Do you clean and reuse your pads?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Do you clean and reuse your pads?

Just wanna see what ya'll are doing with your pads.

I just toss them after I use them once, but wanna see what everyone else is doing with them.

And also, do you guys wash your microfibers once before using them? I notice there is some lint that is released thats why I am thinking about starting to wash them before using them.

Input greatly appreciated.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:03 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At $10 a pop (and I use 3 different ones every time I do it), I wash them.
I bought the cleaning powder and soak them for a day or so then rinse them out. It's not perfect in terms of getting all the product out, but I usually use the same product with the pad, so it's not that big a deal.

I usually wash the microfiber towels after I use them. I then air dry it for a day so they're ready to use next time.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You toss your pads? I have a couple of pads that are over two years old and still using them. I'll either store it in a ziplock or wash them depending if gotta use 'em again. For washing, I'll agitate them in a solution of Dawn with warm water, rinse couple of times and let them air dry. Store in a ziplock bag. If I have a lot of MF towels that need washing, I wash them together, haven't had any problems doing it that way.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I throw em in the washer................SSssshhhhhhhhh !
Old 02-19-2008, 08:42 AM
Racer

Hey Fulani, I'll take your old pads! ha..ha..! Keep them and I'll pay for the shipping!

Like stated earlier at almost $10ea I can't imagine throwing them away after just one use unless they started tearing or something? I have had a couple yellow CCS pads start to tear up after one use but that was because it got chewed up on a license plate bracket or something. Otherwise I wash them with a Pad cleaner I bought on Autogeek. You can use the same cleaner on your microfiber too. I can't think of the name off hand right now though. Its an orange colored powdery subs. I let them soak for awhile then just hose them off and let dry face down. Works pretty good. I also usually spray some XMT pad cleaner and that works well also then just hose down or rinse under a faucet and let dry.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:59 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
I'll either store it in a ziplock or wash them depending if gotta use 'em again.
How long can you keep it in a ziplock before using it again?
Old 02-19-2008, 11:50 AM
Just dial 1911

Too funny...

Dude, you can wash these things multiple times before you toss them. In fact, their the only thing in my detailing arsenal that I actually use dawn with lol. I soak the pad with hot water, squirt some dawn on it, work it in and rinse it out. Then I take my PC, slap the pad on and let it run for about 10 seconds on 3. The whole process takes about 2 mins per pad.

I can only think of one time I had to throw out a pad. I did a white Honda Civic that had never been touched and by the time I was done, my orange pad was saturated with white paint (Single stage paint). Just wasnt worth the time to clean again...
Old 02-19-2008, 12:42 PM
Drifting

Alright so now, I feel like an idiot, cuz I don't clean the pads. Way I see it.

3 Pads - $30
Polish - $05 (considering I never use an entire bottle)
Sealant - $05 (again considering I never use an entire bottle)
Knowing that I did it myself and STILL saved money - Priceless

But I guess I will start throwing the pads in the washer as Excel said.... I tried the whole washing them by hand, but I thought it wasnt clean enough....
Old 02-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Just dial 1911

I think Excel was kidding about throwing them in the washer. Its pretty rough on the pads, especially if they have a non permanent backing. I did this once and the backing started to peel off. Plus, do you really want to wash all that polish in the same place you wash your clothes??
Old 02-19-2008, 01:17 PM
Drifting

WELL thennnnn..... EXCEL are you kidding or being serious?!
Old 02-19-2008, 01:17 PM
Instructor

I doubt you'll get all the polish out of the pads. I usually keep using the same product with the pads so if it's not completely clean, it doesn't really matter. It's not like they'll mix with other product. I've had my pads soak for like 3 or 4 days and the backing hasn't started to seperate so I think soaking for a few days is OK. I've never put them in the wash, and like joerockt said, I'm not sure I'd want my clothes covered in polish (or smelling like polish).

Probably the best bet - soak it in Dawn (or pad cleaner) for a few hours, squeeze out as much crap as you can from the pad, rinse, and throw it in a ziploc bag. The ziploc bag should stop it from drying up for the most part.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:25 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by syee99
I doubt you'll get all the polish out of the pads. I usually keep using the same product with the pads so if it's not completely clean, it doesn't really matter. It's not like they'll mix with other product. I've had my pads soak for like 3 or 4 days and the backing hasn't started to seperate so I think soaking for a few days is OK. I've never put them in the wash, and like joerockt said, I'm not sure I'd want my clothes covered in polish (or smelling like polish).

Probably the best bet - soak it in Dawn (or pad cleaner) for a few hours, squeeze out as much crap as you can from the pad, rinse, and throw it in a ziploc bag. The ziploc bag should stop it from drying up for the most part.
^^^ Putting it in a ziplock just traps the moisture and will eventually cause mold to form. Gotta let them dry completely before storing them. Spin them on the PC and you're more then half way there.

