Easiest products for a newbie to use?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 10:49 PM
Chris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easiest products for a newbie to use?

Alright, I have a TSX Charcoal Gray / Black interior 06 purchased 3 weeks ago.

I'm looking to get into detailing but I've heard some products are "easier" to use than others. I am not even going to try and venture into the PC business without learning how to wash and wax my car properly....

I've read through some autopia info and there's millions of people on those forums with various opinions on what's the best. It's impossible to figure this stuff out and I'm overwhelmed.

I'd like some "expert" opinions from you Acura specific experts on what works the best on Acuras based on what you have tried and been successful with. Again, I'm looking for "easy to use" as I am a newbie and I am still learning.

I'd like to build a package that every product is easily compatible with everything and such.

For the Exterior: I was thinking about just buying a bunch of Zaino products since it just feels like an easier startup purchase than trying to buy a wash from one company and a wax from another....this is where I need the most help with recommendations. I've never clayed a car before either so I would need a clay that I wouldn't ruin my car with.

Tire Cleaning: No idea.

Glass Cleaner: Windex?

For the Interior:

Leather Care:
1) Cleaning - Why woolite? How does woolite clean leather? I don't understand this? I don't want my car smellin like woolite. What could I use to clean my leather so it maintains the leather/fresh car smell?

What is a light cleaning solution?
What is a heavy cleaning chemical against a tough grease stain?

2) Conditioner - No idea what to use? Front runner seems to be Z-10

3) Protectant - 303 easily. I've heard Lexol leaves your leather a bit sticky.

Not sure what to use on my dash board to clean and protect it? Or is there anything I need to use besides soap and water?

Last but not least, I only have about 1 hr to dedicate to cleaning my car each week. Please remember that I need quick and easy solutions for a fast wash, dry, and interior clean.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:40 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I believe the Zymol leather cleaner gives your car that leather smell.
Old 12-25-2006, 04:03 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For windows I highly recommend Invisible Glass. You can get this almost anywhere, including Walmart and Target.

Zaino is a pretty involved process, especially the initial application. If you're not willing to put in the time, then I'd go with another product.
Old 12-25-2006, 04:16 PM
Chris

What do i go with if I don't wash my car with zaino?

I need to know steps as well.

1. Wash with ( )
2. Dry with "The absorber"?
3. Wax with?
4. Sealant?

5. Tire and rim wash with ()
6. Tire and rim protect with ()
7. Gloss?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 12-25-2006, 08:22 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
1. Wash with Meguires auto soap and a QUALITY chenille/lambswool wash mit. Use two buckets, one full of clear water and one with soapy water. Use the soapy water on the car, then rinse the mit in the clear bucket, repeat.

2. Dry with a waffle weave MF towel. Get this online at the same time you get your wash mit.

3. Wax with whatever you want. Try Megs NXT Paste wax, as it is super easy to use, fills minor imperfections in paint, and can be bought at Walmart/Target, etc...

4. If you are gonna go sealant, it goes on before the wax, and definitely takes you outside of the one hour job.

5. Tire and rims, whatever works for you. Some people like shiny tires, some like less gloss. Again, Megs makes a decent gel (purple) and it smells like grapes!

6. I use Klasse AIO on my rims, as it makes cleaning them super easy. If you are going to use AIO on your rims, I would also suggest using on your paint, prior to using Klasse SG as a sealant in #4, but I digress.

7. Gloss? Put down the bong and step away slowly... For the car? For the tires? For you girlfriend's nails? What are you talking about?
Old 12-25-2006, 08:28 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Forgot the interior for you:

1. Lexol only leaves leather sticky if the user fails to WIPE IT OFF after it has been applied. Use it right, daniel-son. Apply with a MF towel, let sit on the leather while you apply it to the next seat, then go back and with a damp MF towel, wipe the remaining Lexol off. No sticky mess (your personal habits are your own...).

2. 303. Use it everywhere except clear Plexiglas. Some people have issues with rainbow effects, or distortion on the gauge console. I alternate using Lexol and 303 on the leather. Same as the Lexol, put it on, wait a few, remove excess (although I use a dry MF for the 303 removal).

3. Woolite can be used diluted to clean areas of the floor carpet that cannot be removed for cleaning. It does not adequately remove blood or DNA trace evidence, though...

Go forth and detail. And for GOD'S SAKE, take some pics to show us what you have done!!
Old 12-25-2006, 08:30 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

And, I'm spent.....
Old 12-25-2006, 09:18 PM
Chris

Wow, thanks for your advice Stogie! Your the man.....some quick followup questions. What do you recommend for a Sealant and is it really needed? What does it do that a wax doesn't?

Also, where is the cheapest place you've found to buy all this online?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 12-25-2006, 09:31 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

I am by no means the expert here. Search for posts by Patrick (Excel Detail) or TOGWT for absolutes.

