Difference between polish/wax/seal

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 04:55 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Difference between polish/wax/seal

Pardon my ignorance but this is something I haven't always been too clear on. From my understanding, polishing is using your hand or an orbital/rotary buffer to smooth out surface imperfections? Waxing is to fortify the clearcoat/add a protective layer to the finish of your car? And seal... wild guess here, is to protect the wax job itself and prolong the finish? Someone tell me if I'm completely off track here...

Also, can "buffing" be used interchangeably with "polishing" or would it be used interchangeable with one of the other terms? And did I put it in the correct order - polish, then wax, then seal?

Would like to get into claybar and using an orbital buffer but I want to make sure I have everything down pat here...
Old 04-29-2007, 09:08 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
Pardon my ignorance but this is something I haven't always been too clear on. From my understanding, polishing is using your hand or an orbital/rotary buffer to smooth out surface imperfections? Waxing is to fortify the clearcoat/add a protective layer to the finish of your car? And seal... wild guess here, is to protect the wax job itself and prolong the finish? Someone tell me if I'm completely off track here...
I'll try a take a stab at it . . . Polishing is the process of correcting/removing surface defects and imperfections. Waxing/Sealing are pretty much synonymous. I think the term wax is associated more with carnubas and synthetics more with sealing. Basically, the LSP, either a wax or a sealant is a sacrificial barrier designed to seal and protect your paint.
Also, can "buffing" be used interchangeably with "polishing" or would it be used interchangeable with one of the other terms? And did I put it in the correct order - polish, then wax, then seal?
IMO, polishing should not be confused with buffing. I consider buffing the act of removing the applied product. The process would be wash, clay, polish and seal.
Would like to get into claybar and using an orbital buffer but I want to make sure I have everything down pat here...
There are a number of articles regarding the the proper techniques for using a claybar. Likewise, there are articles, videos and tutorials using a PC.

Last edited by Hawhyen51; 04-29-2007 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:13 AM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Waxing is to fortify the clearcoat/add a protective layer to the finish of your car? And seal... wild guess here, is to protect the wax job itself and prolong the finish? Someone tell me if I'm completely off track here...
You've got it backwards. Sealants are usually polymers that bond to the paint (ie Zaino, UPP, Klasse AIO) and are applied after polishing. Waxes are then added as a final step, usually to add some depth to the shine and to protect the sealant to help it last longer.

Yeah, waxes can seal, but you cant top a wax with a polymer sealant.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:28 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Wash (car wash concentrate)
Clean (detailer’s clay)
Polish (to remove surface imperfections)
Surface protection (Wax or polymer sealant)
Last Step Product (LSP) Wax on a polymer-Polymer on a polymer sealant)

A random orbital buffer (to polish minor surface scratches or to remove/ buff a polymer or wax)

There are many variations but this is a basic guide
Old 05-01-2007, 03:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "old school" days of putting a "coat of wax" has somewhat evolved. "Polish" now is something that removes swirls and scratches or just simply amplifies the gloss. I look at it now simply as:

Waxes:

Natural (Carnauba based)
Synthetic (Sealants, Glazes)

Polish:

Abrasive, Non- Abrasive

Compounds:

Different levels of abrasion to remove different levels of damage.

If you have a modern car (likely after 1990), you are pretty much providing protection and care mostly to the Clearcoat. The color of the car now is only the basecoat.

You can still stick to the old school method of a simple one product solution. Carnauba based waxes are called Cleaner Waxes and Synthetic waxes are categorized as "All-In Ones" (ex Klasse). If you can't be bothered by using machines, pads, swirl removers, etc.. this is the simplest way if keeping the clearcoat shiny.

Also, if you are going to the modern route of Cleaning, Polishing, Waxing, remember that you cannot wax first then polish. The newer Synthetic "waxes" won't adhere properly to a waxed surface. A cleaned (clayed) finish, the polished (swirls removed by polish) prepares the surface to be sealed with a synthetic sealant. A pure Carnauba (non-Cleaner Wax) can then be applied to a properly bonded sealant to add even more gloss.

If you are thinking of getting an over the counter orbital buffer, you might as well do it by hand. The results would be much of the same. The reason why I say this I have 2 of those which is just sitting somewhere gathering dust. IMO a waste of money.

A DA polisher (Porter Cable) is what you need and it will dramatically change the way you take care of your car(s). Going this route requires that you educate yourself about pad and polish combinations but most info you need are available online.

This forum is one of the best for learning and sharing knowledge about detailing and the resident pros are excelent for their advice.