Flash Brown Royal wheel cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 07:22 AM
Chapter Leader (Midwest Region)

Received 784 Likes on 558 Posts
Flash Brown Royal wheel cleaner

Has anyone tried this on their Acura wheels? I watched a couple of YouTube videos on it. One video compared the Sonax wheel cleaner to this stuff and he said he liked the Brown Royal stuff better. Want to get it, but like any other product, I'm hesitant to buy without someone I trusts recommendation. It is quite a bit cheaper than your "high end" wheel cleaners, $15 for a gallon, which can essentially make 4 gallons when diluted. I've read the website several times and other forums as well, but as I said I need a fellow Aziner I trust to tell me it's safe before I pull the trigger. I just purchase the Sonax wheel cleaner so I'll use that of course, but it is so damn expendy. Looking for a cheaper route that doesn't involve the crap at Autozone.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Are you cleaning a lot of cars or just your own wheels?
Old 06-20-2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Are you cleaning a lot of cars or just your own wheels?
just mine and my GF car.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Assuming you wash them weekly you souldn't need a wheel cleaner at all.

Would you use a wheel cleaner on your hood as regular as you use it on the wheels? Same finish...

All I have used on my own is the tail end of the car wash soap and a dedicated chenelle mitt.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:35 AM

Assuming you wash them weekly you souldn't need a wheel cleaner at all.

Would you use a wheel cleaner on your hood as regular as you use it on the wheels? Same finish...

All I have used on my own is the tail end of the car wash soap and a dedicated chenelle mitt.
Also forgot to mention that I live in an apartment and wash it at the local car wash. The brembo brake pads are known to be extremely dusty, and thats what Im looking to "cut through". My hood does not have brembo brakes either. But I was asking about the product, not on how to clean my wheels. Thanks for anyone that can post any helpful advice on this particular product.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Fair enough .... but your wheels have clear coat .. just like your hood.

I might not have been helpful about the product but I detail enough cars to see what continued use of these wheel cleaners can do to the clear on wheels.

Have a nice day

BTW a simple google search will tell you its alkaline based and has mixed reviews.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:06 AM

Fair enough .... but your wheels have clear coat .. just like your hood.

I might not have been helpful about the product but I detail enough cars to see what continued use of these wheel cleaners can do to the clear on wheels.

Have a nice day

BTW a simple google search will tell you its alkaline based and has mixed reviews.
I Googled the hell out of this stuff and found the same findings, but like I said I wanted someone on here that I trusted that knew anything about the stuff. I have read a lot of reviews in the Wash/Wax forum here and all the ones that I have read (even on high end cars) use some kind of wheel cleaner (be that P21-s, Sonax, Chemical Guys). I just wanted something that was a little more affordable and less time consuming. Yes I do understand that I can clean my wheels with water and a A LOT of elbow grease, but that is for the birds when it is 100 degrees outside. I plan on sealing my wheels with the poorboys wheel sealant after the rims are 100% clean. I am new to this whole "detailing" thing and want to do my best with what I can, since I dont have a place where I can bucket wash my car. I wasnt trying to be rude if thats how I came off. As always I appreciate any help I can get, as its better than no help at all.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
a lot of polite arguing going on in here. good day to you both gentlemen. i bid you adieu.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by KillerG
a lot of polite arguing going on in here. good day to you both gentlemen. i bid you adieu.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Yes, Brown Royal is a better wheel cleaner.
Yes, it'll make your weekly cleaning much easier.
But Jesstzn has a valid point here, why spend the money on wheel cleaners if you're cleaning them often? You could very well be spending that money else where.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by CU2MIKE
Yes, Brown Royal is a better wheel cleaner.
Yes, it'll make your weekly cleaning much easier.
But Jesstzn has a valid point here, why spend the money on wheel cleaners if you're cleaning them often? You could very well be spending that money else where.
Thats what I was wanting to know, its considerably cheaper than the "boutique" wheel cleaners out there. The gallon costs $15 or so and it would last me a very long time, as other wheel cleaners dont last that long. I have to clean my wheels weekly, because I dont want the brake dust to build up on there. I was wanting a quick "spray on, hose off" cleaner that makes my life much easier. That to me is priceless. I am going to purchase it and do a review myself on it and the Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner on the type S wheels that I have. Thanks for help.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mccollins23
I have read a lot of reviews in the Wash/Wax forum here and all the ones that I have read (even on high end cars) use some kind of wheel cleaner (be that P21-s, Sonax, Chemical Guys). .
Actually most of those reviews are proceedures used by detailers that are sponsors and of course they will use a cleaner .. thats how the sell them.

