Gold Class to NXT --- How to?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 07:43 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Gold Class to NXT --- How to?

Hey...

I detailed the car about a month ago using the Meguiar's Gold Class 3-step (clay-bar, then Paint Cleaner, Polish, Gold Class Wax)...

Since Meguiar's NXT product line will finally be available here in a month, I'd like to switch over to the superior product. Since my car already has all of the Gold Class products on it, do I have to do anything to remove it and start over <i.e.: Paint Cleaner (step 1), then Show Car Glaze #7 (want to use this polish instead of the Deep Crystal Polish #2), then NXT wax>??

Or, will the Show Car Glaze #7 (polish) remove all of the previous layers of Gold Class stuff so that I can just use that and then the NXT wax on top.

??
Old 06-07-2004, 08:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Street Spirit
Hey...

I detailed the car about a month ago using the Meguiar's Gold Class 3-step (clay-bar, then Paint Cleaner, Polish, Gold Class Wax)...

Since Meguiar's NXT product line will finally be available here in a month, I'd like to switch over to the superior product. Since my car already has all of the Gold Class products on it, do I have to do anything to remove it and start over <i.e.: Paint Cleaner (step 1), then Show Car Glaze #7 (want to use this polish instead of the Deep Crystal Polish #2), then NXT wax>??

Or, will the Show Car Glaze #7 (polish) remove all of the previous layers of Gold Class stuff so that I can just use that and then the NXT wax on top.

??
#7 will be fine ! You should be on the tail end of your protection anyway, so a simple wash, polsih with #7, should be fine. I may decide to wait and clay after 6 months....NXt can provide protection anywhere from 2-8 weeks, depending on weather conditions and frequency of washes, and QD's used to maintain. Its a fairly decent product, but I dont believe it lives up to some of the other Polymers standards. (Blackfire, Klasse, Platinum, par with Wolfgang)
I used it on white and had great results, and have maintained with Eagle One Wax As U Dry.......I use it as a QD at a 3:1 ratio with water......
Old 06-08-2004, 02:22 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also heard NXT is a cleaner wax so layering it shouldn't work. Just something on autopia.org forum
Old 06-08-2004, 08:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
You'll need to strip the carnauba before applying NXT. It's a polymer, so it needs a very clean surface to bond. Wash down the car with household dishwashing liquid, yes Dawn. It will strip all the oils and waxes off the car and leave it squeaky clean. Then go to town on the NXT.

As for it being a cleaner/wax, nope, it's a polish - a polymer to be exact. I have not read that it has any abrasive properties.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:38 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
You'll need to strip the carnauba before applying NXT. It's a polymer, so it needs a very clean surface to bond. Wash down the car with household dishwashing liquid, yes Dawn. It will strip all the oils and waxes off the car and leave it squeaky clean. Then go to town on the NXT.

As for it being a cleaner/wax, nope, it's a polish - a polymer to be exact. I have not read that it has any abrasive properties.
I don't have a carnauba on the car right now... Meguiar's Gold Class wax is a polymer as well. I'm also not keen on stripping the car with Dawn. I did that when I initially purchased the used '99 and did the whole Gold Class process...but I definitely don't want it to be a habit. I do have 'paint cleaner' though (#1 of the retail-line of 3 steps of Meguiar's) -- that should strip everything off, no?? After using the 'paint cleaner' - the I can go on to Meguiar's Show Car Glaze (polish) and then NXT? Or can I skip the whole paint cleaner phase and just start with Show Car Glaze and then NXT wax? Will the Show Car strip whatever else was on there? Does a polish do that as one of its jobs?
And....if you claim NXT wax is a polish - wouldn't that mean by using Show Car Glaze and then NXT wax, I'm really just super-polishing the car???
Is there any additional product I can put on top of the NXT wax to enhance the gloss or protection even further?

Thanks for the help so far....am doing this over the weekend, so need to have it figured out by then!
Old 06-08-2004, 10:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
You can top NXT with any carnauba.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:37 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Chet03TL-S
I also heard NXT is a cleaner wax so layering it shouldn't work. Just something on autopia.org forum

this is true
Old 06-08-2004, 11:38 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT

it's got abrasives in it, let me find a link
Old 06-08-2004, 11:39 AM
teh Senior Instigator

I've heard of people topping NXT w/ #20 w/ good results!
Old 06-08-2004, 11:40 AM
teh Senior Instigator

here you go NSXNEXT

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...=NXT+Abrasives
Old 06-08-2004, 03:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CLpower
I've heard of people topping NXT w/ #20 w/ good results!
#20 has more cleaners in it than NXT, you have probable removed NXT with # 20...!
Old 06-08-2004, 10:46 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just use Dawn dish detergent its the best stripper out there
Old 06-09-2004, 11:20 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by rescueswimmer
just use Dawn dish detergent its the best stripper out there

wrong, it's not the best out there, but it's the cheapest. I've used it, but i'm more keen to using Griots Paint Cleaner
Old 06-09-2004, 12:03 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NXT GEN Spray "Booster" Wax VS. Eagle One Nano Wax

Meguiars makes a NXT gen Spray "Booster Wax". Polish the car with #7, then add a layer or two of NXT. And to rejuvenate this look, wash the car weekly and apply a thin coat of spray-on booster wax. That's what meguiars has designed the boster wax for.. to "boost" the shine, durability and alltogether lifespan of the wax..

the Spray wax is also much cheaper than the Tech Wax so don't feel like they are trying to make you purchase a watered-down version of the tech wax.

I have actually just performend a test with the NXT gen spray wax vs. Eagle one Nano Wax Cream..
I put masking tape down the center of my mother's hood (after washed with NXT gen wash).. I used the Eagle one on the passengerside and JUST NXT booster wax on the driverside of the hood, I knew that the NXT gen tech wax would destroy the eagle one in caomparasion, but the spray wax was about a third the price as Tech wax and half the cost of the eagle one...

The results, I honestly couldn't tell much of a difference, I know that durability will be the main factor, but as far as slickness is concerned.. almost identical..the car has not been claybarred so it is not really fair to judge on slickness on a weathered 98 Windstar. But in comparasion they "felt" very similar, and the NXT gen spray wax being half the price, I now know why they were giving away the nanowax with a full money back cupon if you mailed it in..