (100 g). I should have bought my clay bar in Japan. I visited Autobac and saw a good selection of clay bars with different level of firmty. 500 g for about 2500 yen. I haven't used it but I assume it works like a clay bar

From left to right

1. Meguiars NXT Tech Protectant

Great stuff for vinyl, rubber and plastic. Unlike 303, it's a vicuous (a little) solution that really gets absolved into surface and leaves a semi-gloss appearance. I applied it using a small piece of terry towel. I accidentally applied too much to my lower console and the entire surface was a mess. I was frustrated about how to wipe the excess off but decided to deal with it after waxing. About 3 hours later when I returned, it was dry and was neither greasy nor streaky. Got to see it to believe it. I highly recommend it because it works great and is much easier to find than 303.

2. Meguiars NXT Tech Wax.

ABSOLUTELY AWESOME Just like others are saying, this thing is the best wax for lazy ass. It's thin and very easy to apply evenly with a foam applicator (included in box). It drys to a haze (very minimum) and can be easier wipe off with a microtowel. It took me less than 10 min to finish it off. It gives a really DEEP gloss that shines right from within. And have I mentioned it smells great?

3. Meguiars Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner

IMO it feels no difference to a regular cheap carnauba wax (turtle wax); apply evenly, let dry and wipe off. I have to admit that it removes blemishes effectively. BUT it's a PITA to wipe off. Took me 2 microtowels to barely get the job done.

4. Meguiars Gold Class Rich Leather cleaner and conditioner

Highly recommended if you love matt looking. IMO it makes the leather feels supple. I mixed 2:1 with distilled water and applied with terry applicator. It absolves easily into leather.

5. Meguiars Hot Shine Tire Spray

It's a solution-based, adjustable sprayer. It works well against spider too. Can't think of anything special about it. Wanna see how long the gloss will last.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:27 PM
I'm allergic to bull

My longest post ever
Old 09-06-2004, 06:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where's your chamois?
Old 09-06-2004, 07:36 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by Helicobacter Pylori

ABSOLUTELY AWESOME Just like others are saying, this thing is the best wax for lazy ass. It's thin and very easy to apply evenly with a foam applicator (included in box). It drys to a haze (very minimum) and can be easier wipe off with a microtowel. It took me less than 10 min to finish it off. It gives a really DEEP gloss that shines right from within. And have I mentioned it smells great?

lazy ass is right, very easy to use. You can't even see where it is on PWP when it dries because its white, which was a little annoying since I didn't know when I was done.

But it does smell good, my friend commented that my car "even smelled sexy"
Old 09-06-2004, 08:18 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Wow...so many words in a Helico post

Great writeup...I might have to try that leather cleaner...
Old 09-06-2004, 08:55 PM
I'm allergic to bull

Originally Posted by TSX 'R' US
Wow...so many words in a Helico post

Great writeup...I might have to try that leather cleaner...

Can't write like Soze I was trained to write dull scientific paper in third person...
Old 09-06-2004, 11:23 PM
Boy Genius

Nice review Helico. I'm tempted to try the NXT protectant now...

I've got some Meguiar's #16 Professional Paste Wax that I've been wanting to use for the longest time. Today was the first nice day here in over two weeks, but golf comes before the car here before the last few days of summer are gone.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:46 PM
Advanced

4. Meguiars Gold Class Rich Leather cleaner and conditioner

Highly recommended if you love matt looking. IMO it makes the leather feels supple. I mixed 2:1 with distilled water and applied with terry applicator. It absolves easily into leather.
I think you mean absorbed...or dissolved!

ab·solve PPronunciation Key(b-zlv, -slv)
tr.v. ab·solved, ab·solv·ing, ab·solves

1.To pronounce clear of guilt or blame.

2.To relieve of a requirement or obligation.

3.To grant a remission of sin to.

4.To pardon or remit (a sin)
Old 09-07-2004, 12:12 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great write up heli, but it would have been easier for me to understand with an animated illustration
Old 09-07-2004, 06:31 AM
I'm allergic to bull

absorb! my bad
Old 09-07-2004, 10:24 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

absorb! my bad
ha ha - I read this just as your avatar blushed
Old 09-07-2004, 10:57 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My longest post ever
What? No animation?
Old 09-07-2004, 07:39 PM
Advanced

Great post! I also like the Tech wax. It sometimes gets a bad rap form some of the guys at Autopia. I would say it is the best wax/sealent for the money and it is easy to get. I would disagree with you on that Gold Class leather conditioner. It smells horrible and is way too greasy for my taste. TSX r Us, I just threw the bottle away. I would have sent it to you. I would not waste my money buying it. I do like Zaino Z-10 leather conditioner. It smells great and seems to do a good job of conditioning without the grease.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:13 PM
I'm allergic to bull

Greasy??? I got a perfectly matt finish. It's a bit too viscous to apply that's why I diluted it. It mixed well with water too. Therefore it shouldn't be oil-based IMO. I'll try to take a picture tmrw

Zaino makes good products. Its leather conditioner should be great too. Too bad, I can't buy it off a store.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:18 PM
Advanced

I never thought to dillute it with water... Maybe I'll try to pick some more up and dillute it this time. i am always open to trying different products and techniques.
ps helico, I like your drawing
Old 09-22-2004, 11:21 PM
Cruisin' the Azine's

Just got my first bottle last weekend and whoa...most of the swirl marks are gone (or well covered)! I have been using quick detailer on the car during the week (campus construction coats my car in dust) and haven't seen the swirl marks come back.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:58 AM
Burning Brakes

3. Meguiars Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner

IMO it feels no difference to a regular cheap carnauba wax (turtle wax); apply evenly, let dry and wipe off. I have to admit that it removes blemishes effectively. BUT it's a PITA to wipe off. Took me 2 microtowels to barely get the job done.

on the bottle of this stuff it says "Do not let product dry. Wipe immediately with a clean, 100% cotton, terry cloth towel or microfiber."

maybe since you let it try, that's why it was such a pain to wipe off. methinks you should read the bottle again.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:41 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Is there a need to use the Meguiars Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner if you already waxed your car with the NXT Wax?