They aren't going to tell you the APC they sell isn't needed to clean tires and that "Awsome" from the Dollar Tree will clean them just as well for a dollar a bottle. Same with the cleaner they use in the interior .. where a water/Woolite solution will do it at 1/4 the cost.

Unfortunatly most wheel cleaners aren't spray on hose off , you still have to wash the wheel after or it leaves a residue.

If you want to save a bit .. drop the Wheel Wax idea and buy some NuFinish Liquid .. it will last a lot longer and is OTC.

Once the wheels have a layer or 2 of a sealant on them there is no"LOT" of scrubbing involved.

The pads I have on mine dust as bad as the Brembos and I don't scrub.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:41 PM
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 195 Posts
Actually most of those reviews are proceedures used by detailers that are sponsors and of course they will use a cleaner .. thats how the sell them.

They aren't going to tell you the APC they sell isn't needed to clean tires and that "Awsome" from the Dollar Tree will clean them just as well for a dollar a bottle. Same with the cleaner they use in the interior .. where a water/Woolite solution will do it at 1/4 the cost.

Unfortunatly most wheel cleaners aren't spray on hose off , you still have to wash the wheel after or it leaves a residue.

If you want to save a bit .. drop the Wheel Wax idea and buy some NuFinish Liquid .. it will last a lot longer and is OTC.

Once the wheels have a layer or 2 of a sealant on them there is no"LOT" of scrubbing involved.

The pads I have on mine dust as bad as the Brembos and I don't scrub.
goooood shiiiiiit
Old 06-20-2011, 04:07 PM
'That's what she said!'

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
When you say NuFinish Liquid, do you mean the NuFinish Liquid wax that's suppose to be for the paint?
Old 06-20-2011, 04:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Thats what I was wanting to know, its considerably cheaper than the "boutique" wheel cleaners out there. The gallon costs $15 or so and it would last me a very long time, as other wheel cleaners dont last that long. I have to clean my wheels weekly, because I dont want the brake dust to build up on there. I was wanting a quick "spray on, hose off" cleaner that makes my life much easier. That to me is priceless. I am going to purchase it and do a review myself on it and the Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner on the type S wheels that I have. Thanks for help.
Word to the wise, and I'm just trying to help here.
Many vendors will video taping themselves using a wheel cleaner, no agitation, to show that "no scrubbing is needed", but pay attention to what they are using to rinse off. A POWERFUL PRESSURE WASHER! Obviously with a pressure washer blasting 1600psi and up, you don't need to "agitate" with brush. Honest truth is, if you don't have a pressure washer, prepare to do some scrubbing, albeit less scrubbing than you'd have to without a wheel cleaner, but scrubbing nonetheless!

And do use "NuFinish" for wheel wax, I've tried it on Jesstzn's recommendation and it works wonders! Plus it's OTC AND CHEAP.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by renedcruz
When you say NuFinish Liquid, do you mean the NuFinish Liquid wax that's suppose to be for the paint?
Exactly .. because the wheels are clear coated just like your paint.
The following users liked this post:
renedcruz (06-20-2011)
Old 06-20-2011, 11:00 PM
'That's what she said!'

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Exactly .. because the wheels are clear coated just like your paint.
Man that's awesome. Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:19 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Sounds like the OP got some honest advice from members he can trust on Azine.

Well done, Azine. Well done.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try this out, rather than hitting them constantly with cleaner, keep them sealed so it won't stick. NuFinish is ok, but the real downside of that is the effort you need to put into applying it.

