First Detail. 05 tl NBP

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 11:29 PM
from d.c. to tennessee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Detail. 05 tl NBP

no pics yet but will take some of finished product tomorrow.

Well, I decided this was the weekend to finally fully detail the car and seal it up for the winter. It has never been polished so there were many imperfections in the paint. Let me start off by saying that I bought this car used about 6 months ago. Since I have had it I have taken perfect care of the paint but the damage had already been done. There were many swirl marks, some medium scratches and lots of spiderwebbing.

What I used.

ONR and Megs carwash with sheepskin mit
Mothers Claybar with Megs Ultimate Detailer
Black Magic Engine degreaser
Eagle One tire/rim cleaner
Black Magic matte tireshine

Porter Cable
Orange pad with optimum compound
White pad with optimum polish
Red pad with optimum poliseal
Finished it off with 4star UPP

Overall it took me about 8-9 hours without doing the interior or bumpers(will do them tomorrow). I was able to get about 70-80% correction overall.

Now some questions since I'm a newb to this.

1. I still have some scratches left on the car that don't seem too deep that theoretically should come out no problem (barely visible except under the light and cannot feel them with fingernail). Some of these areas I have went over multiple times with the compound and I can't seem to get them out. Should I go with a different compound, maybe a medium cut compound or should I step it up to a yellow pad? Any recommendations on a more aggressive compound?

2. I used poliseal, how long should I leave it on before removing it?

3. I noticed as I used more and more product on the pads it seemed to look like it may have been clogging some of the pores. Do you usually have multiple reserve pads on deck? How many of each color do you carry around?

4. How much product do you use on the pad? I tried different methods such as a single dab, around the outside and making an X. Do you continue to put more product on the pad after every panel section or keep using what is on the pad?

5. Also, regarding the pads, I have heard that you should mist them with a detailer so there is a little moisture. Is this method correct? What happens if you dont do it?

Alright. I think I'm done now. I'll post some pics tomorrow of the final product.

quick edit.... My back, legs and arms hurt and I am in no means out of shape. I can't get enough of it though.

Last edited by scottDOTb; 10-26-2008 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:41 PM
from d.c. to tennessee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alright. edit time ran out.

One more add...

I used the op with the white pad on my oem rainguards and it made them look brand new and they were the worst part on the car. Must have been that soft plastic. So, if you're afraid to try this, don't be. Just don't man-handle them.