FS UPP + Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 09:37 PM
I'm in

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Lightbulb FS UPP + Help

First off I'd like to thank Patrick for the excellent service of helping find the products I needed. Also everyone who shares their detailing knowledge in here!

Now before I continue with my questions, I'd like to share my impressions about the Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection Sealant. Wow. The ease of application and removal beats EVERYTHING else out there IMO. The slickness and depth is crazy. I used it on my Armada thats dark metallic gray that left if soooo shiney. My friend ran his finger along the paint and asked me what I used because if was so slick! This made me . I highly recommend to anyone that is in need of a sealant!

Now the sealant I was impressed by. My paint prep was not up to my expectations. The car: 2004 NBP (black) TL. Before learning about PC's I'd give it twice a month a hand wax, basic OTC Meguiars products. I was pleased till I learned more about detailing.

This was my process:
- Wash with Meg's wash
- Clayed entire car with Meg's fine grade clay
- Polished with Poorboy's 2.0 with an Orange Excel Pad
- Sealed with Four Star UPP with a Green Pad
- Used a 7336, spread on 3 then worked in at 5

Now, happy with the results I did not remove all my light swirls, nothing heavy, or oxidation. Here's where I'm not sure what I did wrong. I used a quarter amount of product on the pad, spread around 2 x 2 area at the most, spread it some more on speed 3. Then I worked it in at 5. I used up - down, right - left motions.

The only thing I would assume I did wrong was not pushing hard enough, or going to fast. I also THINK I marred the paint. According to what I have read, especially on dark color cars, I should follow up with a milder pad. Also I've read I should push just before the PC begins to bog...

These are my thoughts! Any tips suggestions are greatly appreciated
Old 06-09-2007, 10:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I knew you wouldnt be dissaponted with UPP. I would say not too many are!
Now for the PC. Hey its your first time, and theres always room for improvement, as well as learning. I do everytime I use it. So lets analyze what you did. Im concerened initially, that the quarter size product you applied on the pad, may not have been enough, initially. To jump start "seasoning", I like to add little drops, about the size of your thumbnail, at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock. As well as a tad in the middle. Apply to surface of car, spread around while machine is off, then start your polishing. 1st pass is for getting the product to the points you wish to polish. This doesnt have to be at a high spedd, 4 is fine. 2nd pass is when polishing begins, your just starting to break those abrasives down which in turn reduces scratches/swirls/ blems and oxidation. You can opt to turn it up a little, maybe 5 or 6 if your comfortable. 3rd pass, slow your arm movement down, add a little pressure (not to the point where the the machine bogs) just enough to compress the pad, no more then 25%. You want to fully break down the abrasives at this point. Allow the pad and oscillations to do this.
You should be able to polish about a 3x3 or slightly more with your initial product application. The second area you move to will require a little additional product, but not the same amount as at the onset.
PB 2 is an excellent light duty polish, and withe the Orange pad, you shouldnt normally need to follow with another pad and polish (Paint and color dependant). The Orange pad is extremely versatile, can be used with very aggressive polishes, down to light polishes.
If you think you have some marring, give it another go with the Orange and SSR2. If you notice the polish drying up a tad, add some quick detailer for lube. This will allow a little longer working time.