Few Easy Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,003 Likes on 1,423 Posts
Few Easy Questions...

hey guys, I finally have time to detail the TL and have a bit of my stuff, and before I start, I have a few questions:

1. I bought blue painters tape, should I leave it on more than 2 days or change it every day?
2. I have to get rid of swirls on my car, and have some four star MEDIUM cut bodyshop edition, I plan on using a yellow pad with it, should I follow up with the swirl mark remover on a white pad?
3. What setting should I keep the compounds on to get the best results (I have a PC 7424)
4. What causes halograms? Improper polishing or what?
5. If I get holograms, how do I get rid of them?
6. I have a repainted area on the car, and the clearcoat is a bit rough near the edges, should I wetsand with 2000 grit, then follow up with some FS MMC?
7. Should I experience heavy dusting with the FS MMC and SMR? What causing dusting, like the breakdown of the compound?
8. I have a few chips and scratches on my headlights, should I wetsand them lightly with 2000 grit and then follow up with the FS MMC, or get something like Plastic-X?
9. After fixing all of those imperfections, should I follow up with some sort of OTC polish like Color-X?
10. I plan on buying BRAND NEW MF towels, I have some charliesoap, should I wash the new towels with that before use or can I use them?
11. IF I clean them with charlie soap in the washer, I can let them AIR dry only or should I stick them into the drier?

These are some basic questions, but I want to make sure that I can tackle this without messing anything up. I thank you for any help

csmeance
Old 06-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
hey guys, I finally have time to detail the TL and have a bit of my stuff, and before I start, I have a few questions:

1. I bought blue painters tape, should I leave it on more than 2 days or change it every day? The only place I tape off on a TL is around the grill, sunroof and badges, couple of days should be fine.
2. I have to get rid of swirls on my car, and have some four star MEDIUM cut bodyshop edition, I plan on using a yellow pad with it, should I follow up with the swirl mark remover on a white pad?
3. What setting should I keep the compounds on to get the best results (I have a PC 7424) Polishing is usually done at 4.5 to 5.5
4. What causes halograms? Improper polishing or what? You won't make them with a PC .. rotarys make them.5. If I get holograms, how do I get rid of them?
6. I have a repainted area on the car, and the clearcoat is a bit rough near the edges, should I wetsand with 2000 grit, then follow up with some FS MMC?
7. Should I experience heavy dusting with the FS MMC and SMR? What causing dusting, like the breakdown of the compound?
8. I have a few chips and scratches on my headlights, should I wetsand them lightly with 2000 grit and then follow up with the FS MMC, or get something like Plastic-X?
9. After fixing all of those imperfections, should I follow up with some sort of OTC polish like Color-X? After all that work why finish it with a OTC product .. why not something like Duragloss 105 or Megs #21
10. I plan on buying BRAND NEW MF towels, I have some charliesoap, should I wash the new towels with that before use or can I use them? I pre wash all mine and take off the tags , inspect and fold .
11. IF I clean them with charlie soap in the washer, I can let them AIR dry only or should I stick them into the drier? Air dry dryer makes them static

These are some basic questions, but I want to make sure that I can tackle this without messing anything up. I thank you for any help

csmeance

I can't answer all your questions because I have no experience with some of the products .. but my input is in bold above.

Last edited by Jesstzn; 06-05-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll *add to whats alreay been posted.....
1. I bought blue painters tape, should I leave it on more than 2 days or change it every day? The only place I tape off on a TL is around the grill, sunroof and badges, couple of days should be fine.
* 3M Blue Painters Tape is good for up to two weeks
* FS BSMCC is a serious medium cut compound. Add a Yellow Pad and your in for some fast cutting. You WILL, need to follow up with something lighter, NO DOUBT.
3. What setting should I keep the compounds on to get the best results (I have a PC 7424) Polishing is usually done at 4.5 to 5.5
* Same here, but Im using a UDM. IF I recall, I would put that PC on turbo (6) when I used it. I couldnt get that sucker to go fast enough for me.
4. What causes halograms? Improper polishing or what? You won't make them with a PC .. rotarys make them.
*You actually can get halograms with a PC or UDM (Ive done it firsthand, believe it or not). Its called dry buffing. Theres not sufficient lubricant between pad and surface which causes the pad to mar the surface. Rotarys are by far the leading cause of halograms. That cause is due to improper abrasive breakdown, dry buffing or a combo of both.
5. If I get holograms, how do I get rid of them?
*As an example, BMW's have fairly hard paint. When using an abrasive polish, you have to use a stiff pad. Otherwise the abrasives wont abrade (finish) out. Imagine having a black pad, and a orange or white pad. One in each hand. Take a marble (a large bit of abrasive for this example) and lay it between the pads and depress both pads with your hand applying equal pressure. Which pad will ''absorb" more of the marble? The softer one right? Less resistance right?
Same applies when using polishes on hard paint. They wont finish out properly when using too soft of a pad. OR, you'll sit there forever trying to finish a polish out, next thing you know, youve started the marring process because you have heated the lubricants up enough they have begun to evaporate. Make sure you take your time and figure out pad and product combinatons/characteristics.
Use a firm pad, with a light abrasive on hard paint, softer paint will allow for softer pads.......
*That you will need to experiment with. 2000 may or may not be enough, but the FS BS MCC will help get you out of the woods when wetsanding. Go one step further even with a lighter polish.
* I wouldnt say "heavy" at all. Some dusting may be inherent with the MCC, but you shouldnt get much at all with the LCC or SMR. Dusting is the final product of an abrasive which has broken down. Although the abrasives used in polishes are very very very small to begin with, some dusting i normal. A high pressure blast with air is what I do. Also low humidity will help contribute to dusting......
*Feel safe with 2000 GP, then hit it with LCC or SMR. MMC will leave you a little cloudy.
9. After fixing all of those imperfections, should I follow up with some sort of OTC polish like Color-X? After all that work why finish it with a OTC product .. why not something like Duragloss 105 or Megs #21
*Agreed
10. I plan on buying BRAND NEW MF towels, I have some charliesoap, should I wash the new towels with that before use or can I use them? I pre wash all mine and take off the tags , inspect and fold .
*Agreed (When im not in a pinch) Ive used them right of the shelf with no issue also.
11. IF I clean them with charlie soap in the washer, I can let them AIR dry only or should I stick them into the drier? Air dry dryer makes them static
*Air dry is fine, or remove while still slightly damp.