Door Dings Galor =[

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Door Dings Galor =[

We had a heat wave in Chicago today so i decided to wash my RL. As i was drying it, i started to notice all of the door dings and scratches people have given my car. It is horrifying. Most of them look like surface scuffs though. Does anyone know how to get these out? I would be willing to do almost anything. Thanks
Old 02-24-2008, 10:35 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
door ding...paintless dent repair.

surface scratches...ultimate detailing machine.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:24 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
If you are serious about keeping your paint looking perfect you must find a paintless dent repair guy. They work miracles and give you piece of mind that your dings are only temporary with a phone call.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Thank you for the replies. Now the ultimate detailer....do i need to use a special polish or wax. Also how should i do this. I am clueless. I normally just wax my car by hand, but I dont think ill be able to get all of the scuffs out. Thank you!
Old 02-25-2008, 02:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll probably need an abrasive polish to remove scuffs, light scratches and swirls. I would also recommend an orange pad for a little more cut than the white and you can purchase pad kits for your particular needs. One more thing, I would suggest using a claybar before polishing to remove bonded contaminants from your paint. That will also provide a smooth as glass surface. Here's a breakdown of polishes by their aggressiveness courtesy of Exceldetail.
Originally Posted by exceldetail
Each stage is dependant upon your cars particular needs. I could referee like some of the larger online stores and tell you this is what you have to have, but I dont work that way. I prefer a little more personal attention with personal directives. But in the interim, what I can do is provide you a list of abrasive (light to heavy) polishes, as well as light to heavy polishing pads.
Polishes in the light category would include:
Optimum Polish
Four Star Ult. Swirl Mark Remover
Einszett Metallic Polish (Which has slight fillers and Poly/Nuba protection also)
Einszett Final Finish
One Grand Omega Glaze (A Glaze with light abrasives)
Poorbpys World SSR1
Duragloss 652 Buffing & Polishing Cleaner
Medium Category
Four Star Body Shop Light Cut Compound
Optimum Compound
Einszett Paint Polish (Which has slight fillers and Poly/Nuba protection also)
Einszett Hi Gloss Polish
Poorboys World SSR 2.5
Medium + Category
Optimum Hyper Compound
Einszett Extra Paint Cleaner
Einszett Intensive Paste
Four Star Body Shop Med. Cut Compound

Pads- Aggressive to least aggressive
6" Wool/Foam, new soon at Exceldetail.com
Yellow Erasure cutting pad
Orange Versatile cutting/polishing/finishing
White Light polishing
Black, for cleaner/protectants
Red for sealants

As you can see there are potentially many combinations to the above products. I highly recommend you start with white pads and light polishing products like Optimum Polish, Four Star Ult Swirl Mark Remover or Einszett Metallic Polish. Guage your results, then hit it again. Sometimes its better to do it twice with the same product then to jump ahead and go with something more aggressive. One step at a time. Your first step is to reveal (to those with little or no experience) what further work needs to be done. Very rarely will you hit the nail right on the head at onset. You may either need additional abrasiveness or increased cut with your pad. Any time you use an abrasive polish, your removing/leveling your clear coat. But always guage your results, then ask where you want to go from there. And as always, theres in incredible wealth of experience here (and growing) willing to help out.