Sealants provide much greater durability than a carnuba wax, but at the expense of visual effect. Many sealants give a reflective look, like a mirror, while a carnuba over properly prepped p[paint gives the "wet" look.

I use both.

(assuming no defects to be repaired with my new PC!)
Wash
Clay
Klasse AIO (Paint cleaner with limited protection)
Klasse SG (Sealant, with great protection/durability, albeit a bit hard to work with)
Top with a carnuba (Winter=Natty's Blue, Summer=Collinite 845IW)

Sealant vs. Carnuba is more a philosophical debate, so I just use both!
Old 12-25-2006, 09:36 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

OK, some detail sites: (saved the best one for last in the list)

http://www.detailcity.com/

http://autopia.org/forum/index.php? - Not a retailer, but read up on all the good stuff, techniques, products, pictures...

http://www.pakshak.com/

http://www.properautocare.com/

http://www.autogeek.net/

http://www.obsessivedetail.com/about.html

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/

http://store.premiumautocare.net/shopbybrand.html

http://exceldetail.com/
This site is owned by Patrick, who is a regular in these forums. VERY good online retailer, and awesome customer support. He will probably post in this thread or another if you make one with more questions.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:20 AM
Chris

ok, thanks again. Doing some more research it looks like I may do the following, feel free to critique. Remember I'm as newbie as newbie can get and my car is 3 weeks new charcoal gray with black interior.

To Summarize

Phase 1: Car WASH
- 2 buckets
- soap: Megs NXT Generation Car Wash
- Sheepskin mitt
- Waffle Weave Drying Towel(s)

Phase 2: Rim + Tire Wash
- Wheel Brush
- Meguiars Gold Class All Wheel Cleaner followed by 303 protectant
- Meguiars NXT Tire Cleaner followed by 303 protectant

Phase 3: Clay
- 3 oz. bar of Sonus SFX Ultra-fine Detailing Clay
- 16 oz. bottle of Sonus Glyde Clay Lubricant
-Notes: Heard this was the easiest clay to use as a newbie cause it's so fine.

Phase 4: Polishing and waxing (still need help here)
- Some kind of wax + polish applicator
- MF towels
- Leaning towards a Polish and Wax kit from Jeffs Werkstatt. Thoughts? Which Primer would I get and which Wax?

Interior
- Lexol + 303 seems to be the choice of everyone.

How is my list looking? How should I tweek it? Still need help on wax polish combo.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:25 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Personally, I do the wheels and tires first,since water spots are less likely to show on them then on the car, but if it works, DO IT! I have bever used 303 on the wheels (metal) or the tires, as there are many great products available for these areas at Target/Pep Boys/etc... Not sure the 303 will give you the protection/shine you want on the wheels or the tires. Try something like the Megs gel and some rim cleaner.

With the clay, I have only used the Mother's kit, so I don't know if one is easier than another, but the Mother's clay seemed pretty easy to use. CUT THE BAR IN HALF!! only use half at a time. This way, if you drop it and need to throw it out (you NEED to throw it out), you don't have to run to the store for another.

Don't skimp on the towels. Seriously. I mean it. For real. Napa/Autozone/Pep Boys/Walmart/Costco do not carry the quality you want. Really. Honestly. No joke.

Oh, and get a Porter Cable! If you can wash and clay, you can use a PC to polish.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:19 PM
Chris

Where's the best place to get quality towels? Link please?

Also, porter cable, what pad do I use as a newb?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 12-26-2006, 02:11 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Any of the above mentioned sites sell quality MF towels. Many use different ones, I prefer theone from PakShak, but it is kind of like "what shaving cream do you use". Everyone likes their own kind, but they all generally work. The only exception would be the very short nap length towels found at Costco, Walmart, etc... I only use these for inside the door jambs, fuel filler door, trunk jamb, etc...

Do a search for Pads in this forum (wash and wax) and you will see a few good discussions about new users and p-ads, or just talk to Patrick at Excel and see if he can put a package together for you with the PC and some pads and polish.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:57 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by csj0952
Where's the best place to get quality towels? Link please?

Also, porter cable, what pad do I use as a newb?

Thanks,
Chris
You won't go wrong with any of the towels many of the online sites carry. Refer to this thread for Online Detailing Sites.

