First Full Detail - Suggesions???

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Full Detail - Suggesions???

Back Story... Feel free to skip this part.
I'm a proud owner of a 07 TL-S 6MT which I bought new. I've tried to maintain the paint as best I could over the two years I've owned it (routine washes and wax every every 4 months with Zaino AIO). I wash the car by hand 75% of the time and go through touch-less car washes for the remainder.

Last year, I moved to the Chicago from Jacksonville, FL and experienced my first "real" winter. Which has been especially brutal on my car. So, I decided to pull the trigger on a PC and attempt to my first full detail.

I've been trolling the "wash and wax" forum here and spent a good bit of time reading/researching on Autopia. I feel like I have enough generally knowledge to pull it off. Please offer up your suggestions/comments/recommendations on additional products and steps.

Products I've bought so far...

Polish & Seals
Zaino AIO
Zaino Z-5
Poorboys SSR2.5

Waxs
OTC Megs Cleaners Wax (I think it came with clay bar kit?)
P21S Concours Carnauba Wax

Orbital
Porter Cable 7424
PC Backing Plate
LC white buffing pads
LC orange buffing pads

Towels/Pads
6 - OTC 16"x16" microfiber
1 - Waffle Weave 24" x 36" microfiber
5 - square microfiber applicators
1 - Lake Country: Blue Grout Sponge

Wash/Cleaners
Megs Gold Class
Optimum (OPT): No Rinse (ONR)
Chemical Guys: Window Clean
Eagle One Mag and AL cleaner (tailpipes)
Megs Tire Gel
Megs Hot Wheel Rim cleaner
Megs Clay Bar
Megs Quick Detailer (came with clay bar)

Planed Detail Progression

Day One
  1. Wash the car with Dawn 2 bucket method
  2. Clay entire car
  3. Drink beer
  4. Tape trim
  5. Apply PoorBoys SSR 2.5 Polish with PC orange pad
  6. Remove polish with microfiber towel
  7. Apply Zaino AIO with PC using white pad <-- should I let this cure before next step?
  8. Remove polish with microfiber towel
  9. Remove tape
  10. Apply Zaino Z-5 by hand <-- Is this necessary?
  11. Remove polish with microfiber towel

Day Two
  12. Give Z-5 enough time to cure and rest arms
  13. Finish with two coats of P21S (LSP)
  14. Take pictures and celebrate first detail

I'm a not sure how well the Zaino AIO will work after applying PB SSR2.5. I know you want to follow mild polishes with less abrasive polishes. Ideally I would follow PB SSR2.5 with PB SSR1 but since I don't have any, I would like to stick with one of the Zaino products I have. Thanks in advance for you comments. This forum has been a great resource!

Pick of my baby

Last edited by tofufighter; 03-27-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
thats the same stuff I use for wash/cleaners.. I need to get a buffer i need some of the poorboy stuff for my wheels but i need it by sunday...

Looks good though want to come do mine LOL
Old 03-28-2009, 01:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I would HIGHLY recommend a milder polish if your using 2.5. Matter of fact, if this is your first venture via a PC, Orange pad and 2.5, I would skip it altogether.
2.5 is a pretty strong polish. I gave it a toss after it pitted a Carrera I was polishing, took me forever to get rid of the pitting. And I had used 2.5 many times before, and was very familiar with its characteristics. I never looked back with PB's after that day.
I would seriously skip it or add to it with a milder polish to follow up with.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:11 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for the suggestion. I was a little worried about that. What's the best mild polish IYO for a first timer. The Zaino Z-5 says it will remove swirls, but its seems to me that its more of sealant product that has mild polishing properties?
Old 03-28-2009, 09:18 AM
Cruisin'

looks like a good list! post some before & after pics when u r done
Old 03-28-2009, 09:28 AM
Intermediate

I just realized that the title of the post wasn't very clear. I haven't detailed the car yet. I'm just looking for suggestions/recommendations before I start.

Originally Posted by 03TL_typeS
thats the same stuff I use for wash/cleaners.. I need to get a buffer i need some of the poorboy stuff for my wheels but i need it by sunday...

Looks good though want to come do mine LOL
Thanks for the kind words.

Originally Posted by exceldetail
I would HIGHLY recommend a milder polish if your using 2.5. Matter of fact, if this is your first venture via a PC, Orange pad and 2.5, I would skip it altogether.
2.5 is a pretty strong polish. I gave it a toss after it pitted a Carrera I was polishing, took me forever to get rid of the pitting. And I had used 2.5 many times before, and was very familiar with its characteristics. I never looked back with PB's after that day.
I would seriously skip it or add to it with a milder polish to follow up with.
Thanks for the insight. I thought PB SSR2.5 was going to be mild enough for a beginner. In your opinion what's the best light/mild polish for a first time PC user? Would it be better to use the PBSSR2.5 with a white pad and on low speed? Have you had any experience using Zaino AIO or Z-5 for swirl removal? Thanks
Old 03-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tofufighter

I just realized that the title of the post wasn't very clear. I haven't detailed the car yet. I'm just looking for suggestions/recommendations before I start.

Thanks for the kind words.

Thanks for the insight. I thought PB SSR2.5 was going to be mild enough for a beginner. In your opinion what's the best light/mild polish for a first time PC user? Would it be better to use the PBSSR2.5 with a white pad and on low speed? Have you had any experience using Zaino AIO or Z-5 for swirl removal? Thanks
Im still a Zaino virgin, probably always will be.
If you loyalty is with PB's, try his SSR1. The pad selection isnt what Im concerned about, its the actual polish. I dont think White would alleviate the potential for pitting.
If your up for something new, consider Optimum Polish, probably the most user friendly polish available.