Got an random orbital for Christmas

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 12:31 PM
I've got spurs...

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Got an random orbital for Christmas

Well, as the title says, I got a random orbital as a Christmas gift from my dad.

Problem is, I haven't even heard of the brand before.

Its a Vapor 6" Random Orbital. It states that it is .4 amp 3,500 RPM. It comes with a terry cloth bonnet and a synthetic wool polishing bonnet. Now, if you haven't noticed, I'm very inexperienced at car detailing. I've used clay bar and I've hand waxed but that's about it. From what I can tell, I have two options.

1. Use the buffer he got me.
Will this RO be safe to use as a beginner?
Would you mind pointing me in the right direction as to what products to use in conjuction with this orbital (waxes, polymers, etc)?

2. Ditch the Vapor Orbital and buy one that is known to be reliable (Porter Cable).

Sorry if similar topics to this one has already come up. Also, pardon my lack of knowledge, I'm new to this hobby.

Any and all help/advice will be appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Old 03-20-2010, 01:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Lightus
Well, as the title says, I got a random orbital as a Christmas gift from my dad.

Problem is, I haven't even heard of the brand before.

Its a Vapor 6" Random Orbital. It states that it is .4 amp 3,500 RPM. It comes with a terry cloth bonnet and a synthetic wool polishing bonnet. Now, if you haven't noticed, I'm very inexperienced at car detailing. I've used clay bar and I've hand waxed but that's about it. From what I can tell, I have two options.

1. Use the buffer he got me.
Will this RO be safe to use as a beginner?
Would you mind pointing me in the right direction as to what products to use in conjuction with this orbital (waxes, polymers, etc)?

2. Ditch the Vapor Orbital and buy one that is known to be reliable (Porter Cable). <------- That one

Sorry if similar topics to this one has already come up. Also, pardon my lack of knowledge, I'm new to this hobby.

Any and all help/advice will be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

see bold above .
Old 03-23-2010, 08:16 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,982 Likes on 14,493 Posts
Was that 4 amp...or .4 amp?
I too got one for Christmas, but I got a porter cable. I opted for the Optimum kit that included the Compound II, Polish II, and Poliseal. Good stuff and from what I'm told, a good place to start.

If it's a 4 amp...it may just be a rebrand we're not familiar with. Maybe it'll do the job? Either way, get yourself a backing plate and some good quality pads. 6" might be good....I started with 1 orange, 1 white and 1 black...which is what came with the kit.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
I opted for the Optimum kit that included the Compound II, Polish II, and Poliseal. Good stuff and from what I'm told, a good place to start.
The best IMO for starters.......hell, I use the stuff regularly.
Extended working time, and non dusting, plus it performs? What else do you want....