Decision Time: Buy a Buffer/Polisher -or- Pay Someone Who Knows What They're Doing

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 10:41 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Decision Time: Buy a Buffer/Polisher -or- Pay Someone Who Knows What They're Doing

Background: I recently purchased a 2008 TL. The car had been keyed (not too deep, not into the primer as far as I can tell), and the body has never been well take care of. Lots of small scratches and imperfections all over the body. I am not a "car guy" (I am a boring middle aged white guy with kids and too much work on my hands to have time for such hobbies...) and not particularly interested in spending every weekend detailing my car, but... I wouldn't mind investing 2-4 hours in learning how to make it look nice, which I would do 4-6 times a year.

My dilemma:

I see my options as either:

1) Buy the hardware and materials and try to spiff my car up myself. I am looking at a 7424XP and about $100 worth of pads and other materials, for a total of about $200.

Pros: I get new toys and tools, and can use them for future maintenance. I pick up a new skill that I can use in the future.

Cons: I don't know what I am doing and could potentially ruin the finish on my car, or at a minimum, not do as good of a job as someone who knows what they're doing. Although a new skill would be nice, the time spent learning it could be spent on other possibly more valuable pursuits.

2) The kid down the street offered to do it for me for $100 if I let him take pics when he's done. I've seen his car in its current state and when he bought it, and the transformation that he has made with it is any indication, he knows what he's doing.

Pros: Job gets done with no effort on my part, and at only $100 cost. It will probably look very nice when it's done.

Cons: No new toys, tools, or skills.

-------------------

I don't have a burning desire to learn how to use a buffer and fix up the outside of my car, but it's something I could do in a couple hours, at which point I would be capable of doing my own work, I think I'd be willing to bite the bullet.

Questions:

1) Assuming I do it myself, how easy would it be for me to ruin my finish or do something else stupid? I am not that mechanically inclined, although I can read and follow instructions when I have to.

2) How good of a job would I do as a beginner, versus somebody that knows what they're doing?

3) Your thoughts on my dilemma? Given what I've stated, should I buy the tools or pay somebody that knows what they're doing?
Old 09-11-2012, 08:29 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
first off, your not getting it done right for 100 bucks....

i would make the puchase, watch some how to vids on autogeek.net...

your not going to do damage to your paint with a pc....just not going to happen....
Old 09-11-2012, 09:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by vinnier6
first off, your not getting it done right for 100 bucks....

i would make the puchase, watch some how to vids on autogeek.net...

your not going to do damage to your paint with a pc....just not going to happen....

X2 ... $100 is going to get you a glaze and a heavy wax to fill ( not remove ) the issues..
Old 09-11-2012, 09:22 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I just dropped $230 on a 7424XP and supplies. Hopefully this works out...
Old 09-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Best of luck, welcome to Acurazine.

Be sure and post pictures.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by BenInCOSprings
Ok, I just dropped $230 on a 7424XP and supplies. Hopefully this works out...
Hopefully you did as little research and got user friendly noob products and the right pads. A lot of the kits are full of products that aren't needed but lack needed items.

Good luck .. you will enjoy it.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:50 PM
Scott

Received 156 Likes on 151 Posts
Hey Ben - welcome to AZ and enjoy the detailing this weekend.

Post pics of your work after if you want.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:24 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ben, did you go thru with this? if so, i like to hear from you. i am on the same boat, i've been putting this off for awhile now since the kids' activities has occupied all my times. spent $100 on a local guy here but still not happy with it. since your threat here, i will do it myself, but would like to hear from you first :-) using you as a test bed.