Did I buy okay stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 05:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did I buy okay stuff?

So I just got my TL this week and its already dirty...
I've spent a few hours today reading thru some of these threads...

My plan is to try to wash the car/tires weekly (or semi-weekly) as long as its not too cold here in Boston.
As far as other more complicated cleaning -- clay, wax, polish, etc. I'll leave that until the spring. Is this a wise decision or should I try to do it as soon as possible?

Anyways, let me know if I bought something that is completely inferior and shouldn't have bought, or if theres a better option for the same money. I got everything from Walmart (since walmart was open today), and will be going to an auto parts store tommorrow for additional items. I'm more concerned with the possibility of buying the wrong towels/cloths.

For Washing the Tires/Wheels:
Black Magic Pro-Clean Wheel Brush ($5.37)
Meguiar's Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner

For Washing the Car Body:
2 Eurow Genuine Sheepskin Polish & Wash Mitt - 8"x10" ($4.97 each) -- for washing
MicroTex Drying Towel (23"x40") -- Microfiber made in korea 20% polyester 30% polyamide ($6.87) -- for drying
Black Magic Pro-Clean Chenille Covered Sponge ($2.97) -- will probably return this as I can't see a real use for it.
Meguiar's NXT Gen Car Wash
Meguiar's Quik Detailer

Still To Buy:
303 Aerospace Protectant -- for tire dressing
Waffle weave drying towel -- to dry car body

Thanks,
Slink
Old 01-01-2005, 05:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Slinks
So I just got my TL this week and its already dirty...
I've spent a few hours today reading thru some of these threads...

My plan is to try to wash the car/tires weekly (or semi-weekly) as long as its not too cold here in Boston.
As far as other more complicated cleaning -- clay, wax, polish, etc. I'll leave that until the spring. Is this a wise decision or should I try to do it as soon as possible?

Anyways, let me know if I bought something that is completely inferior and shouldn't have bought, or if theres a better option for the same money. I got everything from Walmart (since walmart was open today), and will be going to an auto parts store tommorrow for additional items. I'm more concerned with the possibility of buying the wrong towels/cloths.

For Washing the Tires/Wheels:
Black Magic Pro-Clean Wheel Brush ($5.37)
Meguiar's Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner

For Washing the Car Body:
2 Eurow Genuine Sheepskin Polish & Wash Mitt - 8"x10" ($4.97 each) -- for washing
MicroTex Drying Towel (23"x40") -- Microfiber made in korea 20% polyester 30% polyamide ($6.87) -- for drying
Black Magic Pro-Clean Chenille Covered Sponge ($2.97) -- will probably return this as I can't see a real use for it.
Meguiar's NXT Gen Car Wash
Meguiar's Quik Detailer

Still To Buy:
303 Aerospace Protectant -- for tire dressing
Waffle weave drying towel -- to dry car body

Thanks,
Slink
You could have done better, but considering the months were in, its not a big deal. There are products out there that will yield better results, ya just have to ask around for what everyones using! Im not sure that Microtex drying towel (This is where a Waffle weave will blow the socks off of it) is scratchfree, you may want to rub it on a AOL cd and see what happens....
Hot Rims is good stuff....
The Sheepskins are unbeatable....
Chenille may come apart on you so watch that one..
Car wash is great !
And the QD is average..
The 303 wont give you any shine on the tires, so if your after some gloss, you aint gonna get it, but great protectant for just about everything else on the car !
All in all you did ok !!
Old 01-01-2005, 09:30 PM
Registered Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like a pretty good list.

I would leave serious detailing alone for a few more months (I'm in RI, got a good idea of the Boston weather). I'm waiting to clay/polish the car until the spring, the road salt and sand is hell on the finish up here. You would practically have to do it again in a few months, and things are much easier to accomplish in warmer weather then the 40 degree days we have had lately.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/ Thats an awesome place to read up on everything, register and search around, create your own threads asking about things you are unsure of. There are a lot of "What should I get for a wax/polish/wash/dressing/protectant" threads. Some of the people have their own lists of favorite products too. I know GSRstilez has a good list, and check out the "Meet the members" section too.