First Hand Wash - Got a Swirl

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 02:01 PM
BRH
BRH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Hand Wash - Got a Swirl

This was originally posted under the TSX Discussion Forum. It was suggested that I re-post it here:

Two days ago, I gave my 2 week old TSX it's first hand wash, using Meguiar's "Deep Crystal" Car Wash, a brand new soft sponge and then dried it with a brand new chamois cloth.

Now, I can see a swirl on the rear passenger-side door when the sun shines on the car. It's kind of like a hologram -- the image doesn't appear to be on the surface, but just off of the surface, and moves around depending on what angle I'm looking at it from. At first, I thought that it might be a reflection/glare off of the door handle, but unfortunately its not.

Is this something that's in the clear coat, or in the paint itself? And what can be done to remove it?

The rest of the car looks great, so this sticks out like a sore thumb and is pretty annoying.

If it matters, the exterior color of the car is Deep Green Pearl.

Also, I did run the car through a touchless car wash (no wax - wash only) a few days earlier and didn't dry it. When I wasn't happy with the results, I did the hand wash. I didn't notice this swirl until after the hand wash.

Any help with this would be appreciated.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:41 PM
Instructor

Easiest thing to do is probably get some Mothers cleaner polish and go over the area, either by hand or with an orbital. The cleaners in the polish should take it right off. Then, you could just put a coat of wax on the car to seal it up.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:26 PM
BRH
BRH

Thanks for the quick response!

Please excuse my ignorance with the following questions as I'm completely new to this, but want to keep my new car in as good a shape as possible with the limited amount of time I have.

1. Whats' the difference between polish and wax?
2. Why is there a need to wax the entire car after applying the cleaner polish over a limited area? With the car being only 2 weeks old, I wasn't thinking of waxing it just yet.
3. But if waxing is necessary, what brand/type do you recommend?
4.. I assume that the application of the cleaner polish would be in straight lines (not circles), right?
5. Is what I described seeing a swirl in the clear coat?

Thanks again!
Old 01-30-2006, 11:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BRH
Thanks for the quick response!

Please excuse my ignorance with the following questions as I'm completely new to this, but want to keep my new car in as good a shape as possible with the limited amount of time I have.

1. Whats' the difference between polish and wax?
2. Why is there a need to wax the entire car after applying the cleaner polish over a limited area? With the car being only 2 weeks old, I wasn't thinking of waxing it just yet.
3. But if waxing is necessary, what brand/type do you recommend?
4.. I assume that the application of the cleaner polish would be in straight lines (not circles), right?
5. Is what I described seeing a swirl in the clear coat?

Thanks again!
BRH, Im going to go out on a limb and suggest what your seeing is a result of your dealers prep. If the swirl is moving around in the sunlight, as a hologram, its a result of improper finishing products and techniques. They may have added a little glaze product that has diminished with washings via the corner wash lot, and your own. This is easily removed with some light PC work or hand polishing, albeit the latter is a little more time consuming and laborous.
Now, onto your other questions:
1. Polish contains abrasives, which abrade (safely if done properly) a minute portion of clear coat, which will level the swirl or scratch. Cleaners on the other hand contain chemicals which remove dead paint and other imperfections. They will not remove swirls though.
2. Waxes provide protection, and reflectivity. They do not add depth or gloss, that comes from your polishes. You dont have to wax the entire surface if your spot repairing, but you should complete an entire panel when making such repairs to add consistency and even-ness to the vehicle.
3. Surface protection comes in two forms, Carnaubas, or Polymer synthetics. Nubas are short lived (with the exception of Collinite) due to there natural contents. They tend to float on the surface, and arent really layerable. My theory is whatever wax is existing, is compromised by future applications due to the products used to make Nubas usable i.e. petroleum products like solvents and thinners. Polymers are best known for there durability. In my experience, they look every bit as warm, and deep as a Nuba, yet tend to last about 3 times as long. Some examples would be Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection, Poorboys EX-P, Klasse SG.
4. Swirls are circles, so we like to avoid making circles on paint surfaces. Circles are visible in all light directives, whereas if theres a scratch or marring running lengthwise, it is less noticeable.
5. All, well most vehicle paint comes with a base coat (color), then a clear coat. Clear coats are nothing more then non pigmented paints, with U.V. inhibitors. You want to keep your fingers crossed that all your surface correction need only be addressed in the clear coat!
Your best assett in surface car care, is proper protection......I prefer seasonal applications of sealants, with monthly booster spray sealants, after washes. In between washes, I will use a quick detailer. Hope to have helped !
Old 02-03-2006, 07:57 PM
BRH
BRH

Thanks for the informative response. I've got a few newbie-type questions, though, to clarify what I'm reading here and on other threads:

1. Regarding the swirl - I don't have a lot of time to work on the car this weekend. How does this sound for a "quick and dirty" (pardon the pun) solution?

a. Wash the car.
b. Apply polish (by hand) to remove (hopefully) the swirl. (Would a microfiber towel work well for this, or is there something better to use?)
c. Apply sealant to the area of the swirl. (Exactly how is this applied?)

2. The car is now 3 weeks old and is due for another wash after today's rain. If the procedure above is sound, what do you recommend for an easy to use polish and easy to use sealant? Preferably something that I can pick up at Pep Boys so that I can do this tomorrow before leaving on Sunday (not with the car) on a business trip this week. NOte that I don't have a garage.

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2006, 02:50 AM
Former Sponsor

I'd rather see you spend what time is allocated, for proper completion of maybe just a panel or two. Take your time polishing, as this is the most important when it comes to repairs.
Apply the polish in a linear direction, and try to work to a haze, then wipe with a microfiber. Inspect, repeat if necesary. When your satisfied with the polishing results, move to the next step, sealing. Apply in the same direction as you polished, with little to no pressure. Allow 30 minutes if a polymer, Nubas can be wiped away while in the hazing stage. Anyhing that dries, is considered a waste, as thats what your removing, so keep your applications thin. Remove in linear direction with a microfiber....
Mothers Prewax cleaner, and Reflections Wax (Polymer) would be a good choice from PB's.....
Old 02-04-2006, 07:26 AM
BRH
BRH

Thanks again for that info, Exceldetail.

A few (hopefully final) questions on this:

1. By moving in a linear motion, you mean just in one direction, not back and forth, right? For example, this swirl is on the rear passenger side door. So, the motion should be from right to left only (ie: front to back) , right?

2. Obviously, the polish needs to be done only at the immediate area of the swirl. Is it best then to seal just that area or the entire door, if I'm pressed for time? And how noticable will the difference be between the sealed portion vs unsealed portions?

3. I assume that Mothers Prewax Cleaner is the polish, while Reflections Wax (polymer) is the sealant? Is "Reflections" the brand name is it also put out by Mothers?

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2006, 10:35 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These are the two product being referred to, the pre-wax cleaner is a mild polish and will remove oxidation, minor imperfections and old wax.

Old 02-04-2006, 11:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Just move in one direction, and then back again, so left to right, right to left......(Polish like your sanding wood).
As for polishing, go ahead and tackle your main area with special attention, but then give the whole panel a once over, lightly. I think you'll see that this will be a much better choice, as the whole panel will come together.
Thanks Danny for answering #3!
Old 02-04-2006, 12:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Patrick, the reflection on your TL (from the other post) is just so deep. Do you have a side shot of it? Love to see it. And the Porsche is just unreal. Kudos on your work ... I know, I shoulda posted it on the other thread.......
Old 02-04-2006, 05:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Danny, this is the only side angle I have...........

A little "T & L"......

Last edited by exceldetail; 02-04-2006 at 05:07 PM.