gonna need to get stuff to detail a TL.. again

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007 | 08:40 PM

gonna need to get stuff to detail a TL.. again

id say about 3 years ago i bought some stuff to somewhat detail my 97 2.5TL by reading thru this section of AZ.

well i lost all of that stuff over the the past year due to me not washing the car i have been using, a 99 ML320. I washed it at a carwash place.

but now that i will be driving a new WDP 07 TL i want to keep the paint looking as nice as possible for as long as possible.

so a quick checklist of what im going to purchase.

megs NXT shampoo
waffle weave and regular MF towels
a wheel brush
a MF or sheepskin mit
2 5 gallon buckets + 1 grit guard
NXT tech wax
clay magic claybar
lexol leather cleaner & conditioner
303 - for the interior
megs quick detailer to keep in trunk in case of bird doodoo
compressed air

things i need suggestions for.
wheel cleaner
wheel wax?
tire cleaner
tire dressing
bug/tar remover
polish
glass cleaner

what other items will i need?

btw the car will be parked outside 24/7 so what other things will i have to do/keep in mind to keep it looking nice all the time?

ohh and another question about the leather cleaner? do i have to clean it different since the leather is perforated compared to the 97 TLs leather?

Last edited by Mizouse; 09-13-2007 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-13-2007 | 08:51 PM
Pro

^^^

Hey Mizouse, while I don't have any suggestions for you, I just wanted to mention that I too am really getting into this for my new TL that I picked up a month ago - CGP. So, I'm interested to see what suggestions you'll get!

I just picked up Sonus WW Microfiber drying towels & a Sonus MF Wash mit. Happy with the mit, got some fuzz from the towels...but I posted a question about that below your thread...
Old 09-13-2007 | 08:58 PM

i think I'm gonna have to run and get a MF towel and mit for the time being when I'm still at home. cause all we have here is a sponge and chamois and i don't want to mess up the paint before i can give it a good cleaning.
Old 09-13-2007 | 09:03 PM
Former Sponsor

This may help a little folks...............
Old 09-13-2007 | 09:05 PM
Pro

Thanks Excel!
Old 09-13-2007 | 09:54 PM
Safety Car

This thread should give you an idea what products some of the regulars prefer and should assist you in selecting carcare products.
Old 09-13-2007 | 11:02 PM

all i have to say is & at all these products out there..
Old 09-14-2007 | 02:06 AM
_

A lot of the stuff mentioned in that thread usually isn't available over the counter at your local auto parts store. They're online items.
Old 09-14-2007 | 02:13 AM

is it better to go with OTC items or just order stuff online?
Old 09-14-2007 | 07:47 AM
FTW

Depends, If you can find duragloss products then i'd try that a shot. Otherwise order from an online vender and wait. You will be way happier with the products.
Old 09-14-2007 | 10:23 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mizouse

things i need suggestions for . . .
wheel cleaner -
wheel wax? A sealant will work just fine
tire cleaner -
tire dressing
bug/tar remover - Stoners Tarminator
polish -
glass cleaner - Stoners Invisible Glass or Sprayway Glass Cleaner

what other items will i need?
All the items mentioned are available OTC. I see You've picked NXT as your wax and Megs does have an entire product line to choose from. Here's a Meguiars Car Detailing & Tool Kit that you may be interested in. My choice would be DuraGloss, however, most of the stores listed do not carry the entire product line.

btw the car will be parked outside 24/7 so what other things will i have to do/keep in mind to keep it looking nice all the time?

ohh and another question about the leather cleaner? do i have to clean it different since the leather is perforated compared to the 97 TLs leather?
I would get the windows tinted and purchase a heatshield to protect the interior. Another item would be a California Car Duster. For maintaining leather, how did you do it before?
Old 09-14-2007 | 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
All the items mentioned are available OTC. I see You've picked NXT as your wax and Megs does have an entire product line to choose from. Here's a Meguiars Car Detailing & Tool Kit that you may be interested in. My choice would be DuraGloss, however, most of the stores listed do not carry the entire product line.

