Good Leather Treatment?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 07:58 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Leather Treatment?

I didn't find anything about this so far so I figured I would post. What do you all use for keeping your leather seats clean and from drying out? I have been using these Armor all leather wipes but they kinda suck. I want the seats to stay close to new, soft. Also the Dash board used to be kinda rubbery like when I touched it, now after putting on 303 it's like shiny. I don't know if this is a good thing. God I am such a cleaning noob, help!!!
Old 09-17-2008, 08:13 PM
steeez

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lexol cleanerconditioner spray/ meguire leather whipes for me
Old 09-17-2008, 09:01 PM
Advanced

same as ecliptics. i use the fast wipes. don't use armor-all, they suck balls.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:25 PM
Racer

Have not used anything yet (the car is only 3 weeks old), but will probably use Leatherique on the leather.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 09-17-2008, 10:14 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by pixel
I have been using these Armor all leather wipes but they kinda suck....Also the Dash board used to be kinda rubbery like when I touched it, now after putting on 303 it's like shiny. I don't know if this is a good thing. God I am such a cleaning noob, help!!!
I use the Meguiar's leather wipes once every 6-8 months; my seats seem pretty close to new.

As for the dash, you need to clean it (wipedown with a damp towel, Honda dash cleaner, or Woolite + water- depending on how dirty or whitish the dash is) BEFORE applying the 303 with a towel/cloth- don't spray the 303 on the dash.

Last edited by Will Y.; 09-17-2008 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
i use the meguiars gold class leather wipes as well, i usually wipe my seats down every 2 or 3 car washes because they make my car smell like leather...i use one for each seat, then wipe the seats down with a dry microfibre cloth....i do the same thing with the dash when it looks like it needs it...otherwise i just wipe it down with a microfibre....

the microfibre wipe down after the leather wipes keeps things from getting shiney...
Old 09-18-2008, 01:48 AM
The Detailer

Common favorites happen to be Lexol, Leather Master, Leatherique, and 1z Lederpflege.

As for your dash, I like using Poorboy's World Natural Look and 303 Aerospace Protectant. Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer is pretty nice as well.

Last edited by Denzil; 09-18-2008 at 01:53 AM.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:55 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Water-based products are able to permeate deep into the hide, which is essential for suppleness recovery. Upholstery leather should be routinely cleaned with a pH balanced, non-alkaline cleaner to loosen and lift grease, dirt and dust without overly drying the leather or affecting the hide’s natural pH. In addition to regular cleaning to remove abrasive debris and oils, leather requires regular replacement of its moisture (re-hydration)

See also article - Automotive Leather Upholstery Care / Maintenance -http://detailingwiki.com/index.php5?...e_Leather_Care
Old 09-18-2008, 08:13 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Will Y.
don't spray the 303 on the dash.
Why not?
Old 09-18-2008, 08:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Water-based products are able to permeate deep into the hide, which is essential for suppleness recovery. Upholstery leather should be routinely cleaned with a pH balanced, non-alkaline cleaner to loosen and lift grease, dirt and dust without overly drying the leather or affecting the hide’s natural pH. In addition to regular cleaning to remove abrasive debris and oils, leather requires regular replacement of its moisture (re-hydration)

See also article - Automotive Leather Upholstery Care / Maintenance -http://detailingwiki.com/index.php5?...e_Leather_Care
automotive leather like that in the tl is leather that is sealed, nothing is going to permeate the hide....all you can do is keep the seats clean and treat the surface....
Old 09-18-2008, 09:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vinnier6
automotive leather like that in the tl is leather that is sealed, nothing is going to permeate the hide....all you can do is keep the seats clean and treat the surface....
Old 09-20-2008, 09:38 AM
10th Gear

Talking Thanks for the info

Well guys I certainly want to thank you all for your info. I think i am going to go with the Lex cleaner and conditioner. Seems to get really good reviews all around. Also I will get a microfiber cloth or the like to apply it. For the dash I really feel like the 303 gave it more of a shine where as before it was more dull and tacky feeling. Wish I could get that back. I usually use a swifter dust remover on the dash to get dust off.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:41 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
I uses the leather cleaner and conditioner from the Acura dealership and it works great on mine.. I figure if anyone knows their product it should be them on what you can and can't use on your car.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:08 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Automotive leather and finished leather surfaces have undergone major technological improvements over the past decade. Nearly all automotive leather surfaces are treated with special chemicals that provide resistance to abrasion, scratching and marring, increase their durability, and provide protection from weathering.

Unless a Premium Leather option was purchased the type of leather upholstery used by ~ 95% of OEM is a multi stratum covering over the leather hide; the top strata is the surface pigmentation (colour) and an abrasion resistant urethane. Real leather has a recognizable fragrance that is missing from polyurethane and plastic. Simple cleaning, hydration and protection are the steps that will prolong the life of finished leather.

Top-grain premium leather is mostly used in prestige European automobiles; Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, Jaguar, Lotus, and Rolls Royce, US Cadillac and high-end German automobiles such as; Audi, BMW, Daimler AG, Mercedes-Benz, and Porsche, for most of these vehicles premium leather is standard OEM specified equipment, but for most it’s a ‘premium’ package that costs upwards of 2,000 USD . This is the niche market sector both Leatherique and Connolly were originally formulated for.

I’ve always been amazed that such a simple detailing task like the cleaning and care of finished leather upholstery has been made into something so complex, the only people who have anything to gain from this have a vested interest in the sale of products. The use of oils, replacement of fat liquor, oil-based conditioning or the adjustment of pH levels is totally unnecessary; the surface is a urethane that contains pigmentation (colour) it neither needs or benefits from any of the above

Modern automotive leather upholstery use a completely different tanning processes and finishing system, utilizing advanced polymers and chemicals (urethane doesn’t require conditioning or rejuvenation) and as a consequence they do not need to be treated with aftercare products containing oils or proteins
Old 03-30-2012, 09:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by pixel
Well guys I certainly want to thank you all for your info. I think i am going to go with the Lex cleaner and conditioner. Seems to get really good reviews all around. Also I will get a microfiber cloth or the like to apply it. For the dash I really feel like the 303 gave it more of a shine where as before it was more dull and tacky feeling. Wish I could get that back. I usually use a swifter dust remover on the dash to get dust off.
Kind of lost me there .. you want the dull tacky feeling back?

BTW the swifer dusters use a coating on the duster to pick up dust .. every time you use it some "can" get left on the dash.