And yea, your not going to get it all out, but you'll get most of it. What you want to avoid is the polish drying up in the pad and turning it into a dust bomb.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:46 PM
Instructor

haha...I should go check on my pads then

I used to just leave them sitting out till they dried after washing them, but I thought I'd try the ziploc route last time. Probably covered in mold now.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Just dial 1911

haha...I should go check on my pads then

I used to just leave them sitting out till they dried after washing them, but I thought I'd try the ziploc route last time. Probably covered in mold now.
I've done it before.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:28 PM
Pro

Man, too bad I didn't see this before someone else said it. As soon as I read that you toss them out, I was ready to jump on that and tell you that I'd send you money to ship them to me, heck I'd even ship the boxes and ziplock bags, hahaha.

In all seriousness though, most people already summed it up, but here's what I do. Mix a half packet of "Snappy Cleaner" in a 1 Gallon bucket of warm to hot water. Drop them in as I go along with the detail. By the time I'm done, I agitate them in the bucket for a while, then go inside and rinse them in the sink with dish soap. This has seemed to work very well for me and I can't get any product out of them, but I usually use the same product the next time around on those pads.

* Oh yeah, if you're just tossing them now, you might as well try the washer method for the heck of it and see what happens. Pat sells some stuff for your washer (I forget the name, maybe Charlie Soap??) and I believe it's supposed to clean out your washer if you use it for car stuff...

Last edited by steve9207; 02-19-2008 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:33 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
wait wait wait, so you can't throw them in the washer? OK so after I use FS UPP, I throw the pads in the washer with this http://www.pinnaclewax.com/pin620.html

Is that ok?

P.S. I know that detergent is meant for MF towels but it says it can also clean terry cloths
Old 02-19-2008, 10:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
in all seriousness, I toss them (about a dozen or so) in the washing machine. I try to use Charliesoap as often as I can too. But sometimes I just use liquid "ALL". If I have done a real heavy polish job I will use the pre-wash cycle first. You should get at least a dozen and a half jobs out of your pads. And I mean AT LEAST!

Last edited by exceldetail; 02-19-2008 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:27 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
wait wait wait, so you can't throw them in the washer? OK so after I use FS UPP, I throw the pads in the washer with this http://www.pinnaclewax.com/pin620.html

Is that ok?

P.S. I know that detergent is meant for MF towels but it says it can also clean terry cloths
Neither of which are polishing pads

I throw my MF towels in the washer, but I draw the line at pads loaded with polish in the same machine I wash my clothes in.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:31 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by exceldetail
in all seriousness, I toss them (about a dozen or so) in the washing machine. I try to use Charliesoap as often as I can too. But sometimes I just use liquid "ALL". If I have done a real heavy polish job I will use the pre-wash cycle first. You should get at least a dozen and a half jobs out of your pads. And I mean AT LEAST!
I'm sure you do a LOT more of these on a daily basis, so I can understand that.

Nothing like the smell of UPP on your favorite shirt
Old 02-20-2008, 10:04 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by blassiter1
How long can you keep it in a ziplock before using it again?
I store it no more than 3-4 days, then they get washed, dried and stored.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
I wash and reuse my pads all the time .. some are 3 years old and I've had to reattach the velcro backs.

The wife on the other hand doesn't .....
Old 02-20-2008, 12:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
I wash and reuse my pads all the time .. some are 3 years old and I've had to reattach the velcro backs.

hahah...that's nasty Jesstzn!!
Old 02-20-2008, 02:38 PM
Just dial 1911

Old 02-20-2008, 04:35 PM
Advanced

By all means toss them! In fact, for environmental reasons, I'll send you a postage prepaid envelope and I'll dispose of them properly for you ;-)
Old 04-07-2008, 11:06 PM
Advanced

I was reading on the meg forums that they recommend cleaning the pad after each/every other section (ie cleaning it immediately after using it). I have never read or heard about anyone doing that here. Opinions?
Old 04-07-2008, 11:46 PM
ASM 3G TL Type-S

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Each or other section/ panel of the vehicle? whoa that would be a serious waste, my pads take two days to fully dry out, after each vehicle I have polished I just give the pads a thorough wash.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by padway
I was reading on the meg forums that they recommend cleaning the pad after each/every other section (ie cleaning it immediately after using it). I have never read or heard about anyone doing that here. Opinions?

Can you post the link to that?
Old 04-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Advanced

Can you post the link to that?
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=21413
Old 04-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Just dial 1911

Interesting. I actually find it easier to work with when the pad I'm using is saturated with the product. Especially a polish

Unless I need to apply a very thin layer, like with FSUPP or Klass AIO or SG, it dosent bother me if the pad is saturated. In fact, sometimes when the pad is saturated, I find it easier to apply a thin layer of a product because I dont need to add anymore to the pad...
Old 04-08-2008, 09:33 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Oh lordy........let's see........OK

1) No need to toss pads unless the velcro backing has come loose or you are rich.

2) I mix one packet of Snappy Clean in a 5 gallon bucket with 3 gallons of warm water.

