Exceldetail...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007 | 01:41 PM
10th Gear

Exceldetail...

...I'm going to purchase some items from your site; been looking over a number of threads here (long time browser, only a few post) and see how many on here trust your expertise on the products and detailing. I'm looking at purchasing 4 Star's UPP and UPPS and was wondering if the new Opti (wipe on--no off) product would be beneficial at all? I've primarily been using NXT for the past couple of years, not bad but even with the touch-up spray after every wash, seems to loose the look I use to get with Mother's <---- which I've used since way.y.y.y back until NXT. Of course, that is when I was much younger and actually waxed the vehicles every weekend. Not anymore! So... after reading up on a number of threads here and there, I feel that 4 Star will work for me but I still wondered about the Opti clear coat that just came out was even worth it. Also... does spraying the 4 Star Ulti "Gloss" enhancer between coats of UPP help?

Thanks for the assistance in advance
Old 06-10-2007 | 03:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by warthogUSAF
...I'm going to purchase some items from your site; been looking over a number of threads here (long time browser, only a few post) and see how many on here trust your expertise on the products and detailing. I'm looking at purchasing 4 Star's UPP and UPPS and was wondering if the new Opti (wipe on--no off) product would be beneficial at all? I've primarily been using NXT for the past couple of years, not bad but even with the touch-up spray after every wash, seems to loose the look I use to get with Mother's <---- which I've used since way.y.y.y back until NXT. Of course, that is when I was much younger and actually waxed the vehicles every weekend. Not anymore! So... after reading up on a number of threads here and there, I feel that 4 Star will work for me but I still wondered about the Opti clear coat that just came out was even worth it. Also... does spraying the 4 Star Ulti "Gloss" enhancer between coats of UPP help?

Thanks for the assistance in advance
Wow, thats a loaded question. Either of those products, OS or UPP/UPPS will be light years ahead of Mothers or NXT. As for one over the other? Ease of application goes to OS, only because you dont have to remove it, but I still feel its imperative to run over the entire surface with a MF after you have applied it. UPP is about as easy as it gets, next to doing nothing. I mean its like spreading mayonnaise. Its so thin and slick, its really incredible. And removal is completely effortless. And its one swipe, no dust and its gone. Slickness goes to UPP though. Although I have not attempted additional layers of OS.
Something I do wish to try, and there may be some members here who will beat me to it, is apply a coat of OS, then one layer of UPP atop it. Im not sure you can do it vice versa, as UPP does contain some oils. I would prefer UPP's slickness on top anyway. And whatever OS M A Y lack, UPP will provide. If I had to pick one? Probably UPP/UPPS. Another alternative, OS, then UPPS. Very similiar to UPP without the oils though, its more of a wipe on, walk away product as well. UPPS will literally dissapear before your eyes after application. I like to spray a little on a MF, and spray lightly on the surfacem wipe in, buff off. But sometime (very often actually) it will evaporate just like OS does.
Old 06-10-2007 | 04:41 PM
10th Gear

Thanks Excel... I thought you might be able to apply over the UPP thinking it was a clear coat or "shell" I guess. Looks like I'm going with the UPP and UPPS. Oh hell... probably the gloss enhancer too. I always finish off the car wash with a spray detailer to "polish off" and refresh the look.

Thanks again. I'll be lurking around to see what else people are trying.
Old 06-10-2007 | 05:23 PM
Just dial 1911

+1 for UPP here. I've been using it since the beginning of the year and everything Patrick says is right on. I would say the only minuscule drawback is that since its a polymer, it needs some time to bond with the paint (15 mins on the directions I think it was). But still, the longevity, ease of application and ease (understatement) of removal, even in direct sunlight, is very impressive.
Old 06-10-2007 | 06:07 PM
10th Gear

Thanks for reminding me on the time joe... from what I've read people seem to get the best results being patient with it.
Old 06-11-2007 | 09:14 AM
Safety Car

Chalk up another vote for UPP and UPPS. It's been part of my arsenal for over the past two and half years. I really can't think of anything else to say about it than what's already been said. As far as OS goes, haven't tried it as of yet so you can nix the comparo. But I like the fact it's a wipe on/walk away product which basically means no residual dusting. , I would clay & polish (if you haven't done so) before applying UPP to really get the full benefit of the product.
Old 06-13-2007 | 07:48 PM
10th Gear

Excel... finally got to order my stuff from you. Looking forward to putting this stuff to use, going to give the "other" stuff to my brother-n-law! =)

Thanks guys for the replies and information.
Old 06-13-2007 | 08:58 PM
I spend 2 much time here

how about throwing Four Star Ultimate Swirl Mark Remover into the equation? at what stage would you use that? before or after the UPP?
Old 06-14-2007 | 07:21 AM
Bagel Bomber

^^^ before.
Old 06-14-2007 | 08:00 AM
Former Sponsor

All your paint polish (SMR) comes before protection..............
Old 06-14-2007 | 08:56 AM
I spend 2 much time here

excel any particular wax products you reccomend for black paint specifically?
Old 06-14-2007 | 09:33 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jiggaman
excel any particular wax products you reccomend for black paint specifically?
I'm quite positive he'll say FS UPP first and Optimum OptiSeal 2nd.
Old 06-14-2007 | 12:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
I'm quite positive he'll say FS UPP first and Optimum OptiSeal 2nd.
Geez am I that easy to read Haw?
Add Optimum Spray Wax as 3rd runner up.
I will have to say the FS UPP is tops for me though.
Old 06-14-2007 | 04:02 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Not even a single vote for Natty's Blue as an LSP topper? Wow. He even said his car was black.
Old 06-14-2007 | 04:05 PM
I spend 2 much time here

thanks guys, my parking spot for where i am going to be living shortly has trees that overhang.

any suggestions for that?
Old 06-14-2007 | 04:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Stog, Im just not a big Nuba fan my friend.............I even thought S100 was difficult....
Old 06-14-2007 | 05:40 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Stog, Im just not a big Nuba fan my friend.............I even thought S100 was difficult....

I know, the pendulum has swung to the polymer side, but the Natty's on a black car is Soooo nice. Plus, does UPP smell like bubblegum????
Old 06-14-2007 | 09:59 PM
Former Sponsor

UPP has a slight chemical aroma, but nothing that lasts at all.....Definetly not bubble gum..
Old 06-15-2007 | 11:10 AM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by jiggaman
thanks guys, my parking spot for where i am going to be living shortly has trees that overhang. any suggestions for that?
1. build a car port.

2. cut them down/back.

3. car cover.

Old 06-15-2007 | 11:53 AM
Team Owner

Jigga,
Prep your surface properly (wash, clay, polish) then use the best polymer protection you can find. I think OptiSeal topped with 4*UPP (as discussed by Patrick above) certainly qualifies. Then wash often and QD.