Fine Swirl Mark Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012 | 08:57 PM
Cruisin'

Fine Swirl Mark Removal

Hi all,

Been making mistakes washing the car lately due to lack of time, being deployed 7 months, etc. I would like to remove the fine swirl marks I now have...is it better just to get it detailed? Or can I use something like Nu Finish? I will be getting back to my 2-bucket method this spring along with ONR, waffle weave, etc so just need to fix then keep it nice.

2006 TL w/Anthracite
Old 03-01-2012 | 10:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by eriddler
Hi all,

Been making mistakes washing the car lately due to lack of time, being deployed 7 months, etc. I would like to remove the fine swirl marks I now have...is it better just to get it detailed? Or can I use something like Nu Finish? I will be getting back to my 2-bucket method this spring along with ONR, waffle weave, etc so just need to fix then keep it nice.

2006 TL w/Anthracite
Its possible to do it by hand, but you are going to need a lot of elbow grease and a lot of time. If buy a DA polisher is not a real option, i would suggest a proper detail. Will look MUCH better than by hand.
Old 03-01-2012 | 10:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thebest way to remove swirls is with a buffer where are you located? Cause I can cut you a deal if you are in CT.
Old 03-02-2012 | 11:54 PM
Drifting

you will have to take a polisher at it in order to remove the swirls..

the 2 bucket wash method will work at maintaining the paint but won't correct the swirls
Old 03-03-2012 | 09:08 AM
Suzuka Master

If your going to take it to a detailer make sure he is correcting not filling .. The lowest $$ deal may not be the best. If he uses heavy waxes or glazes they will be cone after a few washes.

Make sure he is polishing out the swirling and if he is using a rotary he knows what he is doing so he doesn't fill it with holograms.
Old 03-03-2012 | 11:09 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks everyone for the advice. I am not located in CT, currently in Vegas but reside in ID! There is one detailer nearby (military so live in a small town) that I will have to ask how he 'corrects' swirl marks. If not, it will probably be a DA polisher for me. Usually I have some caution prior to trying new things, but I have used clay bar techniques on the car with no adverse results, etc. How much is a good polisher and what products would work?

Found the 7424 on Amazon, Megs 105/205...once I finished those up, what then? wax then sealant? Read good things about blackfire....

Last edited by Steven Bell; 03-04-2012 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 03-03-2012 | 12:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Found the 7424 on Amazon, Megs 105/205...once I finished those up, what then? wax then sealant? Read good things about blackfire....
Make sure its the 7424XP .. you will also need polishing pads to go with it.

How does it compare to this pricing?

http://www.coastaltool.com/a/port/7424xp_5polisher.htm

Blackfire is the flavour of the week .. I'd rather suggest a couple of tried and true old faithfuls ..

1) Duragloss #105

2) Meguiars #21.

Old 03-03-2012 | 04:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Make sure its the 7424XP .. you will also need polishing pads to go with it.

How does it compare to this pricing?

http://www.coastaltool.com/a/port/7424xp_5polisher.htm

Blackfire is the flavour of the week .. I'd rather suggest a couple of tried and true old faithfuls ..

1) Duragloss #105

2) Meguiars #21.

Nothing wrong with a regular 7424...although it is the older version, suppose to vibrate a bit more, and a little less power.

OP, before purchasing a polisher, i suggest reading on which polisher you think my be best. I was at first going to go with a PCXP, but after reading a whole bunch of threads on autogeek and autopia about the different DA polishers out there, i went with a Griot's Garage 6" DA Polisher. More power and a life time warranty. I highly suggest autogeekonline.net (forum) and autogeek.net (online store).
Old 03-03-2012 | 04:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by bl3ujay07
Nothing wrong with a regular 7424...although it is the older version, suppose to vibrate a bit more, and a little less power.
OP, before purchasing a polisher, i suggest reading on which polisher you think my be best. I was at first going to go with a PCXP, but after reading a whole bunch of threads on autogeek and autopia about the different DA polishers out there, i went with a Griot's Garage 6" DA Polisher. More power and a life time warranty. I highly suggest autogeekonline.net (forum) and autogeek.net (online store).
I own both .... there is a big difference in power ...

The negative side of the Griots 6" is the pad size alone ... pads are too big to go in a lot of places.

Have you owned boththe PCXP & the Griots? Nice to get a true comparrison besides a propaganda one. BTW as far as warranty goes the average user will never wear out an XP .. I still have my first one and it did 100+ cars a year for 3 years.

Last edited by Jesstzn; 03-03-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-03-2012 | 06:28 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the responses...I'll check on if its an XP or not. So after the polishing with 105/205, then Duragloss 105 OR Meguiars 21? After that, any wax?
Old 03-03-2012 | 06:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks for the responses...I'll check on if its an XP or not. So after the polishing with 105/205, then Duragloss 105 OR Meguiars 21? After that, any wax?
No need for a wax ... 105 or 21 do the same thing .
Old 03-03-2012 | 09:10 PM
Instructor

I own both .... there is a big difference in power ...

The negative side of the Griots 6" is the pad size alone ... pads are too big to go in a lot of places.

Have you owned boththe PCXP & the Griots? Nice to get a true comparrison besides a propaganda one. BTW as far as warranty goes the average user will never wear out an XP .. I still have my first one and it did 100+ cars a year for 3 years.
I have used a friend's pcxp. Anything you buy for the porter cable, you can buy for the Griots. The backing plate that does come with the porter cable is the 6" anyways right? Instead of using the griot's 6" backing plate (which i don't seem to like bc it's too stiff), i ordered a 5" LC backing plate with all 5.5" pads.

Im sure the PC and PCXP are excellent machines and im not saying anything bad against them. But, its just nice to know that one has a lifetime warranty and more power. I think the warranty is most beneficial for weekend hobbiest just in case there was a defect after certain amount of use. I would be piss after spending such money and using a defective machine lets say only 6 times. Im just saying, OP should look into all the different DA polishers out there! Meguiar's has cruise control, pcxp has the history, GG6 has most power and lifetime warranty. There is the shurhold which i havent seen much talk about.

More power is always better. After using the GG6 a couple of times, i really wished i went with the FLEX DA polisher. Might just go with the flex rotary instead as an upgrade later on.
Old 03-03-2012 | 09:53 PM
Suzuka Master

The PC I suggested comes with a 5" backing plate ...

The thing is .. I am speaking from hundreds of hours of hands on experience ... not hours of reading ..

In the hands of the inexperienced more power also gets you in deeper trouble faster.
Old 03-03-2012 | 10:10 PM
Instructor

The PC I suggested comes with a 5" backing plate ...

The thing is .. I am speaking from hundreds of hours of hands on experience ... not hours of reading ..

In the hands of the inexperienced more power also gets you in deeper trouble faster.
You're right, reading reviews are over rated. Who cares about what other people really think about products.

Don't want to start a PCXP vs Other DA polisher thread, as hands on experience would triumph research anyways.
Old 03-04-2012 | 10:07 AM
Cruisin'

ive been looking for the same question to be answered, so thanks guys to everybodys help and input for this dude!! its a big help for me as well!!