Get the shine out of the leather

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 07:55 PM
05 Carbon Grey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get the shine out of the leather

My friend just got a new 06 TSX and i like how the seats have the dull look. My seats are 2 yrs old and my drivers side is starting to get shiny and creased. Is there any product to remove the shinyness and restore the new "dull" look? Also is there any way to remove the creases in the seats or am I SOL?

Thx for your help!
Old 03-26-2007, 10:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Mr, its just the nature of the beast. What your actually dong everytime you get in and out is your actually polishing the leathers surface. This is a natural ocurance, and theres not a alot that can be done. With one exception, keep the seats clean and conditioned, and maintain a slick surface, so your pant slide, instead of grip. Its that gripping sensation that "polishes the surface.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:24 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Exceldetail is correct (the cause)

Cleaning- use a soft horse hair brush (Groit's Leather & Interior Brush) to remove any dust or grit from the seams and vacuum the seating areas dust, apply a cleaning solution (Water /Woolite® or Dreft® 6:1 ratio or stronger) on to an applicator pad and apply to one area at a time (i.e. a seat back). To remove stubborn dirt or grime gently agitate the surface with a boar's hair cleaning brush (this will not harm the leather) then use a clean, damp Microfiber towel to rinse

To bring back a matte finish and safely remove prior use products, Autoglym - Interior Cleaner, allow approx 24 hours for the panels to dry. It may be necessary to repeat the cleaning process to get it back to a matte finish. Then apply a leather conditioner (Zymol Treat) use spareingly, do not over-condition

Maintenance cleaning- use a cleaning solution (Water /Woolite® or Dreft® 10:1 ratio) on to an applicator pad and apply to one area at a time

Maintenance: Once every 30-60 days, Arizona, Florida and Texas, especially in summer, for northern climates between 90-120 days, use a leather conditioner to restore these natural oils and keep the leather soft and supple. (Criot's Leather Care, Autoglym Leather Care Cream, Zanio Z10 Leather in a Bottle or Zymol Treat leather cleaners are all good maintenance products)

Note: most leather cleaner also contain oils (for lubrication) over use will make the leather surface 'shine'

Last edited by TOGWT; 03-27-2007 at 02:27 AM.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:07 AM
Supercharged 2005 TL NBP

I use the lexol leather wipes, same thing as what lexus uses
~Jason
Old 03-27-2007, 11:15 AM
TSXRCR22

Is it ok to use a leather cleaner, conditioner, and then after you use those, add some 303 protectant to give it the proper UV protection???
Old 03-27-2007, 11:40 AM
05 Carbon Grey

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Exceldetail is correct (the cause)

Cleaning- use a soft horse hair brush (Groit's Leather & Interior Brush) to remove any dust or grit from the seams and vacuum the seating areas dust, apply a cleaning solution (Water /Woolite® or Dreft® 6:1 ratio or stronger) on to an applicator pad and apply to one area at a time (i.e. a seat back). To remove stubborn dirt or grime gently agitate the surface with a boar's hair cleaning brush (this will not harm the leather) then use a clean, damp Microfiber towel to rinse

To bring back a matte finish and safely remove prior use products, Autoglym - Interior Cleaner, allow approx 24 hours for the panels to dry. It may be necessary to repeat the cleaning process to get it back to a matte finish. Then apply a leather conditioner (Zymol Treat) use spareingly, do not over-condition

Maintenance cleaning- use a cleaning solution (Water /Woolite® or Dreft® 10:1 ratio) on to an applicator pad and apply to one area at a time

Maintenance: Once every 30-60 days, Arizona, Florida and Texas, especially in summer, for northern climates between 90-120 days, use a leather conditioner to restore these natural oils and keep the leather soft and supple. (Criot's Leather Care, Autoglym Leather Care Cream, Zanio Z10 Leather in a Bottle or Zymol Treat leather cleaners are all good maintenance products)

Note: most leather cleaner also contain oils (for lubrication) over use will make the leather surface 'shine'
Thanks for the advice! I will def give this a try. What concentration should I mix water/woolite? 6:1 or 10:1?
Old 03-27-2007, 01:15 PM
My Daily Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good info here....I gotta do this myself!