Detailed my brother's 2001 BMW 530i

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 11:21 PM
'That's what she said!'

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Detailed my brother's 2001 BMW 530i

Hi there.

As the title states, I detailed my brother's 530i. I want to apologize from the beginning for the poor quality pictures. But despite the poor quality, you will see a clear difference between how it was before, and how it is now.

I've been detailing people's cars for a while now(but the simple stuff like wash, clay, wax and interior detailing), but this was my first paint correction. I know, I chose one of the hardest paints to correct, BMW clear coat. But despite that, I feel I did a pretty good job for my first paint correction. I could've corrected more swirls (by doing one more pass of Adam's Swirl and Haze Remover) but my brother said not to kill myself with the correction as he is going to have the whole car repainted anyways. So I basically took this opportunity as an experience builder, and it was. In some parts I achieved about 90% correction, 80% in some parts, and 70% correction in other parts.

My brother has owned this car for 5 years and as of 3 years, he has basically forgotten about the car. There was a good amount of oxidation and it was swirled up pretty bad! Just with the first pass of the Severe Swirl Remover, the paint came alive as it removed all the oxidation it had. It took me two days to do this detail, as I also did his interior too (sorry no pics of that). Anyways, on to the pictures.

Products used for the correction:
Adam's Severe Swirl Remover (one pass)
Adam's Swirl and Haze Remover (two passes)
Adam's Revive Polish (one pass)
Adam's Buttery Wax

Note: I don't have many pics but these should suffice.

Some before shots:

Wish I had a better camera so you could really see the poor quality the paint was

^^

Some after pics: (I don't have many but my sister-in-law, who is a photographer, promised she'd take some nice sun shots of the paint with her Nikon D-7000, so I'll get those posted as soon as it happens.)

The paint looks much more alive now.

A reflection shot

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Again, sorry for the crappy quality. I'll post some nice after shots as soon as I get them. Thanks for looking and let me know what you guys think. I'm always looking to learn from the pros.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:36 PM
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Great job! For a decade old car, the paint isn't that terrible. Did you try to buff the headlights? They look a little hazy.

Me and my buddy recently detailed a 04 545i. These 5 series are by no means small cars. It was quite time consuming but well worth it in the end.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:45 PM
'That's what she said!'

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Yea I saw your thread, and after seeing what you did to the headlights, that's what I'm going to do. I polished the heck out of them and I had no luck. Wetsanding it is.

And thanks. It was a lot of work but the final product makes it worth it. After doing this car, I've done a few of my buddies cars already so I'm getting my practice in. I always check this section to see what you guys are doing. It's like a gold mine in here.

Actually, after hearing good things about the Meguiars #205 and #105, and personally seeing it work on the cars many on here have been detailing, I'm going to give that combination a try.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:22 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow thats an amazing good job