I would get the windows tinted and purchase a heatshield to protect the interior. Another item would be a California Car Duster. For maintaining leather, how did you do it before?
thanks alot, as for the leather i would just clean it with the lexol leather cleaner as per instructions, and then condition it with lexol leather conditioner as per instructions.

i have a question about tinting, what is that moleskin thing people are talking about? cause i heard its easy to scratch the tint on the 3G TL.
Old 09-14-2007 | 12:51 PM
Safety Car

thanks alot, as for the leather i would just clean it with the lexol leather cleaner as per instructions, and then condition it with lexol leather conditioner as per instructions.
When cleaning/conditioning leather, I'll moisten an MF towel or MF pad with the solution and start with the non-perforated areas first turning the towel as I do different areas. As long as the towel is not overly saturated, you should be fine.
i have a question about tinting, what is that moleskin thing people are talking about? cause i heard its easy to scratch the tint on the 3G TL.
I don't know if Acura addressed the scratching issue with the 07 models. Moleskin is just a felt strip with an adhesive backing and is applied to the rubber wiper located inside the door panels. This prevents scratching many have complained about. More info can be found in the 3G Garage and also available is the installation DIY. A moleskin kit can be purchased from flnsx, an authorized vendor.

Last edited by Hawhyen51; 09-14-2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-14-2007 | 12:53 PM
FTW

RE: tints

That's the only reason my car doesnt have tints still... scratching is common even with moleskin from user responses.
Old 09-17-2007 | 01:29 AM

Hawhyen51 where can i buy that mequiar's kit? that page doesnt have an order button on the page so i assume its sold out?
Old 09-17-2007 | 07:57 PM
'07 NBP TL

May I suggest investing in a PC unless you already have one
Old 09-17-2007 | 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Porkipine
May I suggest investing in a PC unless you already have one
i would, but i know nothing about using them and dont want to ruin the paint due to my lack of knowledge of proper technique.
Old 09-17-2007 | 09:05 PM
'07 NBP TL

i would, but i know nothing about using them and dont want to ruin the paint due to my lack of knowledge of proper technique.
Its actually not that bad. Got friends with older car that you can practice on? imo, PC is harder to screw up.
Also you planning to install some clear bra? My friend has a white G35 and those rock chips are kill him mentally. I always love to point them out when I visit. I'd say its a good investment.
Also may I suggest getting some FS UPP. I like the stuff. Easy on, easy off. Very slick afterwards. I've used the NXT wax when I first got the car. Its not bad too. My friend uses P21s and he loves that stuff although I never used it before.
Also if you don't have a duster, pick up one. (perticular brand that I like is the oxo).
I also have some Sonus WW Microfiber drying towels. Very nice stuff to use.
Saw your pictures, nice and clean and keep it that way
Old 09-17-2007 | 10:23 PM

i want to get a clearbra, i think the other day i saw a tiny rock chip already

how much do those go for?
Old 09-18-2007 | 09:27 AM
Safety Car

Hawhyen51 where can i buy that mequiar's kit? that page doesnt have an order button on the page so i assume its sold out?
I just happened across it and really didn't take note of the "order" button. You may wanna give them a call @1-866-888-8185 (Toll Free) and check on availability. I don't know if this one will interest you but they also have the Mothers Reflection Package for about the same price ($122). You might also be interested in this Four Star Package.
i want to get a clearbra, i think the other day i saw a tiny rock chip already

how much do those go for?
Paint Protection Film (PPF) commonly known as clearbra is a clear polyurethane film with an adhesive backing and usually applied to the front end of a vehicle (bumper, hood, fenders). PPF prevents damage to the front end from road debris, rocks, bugs, etc. You're looking at anywhere from $500 and up depending on the type of coverage.
There are many first time users and to date I know of no one who has caused any damage to their paint. There are a number of tutorials and videos available online taking you through the entire process. I can understand the apprehension but the PC is really foolproof. IMO, a must have tool if you're anal about your cars appearance. As with any new tool, there is a slight learning curve; determining speed, how polish is broken down and pad & product combination. Lots of threads/posts on PC, just run a search.