Personally I use Majestic Solutions Enviroshield, lasts about 3 weeks but all you have to do is spray on, let sit and hose off a couple minutes later. Since the brake dust isn't sticking, all you need is to give it some light agitation with brushes and car wash soap and it will come right off
Old 06-22-2011, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Darkstar752
Try this out, rather than hitting them constantly with cleaner, keep them sealed so it won't stick. NuFinish is ok, but the real downside of that is the effort you need to put into applying it.

Personally I use Majestic Solutions Enviroshield, lasts about 3 weeks but all you have to do is spray on, let sit and hose off a couple minutes later. Since the brake dust isn't sticking, all you need is to give it some light agitation with brushes and car wash soap and it will come right off
I went and got a bottle of NUfinish today and am going to put it on this weekend. I have a Mothers power cone, I am going to see if that will make applying easier. I have already the Poorboys wheel sealant also. Should I use both, Poorboys to seal the wheel, then NUfinish, or the other way, or just scrap the Poorboys altogether? Thanks for everybodys help.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:32 PM
Suzuka Master

I went and got a bottle of NUfinish today and am going to put it on this weekend. I have a Mothers power cone, I am going to see if that will make applying easier. I have already the Poorboys wheel sealant also. Should I use both, Poorboys to seal the wheel, then NUfinish, or the other way, or just scrap the Poorboys altogether? Thanks for everybodys help.
The cone won't help ... just apply the Nufinish with a yellow foam applicator then a soft cloth to wipe off .. you can layer Nufinish if given time to cure between layers .. min 12 hours. The wheel wax doesn't have that long a life ... thats why they say to apply it regularly ..

Nufinish will last a lot longer if treated like you treat your paint .

Nufinish IS a sealant.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:54 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Mccollins,

I have a special foam applicator designed just for applying sealants to wheels.
It special in that it is closed cell foam with dual sided construction in a hi-viz yellow to distinguish them from your other applicators so you don't get them mixed up. That would be bad.

These are specific for wheels sealants/waxes. I sell them for $19.99 each. Let me know if you are interested.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by stogie1020
Mccollins,

It special in that it is closed cell foam with dual sided construction in a hi-viz yellow to distinguish them from your other applicators so you don't get them mixed up. That would be bad.

These are specific for wheels sealants/waxes. I sell them for $19.99 each. Let me know if you are interested.
I have a special one too ... its called "one of my older yellow 4" round applicators" and its not boutique and its easy to distinguish from my other ones because it has a "W" on it via a Sharpie" Priceless...
The following users liked this post:
stogie1020 (06-23-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
i use Rejex on my wheels... acts the same as any other sealant... but i think a bit more pricey... i'll try the NuFinish stuff when i run out of Rejex...
Old 06-23-2011, 05:45 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

I have a special one too ... its called "one of my older yellow 4" round applicators" and its not boutique and its easy to distinguish from my other ones because it has a "W" on it via a Sharpie" Priceless...
So, you recognized the irony in my post. Good..... Thank you.

10 to 1 some new guy will PM to see about buying it.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
^^
Old 06-23-2011, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by stogie1020
Mccollins,

Put me down for a case of them, I have 3 cars, so Ill need 12, one for each wheel. Oh and by the way can I pay $29.99 each, I dont want to jip you. Oh and I will need some of that Unicorn tears headlight fluid you are selling as well.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:00 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

I am out of Unicorn tear fluid, but should be getting a new shipment shortly. That stuff is the best.

I sell it as part of a kit...
Old 07-21-2011, 12:33 PM

Ok, Here goes (zippin up flame suit), I broke down and bought a bottle of this stuff. It is amazing! It is truly a spray on hose off kind of cleaner that leaves no brake dust behind. I have sonax and now this stuff. Cost wise and performance wise, I give the advantage to Brown Royal. For those of you who do your car washes at the local car wash this is for you. No scubbing is involved whatsoever. Now I know most of the people reading this thread are "professional" car detailers, but to the average Joe who likes to keep their wheels free of brake dust, it works. For those interested the website is www.flashwax.com