Pads - You didn't mention the condition of your paint or what you're trying to accomplish. That said I'm assuming you would possibly have very light swirls and light scratches. You would also want more reflectivity and shine. I would suggest a light polishing pad and a finishing pad. If you need something a little more aggressive, then a light cut pad will suffice. https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/pad-package-349700/ and post #4 from this thread should give you a little insight about pads.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:43 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
You want ease of use? The Klasse AIO is easily the leader in this category in terms of a polish - its a cleaner and sealant - one product which replaces 2 product-steps in most other processes. The Klasse SG is what I follow up with, but it is very difficult to use, and I would recommend getting a pc orbital buffer if you do. The easiest and best wax I've found is the Black Magic carnuba wax which was recently rated the top consumer wax in consumer reports. I layer the black magic on top of my klasse SG and reapply BM every other washing. This way I get the durability and protection of the polymer + the wet look of the carnuba.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:21 PM
Chris

Hawhyen51, thanks for your input. I just bought the car 3 weeks ago so I'm assuming minor imperfections exist. If that is the case, what do you recommend for pads.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:23 PM
Chris

Waiting for patrick to chime in so he can hook me up...Patrick, when should I call you...
Old 12-26-2006, 05:25 PM
Chris

P.S. Not having a merry christmas. Someone rear ended my car today and now I have 2 minor scratches in the bumper and my muffler is bent. Good news is that it wasn't my fault. I was stopped at a red light.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:42 PM
Safety Car

Hawhyen51, thanks for your input. I just bought the car 3 weeks ago so I'm assuming minor imperfections exist. If that is the case, what do you recommend for pads.
Erasure Pads from Exceldetail. He has a Final Polishing Kit which includes the white (Super Light Cut), black (Light Polishing/Cleaning) and blue (final polishing) pads. If the imperfections are very light, you can use the black pad to apply a cleaner/light polish/cleanser (AIO, DG 101, PB Pro Polish, Optimum Polish). Best bet to get hold of Patrick is to send him a PM.

To answer your question about Werkstatt and to my understanding - Prime or Prime Strong, Jett and Gloss. From what I've read on other forums, these are the same folks who manufacture Klasse'. In the words of Mike Phillips "Find something you like and keep using it!" or something like that.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Waiting for patrick to chime in so he can hook me up...Patrick, when should I call you...
P.S. Not having a merry christmas. Someone rear ended my car today and now I have 2 minor scratches in the bumper and my muffler is bent. Good news is that it wasn't my fault. I was stopped at a red light
Geeeeeeez, nice way to start off Christmas....
I can set you up with everything, I even have a PC i could throw in !
Take a look at the following kits and see if one of them would be sufficient for you......Cutting Kit (Probably more then you need), Polishing Kit,
a good "middle of the ground kit", and the final polishing kit, for cars who just need a little touching up.....
Some products to consider:
Optimum PoliSeal (for very light swirls)
Four Star Light Cut Compound, Duragloss Pink Buffing Gel, Optimum Polish (Light swirls)
And if you have anything other then "light" we need to talk........
Old 12-28-2006, 01:21 PM
Chris

Thanks for the advice on the scratches but the lady's insurance is paying for the repairs to my car. I have it in a collision shop right now that is going to sand out the cuts and re-paint and coat it. They offer a lifetime guarantee so I'm hoping it will look nice. The scratches are very minor thou and it's about 500 bucks worth of work that her insurance is picking up.

So basically, I just need some washing, claying, polishing, waxing chemicals and tools.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 12-28-2006, 02:45 PM
Safety Car

So basically, I just need some washing, claying, polishing, waxing chemicals and tools.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris, you can check out this thread to see what products are preferred/used by a few of us.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:53 PM
2nd Gear

i found meguiars products are the easiest too use and they smell good too
Old 12-29-2006, 01:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Tuna, Megs is just the tip of the iceberg.......
Old 12-29-2006, 01:58 PM
Safety Car

Hey, Welcome aboard .... lots of great info here and very knowledgeable & experienced folks as well.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:55 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Using Optimum Poli-Seal and white lake county (LC) polishing pad, this one-step product will make a noticeable improvement on even brand new paint as it will deepen the shine and jetting (wet-look gloss) durability approx. 3-4 months, maintain the shine with Optimum Spray Wax- http://superiorcarcare.net/oppo.html

Knowledge - [We know a subject] [We know where to find information on it] the most highly valued; [knowledge that is both held and shared]
Old 12-30-2006, 12:35 PM
Chris

This is what i purchased from patrick. He was very helpful and patient over the phone.

I just need some wheel brushes and some Megs car wash that I will pick up from Target or autozone or something local around here.

12 for 10 Yellow Supreme deal (Split 50/50) $ 24.90
303 Protectant (16oz)$ 14.89
Excel Monterey Waffle Weave Drying Towel$ 10.49
Excel 4'' Yellow Foam Applicators $ 1.99
Duragloss 441 Leather Shampoo (8oz) $ 5.99
Duragloss 221 Leather Conditioner (8oz) $ 7.99
Duragloss 111 Clear Coat Polish 8oz $ 8.99
Duragloss 105 TPP (Total Performance Polish) 16oz $ 9.99
Sonus SFX Ultra-Fine Detailing Clay (Refill 3oz) $ 10.99
Four Star Ultimate Tire Protectant Gel $ 12.89

I do not have a PC yet and I figured I'd learn how to wash and clay my car first with the basics then go full blown into the advanced stuff...
Old 12-31-2006, 10:59 AM
2nd Gear

thank you browsed forum for a few months good info