Detailed -- 2001 BMW M3 Laguna Seca Blue

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Detailed -- 2001 BMW M3 Laguna Seca Blue

This is my own car that I purchased a year ago. The car has 15k miles on the clock. According to the previous owner, the car was only waxed regularly but never professionally detailed.

The car had a lot of light swirls and some scratches here and there. Plus there are a few odd marks like bird droppings that weren't removed promply. There are a couple of fingerprint-look marks on the paint that won't go away without polish.

The imperfections were not severe and I worked in the evening, so it was difficult to capture them with my camera. In its original state, I'd say it was about 80% flawless. I wanted to get 95% flawless and I think it's there.

The tools and products used:
Good ole PC
LC orange, white, and black pads
Prima Swirl, Amigo, and Epic
Black Wow for the trim. I love this stuff!!
Meguiar's white clay
Meguiar's Endurance Tire Gel
Meguiar's Hot Rims Mag and Aluminum Polish for the exhaust tips
Laitner Power Brush for the back of the wheels

It took me a few days to complete the entire process because I only had a few hours in the evening. To top that, it was HOT and humid in Socal that time. Nighttime temperature was about 85F and about 60% humidity so it added to the challenge.

There are deeper scratches that I chose not to remove completely, mainly because I don't have a paint depth meter and I want to save as much clear coat as possible.

Started it with good claying:

Odd fingerprint mark on the A-pillar:

Swirls:

Trunk lid after passes of Orange/Prima Swirl, White/Swirl, and White/Amigo:

Trunk lid after Prima Epic:

Comparison shots of the trunk lid before Epic....

... and after:

50/50 shot of the left quarter panel:

These are the outdoor "after" pics, taken on 6/21 at around 3:30 PM. It was 118F and very humid.

Roof:

No more swirl:

These were taken on 6/29:

Old 07-10-2008, 05:38 PM
I can't find my garage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
awesome!
Old 07-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The car looks great! Nice job, Love the look of the car/color combo. Very nice!
Old 07-10-2008, 08:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
nice car, looking really good. Sorry to say this, but a fingerprint in the paint means repaint...I can't tell if that is the front or rear beam, but by the construction of the car and bodyshop experience, it could have been damaged on the roof or the rear quarter panel, and they had to blend in that area OR it wad damaged in the front area and the pillar was blended. For some reason I think its the rear because in the rear fender pic, it has excessive orange peel...

But back to the detail, it looks great, how did that prima swirl work for you? Alot of people on detail university use it, and praise it, but they never say how easy it was to use, any comments?
Old 07-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the kind words.

csmeance, the car has zero repaint. The original owner is my good friend, family friend and we went way back. He owns multiple high end cars (NSX, S-class, CLK, etc) that he mostly buys new so I don't really see the reason that he would lie to me.

I also checked the entire car with a borrowed paint meter and it's very consistent. I don't see or feel any sign of repaint either (to eliminate the chance of dealer repaint before it was picked up) and I've been buying and inspecting used cars for years. I've developed sensitive finger tips to feel the paint.

The orange peel is a "BMW signature" so to say. The orange peel is very consistent all over the car. My 01 740i also has this orange peel consistently all over it. I know it's not really desirable, but hey, it means the car has original paint.

Re: Prima Swirl. I like it. I think it works better and easier than Meguiar's M80. You only need to put very light (or no) pressure to the pad. Let the weight of the machine do the job. You just need to switch pads if you need more agressive cut.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:13 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
My favorite M3 color and wheel choice. The paint looks great.

Were you using speed 6 on the PC?
Old 07-10-2008, 11:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks!

I didn't need to go faster than 5. With LC orange and Prima Swirl, I was able to remove most of the defects.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:27 AM
ASM 3G TL Type-S

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Shocking results, I detailed a 325, with a orange cutting pad and some optimum compound and I was unable to remove 100% of the defects, I was on speed six with slow and very steady pressure.

BMW paint is really hard to work with from personal experience,

Great results, all and all she must have been a fun car to work on, your effort and skill really shows.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^ GTSX-05, Thanks!

By the way, I didn't aim for 100% defect free, because some of them are pretty deep. So what you see there is about 95-98% perfection.

IMO, BMW paint is very soft. Even claybarring (I used new white Meg's claybar) leaves marks on the paint that has to be removed with polish. Wiping it with soft microfiber also leaves micro marring if you're not careful.

Yes, I did have fun working on it. However, polishing it also shows me other imperfections beyond a detailer's capability to correct, like rock chips (they're everywhere, even on the front facing rear fender bulges).

Re: your experience, the car might have been repainted, or the paint simply doesn't react well with your product and/or pads and speed.

By the way, the rear quarter panel had rather deep horizontal scratches, as if the car was backed into bushes or something like that. After 5-6 passes of Swirl and orange at speed 5, all or them disappear and this is what you see now:

Oh, I also worked on my 01 740i because of some very very light holograms and small scratches and it also has very soft paint. It drove me nuts because of that, claybar and microfiber leave marks on it, and the color is RED, so everything shows under my work lights.

Anyone in Socal wants to hire me, let me know... . LOL
Old 07-12-2008, 07:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I picked up that OP right away! Your right, its Bimmers signature! Car look wonderful, great job, and great pics!!
I feel your pain with the heat, I was on Hollywood Blvd today doing a G35. It was smokin hot. Not as bad as a couple weeks ago but when your working/detailing outdoors under a pop up, its friggin hot. Sad part was I got used to it...........
Old 07-12-2008, 08:04 PM
To punish and enslave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My favorite M3 in my favorite color and with my favorite wheels. The car is beautiful. Where are you located? I'm looking for someone to detail my Accord once I save enough money for it.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

exceldetail, thank you. I really appreciate a feedback from a pro like yourself! Yes it was scorching. I only did it because I was trying to finish it in time for a photoshoot with a few of my buddies. Otherwise, I'd stay in my house and crank the AC to the max!