Detailing tips for black cars.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 09:37 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detailing tips for black cars.

hey
this weekend im doing a customer's brand new bmw 335 in black. iv been detailing cars for a awhile and have been lucky enough to not have ne black cars so far. my question is how could i prevent swirls? i heard good things about meguiar's scratch X that i might buff on to fill ne swirls. would i buff it on before or after my polish?

heres my routine:

1) wash
2) usually id clay but since its brand new i dont think its neccessary/
3) Meguiar's scratch X with black lake country pad (Before or after polish)
4) Klasse AIO
5) S100.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:00 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
You really should clay the car. Even though it is new, it will make a hige difference in the results you get from the rest of your steps. Additionally, it only takes about ten to fifteen minutes to do the whole car.

Also, as the owner of a black car, I can tell you that the procedure and tools you use for washing and drying are MUCH more important than the cleaner/wax you apply, unless you like lots of fillers (which you may, since it would guarantee repeat business), or lots of polishing. Speaking if polish, I think you can probably find a better "whole-car" polish than Scratch-X. Do a search, there are many, and many seem to work well.

Good luck, and for God's sake, take some before/after pics for all of us.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As stogie stated most of your swirls will more than likely happen during washing and drying phase. Improper techniques and equipment are the main culprits that induce swirls. As far as claying, that is an option. I would do the baggie check to decide and if you feel the surface is smooth enough then press on. Scratch X is great for spot repair but I wouldn't use it on the entire car. I would prefer a polish like Optimum to remove any surface imperfections and oxidation. AIO, which I think is an excellent product is more a cleaner and will not remove swirls but will hide them via fillers. AIO will provide gloss and reflectivity. Your choice of S100 (carnuba) as an LSP will provide the necessary protection but does not have the durability of a synthetic polymer which I would highly recommend.

The black pad from Lake is a finishing pad used for applying glazes, sealants, etc. and IMO not the ideal choice to use with Scratch X. The more preferable pad would be the White polishing or the Orange cutting pad. If needed, you can apply the cleaner after polishing but I find it unncessary after using a polish.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Good replies, couldnt have said anything more, any better!
Old 12-06-2006, 12:53 PM
Racer

excel i got your package last nite, thansk for the free samples.

if i'm using sheepskin mits for washing and microfiber towels to dry, i shouldn't get any swirls right?
Old 12-06-2006, 01:09 PM
Doesn't Rice His Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by alucardx
excel i got your package last nite, thansk for the free samples.

if i'm using sheepskin mits for washing and microfiber towels to dry, i shouldn't get any swirls right?

Depends on a lot of factors like stated above(mainly technique). The sheepskin you buy, you should really handcheck for softness that is if you bought it at your local store. And the microfibers should probably be bought somewhere else other than Walmart -- I learned the hard way (my black tsx had light swirling after 1 month )

As for the the technique, most guys around here use 2 buckets. One for soap, and one for rinsing their mitt inbetween.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by studville
Depends on a lot of factors like stated above(mainly technique). The sheepskin you buy, you should really handcheck for softness that is if you bought it at your local store. And the microfibers should probably be bought somewhere else other than Walmart -- I learned the hard way (my black tsx had light swirling after 1 month )

As for the the technique, most guys around here use 2 buckets. One for soap, and one for rinsing their mitt inbetween.
got everything through exceldetail. should be good to go
Old 12-06-2006, 04:00 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
As stogie stated most of your swirls will more than likely happen during washing and drying phase. Improper techniques and equipment are the main culprits that induce swirls. As far as claying, that is an option. I would do the baggie check to decide and if you feel the surface is smooth enough then press on. Scratch X is great for spot repair but I wouldn't use it on the entire car. I would prefer a polish like Optimum to remove any surface imperfections and oxidation. AIO, which I think is an excellent product is more a cleaner and will not remove swirls but will hide them via fillers. AIO will provide gloss and reflectivity. Your choice of S100 (carnuba) as an LSP will provide the necessary protection but does not have the durability of a synthetic polymer which I would highly recommend.

The black pad from Lake is a finishing pad used for applying glazes, sealants, etc. and IMO not the ideal choice to use with Scratch X. The more preferable pad would be the White polishing or the Orange cutting pad. If needed, you can apply the cleaner after polishing but I find it unncessary after using a polish.
which synthetic polymer would you suggest? iv been using s100 for about 3 yrs now and been very very happy with it but im open to trying something new.

yea your right about the pads. i bought the orange for my Klasse AIO polish and the Black pad for my Klasse SG but i dont have ne other pads so i thought maybe the black would work.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Safety Car

Got_3.2?, I should've realized most Klasse users purchase the twins (AIO & SG) as a set. Why not use the SG on the 335, let cure and then apply the S100. As far as a polymer, I've been using Four Star UPP. Easy to apply/remove, great reflectivity and shine. I've also taken a liking to DG111 for the same reasons. One item I would highly recommend adding is the DG AW. Use after washes as a QD (wet/dry) to protect and prolong the initial layer of protection. An outstanding product not to mention inexpensive.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Duraloss is hard to beat pricewise..............The 111 is one of my favored DG products. But I do give a slight edge to the UPP........
Old 12-15-2006, 01:40 AM
03' NBP TL-S

that is why i kind of regret a black car. because of the extensive effort for proper upkeep. looks so sexy though.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:58 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
2 hours a week to keep a $30,000 car looking nice is a minuscule amount of upkeep. Start with the right tools, and it will be easy. My fist "clay" took me about 45 minutes. Now, it's a 15 minute thing.

In my opinion, two hours a week is worth it for all the "ooohs" and "ahhhs" from people. One compliment on your car makes it all worthwhile.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:59 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by stogie1020
2 hours a week to keep a $30,000 car looking nice is a minuscule amount of upkeep. Start with the right tools, and it will be easy. My fist "clay" took me about 45 minutes. Now, it's a 15 minute thing.

In my opinion, two hours a week is worth it for all the "ooohs" and "ahhhs" from people. One compliment on your car makes it all worthwhile.

In the UK you'd have to spend $58K approx (for the equivalent vehicle) and if you see have most Brits treat thier cars

Knowledge; [ability to correctly diagnosis problems] [utilizing appropriate methods / products to solve them]