3) I hold the pad under the solution and use my thumbs to work the pad to get rid of product. I rotate the pad after working a section and repeat for a couple of rotations.

4) After the pad is clean I wring out the pad the same way I removed the product. I am careful not to fold up the pad or wring it out like a towel. I do not want to weaken the seal between the pad and velcro backing (felt).

5) I rinse the pad out at the sink with warm water to get rid of the cleaning solution.

6) I then attach the pad to the PC or UDM and turn it on. I start at 1-2 and finish at 5-6. Make sure the pad is vertical or you will get a bath!. This is the best way to get the liquid out of the pad.

7) The pad will still be a little damp and I just let them air dry. I NEVER put them in a ziplock unless the pads are 100% dry. You do not want mold or mildew.

8) You may try a low temp dryer but I would be careful not to use high heat which may separate the pad and velcro backing (felt).
Old 04-09-2008, 12:09 AM
Drifting

sweetjazz - Does the Snappy Clean remove the polish as well. Cuz I am trying to clean my pads with dish washing soap but I feel as though I can't get all the polish out, cuz it keeps oozing out whenever i squeeze with my thumbs to try and get all of it out?

Also, Excel any chance you will start carrying snappy clean?
Old 04-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Ok .. I took cleaning as propper full washing etc .. not just product transfer.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SweetJazz
1) No need to toss pads unless the velcro backing has come loose or you are rich.

If the velcro backing does come loose use silicone sealant to reglue it back on .. works like a charm.

6) I then attach the pad to the PC or UDM and turn it on. I start at 1-2 and finish at 5-6. Make sure the pad is vertical or you will get a bath!. This is the best way to get the liquid out of the pad.

I do the spin in a pail so the pad doesn't become a frisbie if it comes off

Final dry them velcro side up on a rack .. seem to dry faster that way

Old 04-09-2008, 04:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
I believe the ~intent~ of the ziplock bag is to store just used and product laden pads for their next use.
If you work on more than 1 car- like your friends and neighbors after seeing what your baby looks like now etc- that works fine and keeps the UDM bag clean and organized.
Each color/density pad is for a different compound in my bag-
ziplocks are easily written on like: Orange pad-w/ Optimum compound-
next bag says White pad- Hyper compound
If its going to be months before next use- then wash and dry- no need to store airtight after fully dry- just a clean dry bag.
In my case- the first UDM effort was overall good results, next try was more effort on the hood, then more on the roof---getting all the little stuff that only I can even see~
Who can own a tool like this and not be using it all the time. Wash the pads when they are dirty- otherwise just keep working!!
Old 04-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Fulani has a TL
sweetjazz - Does the Snappy Clean remove the polish as well. Cuz I am trying to clean my pads with dish washing soap but I feel as though I can't get all the polish out, cuz it keeps oozing out whenever i squeeze with my thumbs to try and get all of it out?

What polish you using? Maybe way too much? I don't have problems washing out Megs/Menzerna or Optimum polishes.

I soak them in warm water with Dawn for a bit then reapply Dawn and kneed with my thumbs then rinse and do it again .. after a couple applications the suds start and you know your close.

Patience grasshopper
Old 04-09-2008, 09:02 PM
Drifting

What polish you using? Maybe way too much? I don't have problems washing out Megs/Menzerna or Optimum polishes.

I soak them in warm water with Dawn for a bit then reapply Dawn and kneed with my thumbs then rinse and do it again .. after a couple applications the suds start and you know your close.

Patience grasshopper

Haha, Grasshopper....

Yeah I had a feeling I was using too much from when I discovered I applied too much polish... And that just feeds into this problem as well!!!

Thanks for verify my thinking!
Old 04-09-2008, 09:59 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Originally Posted by Fulani has a TL

Yes, Snappy Clean removes any polish, compound, or wax residue in the pad. I love the stuff.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:08 PM
2016 E350 Sport

If the velcro backing does come loose use silicone sealant to reglue it back on .. works like a charm.
Interesting. The silicone sealant does not release under all of the vibration? Do you have the sealant info.?
Old 04-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Interesting. The silicone sealant does not release under all of the vibration? Do you have the sealant info.?
just regular silcone sealant , I have the tube for the caulking gun.

I apply the sealant then set a weight on it over nite.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:48 AM
Sexiest NBP.. inthemaking

At $10 a pop (and I use 3 different ones every time I do it), I wash them.
I bought the cleaning powder and soak them for a day or so then rinse them out. It's not perfect in terms of getting all the product out, but I usually use the same product with the pad, so it's not that big a deal.

I usually wash the microfiber towels after I use them. I then air dry it for a day so they're ready to use next time.

WTF 10 dollars for one pad? what kinda pads are they? i use meguairs pads and they're 35 dollars at lordco.. i get 30% discount so they're about 25 dollars for ONE Pad.............................

Quick Reply: Do you clean and reuse your pads?