door panel trim replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 08:11 PM
2001 San Marino Red CL-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
door panel trim replacement

I could use some help from anyone who has replaced or looked into replacing (or covering) the interior trim pieces on their CL-S.

I've got SM RED with Parchment (tan?) interior. I just bought my '01 baby in January and love everything about the car, except for TWO things. 1 being what I now refer to as the "Sharon Stone Paint "(gorgeous yet mind-blowingly shallow) and 2 being the visually VOMIT INDUCING (IMO) faux-wood accent pieces breaking up all the sleek interior lines and canabalizing the two tone color contrast. This car is a world-class performance/luxury coupe with tacked on interior accents that were, no doubt, cut from wood paneling salvaged off of retired 1970 Domestic-built station wagons.

I don't mean to insult anyone's tastes (believe me, that would be the pot calling the kettle black), but that fake-tree laminate just kills me. I checked with Acura and there's no way to replace just the accents on the doors (you need to buy the whole damn door, which wouldn't do you any good because then you would have spent $700 buying stock doors to replace your stock doors). I can replace the dash trim with the far less offensive (and far more preferable) aluminium (fake?) trim...but that's $400 to buy a dash accent that wouldn't match my doors.

I can't find any kits online that just cover those stock CL accents. Everything I've seen includes stickers I don't need (vent trim) but neglects the door trim, which I DO need. The only thing I cant <edit> think to do is paint these sucker body color but I'm worried that will look cheap and/or scratch too easy. I like aluminium but don't know if it matches the parchement.

...Did I mention how the other day I glanced to admire my car and the air movement created from my head turning (6 feet away) scratched my door panel. Then, yesterday, a cat breathed on my fender which vaporized the paint?
Old 04-18-2004, 08:54 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Welcome to the board.

Here's a thread where this question came up before........

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...highlight=trim
Old 04-19-2004, 09:29 AM
MEATWAD

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...hreadid=137090
Old 04-19-2004, 03:18 PM
2001 San Marino Red CL-S

Awesome. Thanks guys. I looked for a related thread on the site before posting, but couldn't find any. Guess I didn't look hard enough.

CLoe- Your interior looks fantastic! I can only hope mine comes out even close. I don't know what color vinyl to use with the parchment interior, I like aluminium but don't know how it will look.

Do either of you know where on the board I can look for instructions on removing the accent pieces from the center console? It looks like a real pain in the ass.

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:37 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Originally posted by kilowatt

Do either of you know where on the board I can look for instructions on removing the accent pieces from the center console? It looks like a real pain in the ass.

Just pull up. It pops right off.
Old 04-19-2004, 05:35 PM
MEATWAD

you can try to photoshop different colors to see which would go best with your interior.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:43 PM
2001 San Marino Red CL-S

Damn. They do pull right off, I thought I was going to have to dismantle the entire center console.

I bought a roll of vinyl at the hobby shop. I got Monokote Dark Red, which matches the San Marino Red almost exactly. I'm going to try to do some work tonight. I'll post pix when it's done (hopefully this weekend), but it sounds like it takes a while to make it perfect.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Good luck kilowatt. I bought a roll of vinyl and gave up trying to do the center console pieces on my TL. The piece curves too much to get the vinyl to lay flat without any bubbles or creases.

I pianted mine SSM.