Drying - Waffleweave or Chamois?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007 | 05:07 PM
Intermediate

Drying - Waffleweave or Chamois?

I've always used a Chamois cloth, but haven't seen it mentioned a whole lot on here
Old 10-31-2007 | 06:33 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SteveO2005TSX
I've always used a Chamois cloth, but haven't seen it mentioned a whole lot on here
This an excerpt from a posting by TOGWT . . . I don't know if answers your question. WW are far more absorbent and inexpensive compared to chamois.
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Chamois Leather:
Genuine chamois leather is a unique and natural product, which is extremely soft, flexible, and absorbent
Typically chamois leather is used to dry off surfaces after washing; this is due to the absorbency and softness of the leather, the particles are held within the hollow fibre of the leather, eliminating abrasion.

The chamois needs to be damp, but not wet to work, it is made by splitting the skin into two pieces; the selected sheepskins are 100% cod oil tanned to give the luxurious, golden, soft finish that can absorb six times its weight of water.

A Microfiber chamois (woven in a very similar texture) is a machine washable alternative that you don't have to soak before use and it releases dirt, brake dust and stains much easier that natural chamois (Groit's Microfiber Synthetic Chamois) doesn't dry hard, is very absorbent, easier to wring out and it will not `shed' and lasts longer and is less expensive than its natural counterpart.

The inherent problem of any flat weave drying towel; is that it breaks the surface tension to ‘lift’ the water from the surface along with any protective wax.

Modem synthetic materials have gained ground and the use of chamois is being replaced by Microfiber waffle weave technology as they hold more water (approx. 5 times more water, therefore require wringing out less often) and will not `pull' wax from a paint surface as the ‘dimpled ‘pattern of the towel allows air pockets that do not allow ‘lift’ like a flat towel surface.
Old 10-31-2007 | 06:34 PM
FTW

waffleweave, safes time imo.
Old 10-31-2007 | 06:51 PM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

I used to use "The Absorber" two cars back and that scratched the crap out of that car, so I only used it for glass from then on.
Then I switched to a natural chamois which worked fine, but got some trippy multicolored fungus growing on it so I tossed it.
Then I switched to a dimpled synthetic one from Griot's garage which worked great! Until I left it in the car one time after a wash in the winter and after that, it got brittle and broke apart.
Now I use the waffleweave MF towel they (Griot's) sells and it's pretty good. Not anywhere near as absorbent, but it's much lower maintenance. I've been using it for about three years now. Just be sure to wash it by itself, without too much soap, and never use fabric softener, and you'll be ok.
Old 10-31-2007 | 09:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Waffle Weave towel is the way to go .. its all I use to dry now .. and its the safest.
Old 11-01-2007 | 12:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Waffle Weaves..........
Old 11-01-2007 | 02:04 AM
Illist

using nothing but waffle weave on my car.