Damn the Tree Sap......

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2001, 06:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn the Tree Sap......

So.....living in Seattle.....I do battle with the trees constantly....it's inevitable that they're going to ooze (piss) on me sometime or another. Any killer advice on how to get that shit off without having to break out the Zaino Clay Bar every time I wash my car (at least once a week)?! I don't mind Claying, but every time?! HELP.

------------------
CL 'Type S'
Navigation
Black/Black
Mud gaurds
Type S wheels w/ chrome
Old 06-28-2001, 07:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mffdvr:
So.....living in Seattle.....I do battle with the trees constantly....it's inevitable that they're going to ooze (piss) on me sometime or another. Any killer advice on how to get that shit off without having to break out the Zaino Clay Bar every time I wash my car (at least once a week)?! I don't mind Claying, but every time?! HELP.

</font>
The Z6 should pull it up if you don't let it "set." I made the mistake of assuming that some sap on the car was "mist" from sprinklers and one spot needed some "nasty" treatment -- all is now well.

So, try to get at it right away with the Z6 and/or use a bit of alcohol.

My detailer uses turpentine for the stuff, but Sal Zaino is NOT to in to that (opinions vary on this stuff like crazy).

I will tell you that I have no problem getting the stuff off when I get to it the same day; it's just the dried on/set in stuff that takes a little work.

If you don't like the advice here and you use Zaino, send an e-mail to Sal Zaino -- see the www.zainobros.com site for his e-mail link. He responds in a timely fashion.

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (50 lbs less than stock)
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 12 coats of Zaino magic
  • NEUSPEED Upper Strut Tie Bar ordered
  • Stainless Brake lines coming (Brembos?)
  • V1 ordered

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 06-28-2001).]
Old 06-28-2001, 08:05 PM
Banned

Wonderful....I thought about dropping a line to Sal-boy, but I figured ..CL.com would be a good first stop. Thanks for the advice, but won't the alcohal do any harm to the paint in the future?!

Z-6 the same day ought to do the trick though!!! You da man.

REVV ON!!!

------------------
CL 'Type S'
Navigation
Black/Black
Mud gaurds
Type S wheels w/ chrome
Old 06-28-2001, 08:49 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mffdvr:
Wonderful....I thought about dropping a line to Sal-boy, but I figured ..CL.com would be a good first stop. Thanks for the advice, but won't the alcohal do any harm to the paint in the future?!

Z-6 the same day ought to do the trick though!!! You da man.

REVV ON!!!

</font>

The alcohol removes the Zaino! But, if you really have some nasty stuff on the car, what are you going to do?

I have used the Z6 and it works well if it is not "baked" on. (As I mentioned, I got faked out -- a long story, and one of the "sap spots" became a project...)

Here is an e-mail excerpt from Sal about the issue:

(I had told him that the Z-6 wasn't cutting it...)

"For tree sap...

Try my Z-7 car wash diluted or full strength....

If that doesn't work you can try some Isopropyl Alcohol to see if it will loosen it up and dissolve it...

If that still doesn't work, use Z-18 ClayBar! Clay will remove any surface contaminants like waterspots, bird droppings, tree sap rail dust, bug guts, etc and not hurt the clear-coat. "

So, now you have the "EXACT" response to some nasty baked on tree sap!

If the stuff above doesn't do it, it is time to call Sal (or if you're concerned anyway).

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (50 lbs less than stock)
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 14 coats of Zaino magic
  • NEUSPEED Upper Strut Tie Bar ordered
  • Stainless Brake lines coming (Brembos?)
  • V1 ordered
Old 06-29-2001, 01:42 PM
Banned

Wonderful....thanks

------------------
CL 'Type S'
Navigation
Black/Black
Mud gaurds
Type S wheels w/ chrome
Old 07-03-2001, 12:42 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,182 Likes on 690 Posts
So does the alcohol harm the paint? I had some really stuck on sap that i didnt notice was there and couldnt get it off with sap remover or my clay bar so i used alittle rubbing alcohol and then re-waxed the whole car. You cant even tell the nasty sap was there but is this going to be bad in the future?
Old 07-03-2001, 04:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by 1StGenCL:
<STRONG>So does the alcohol harm the paint? I had some really stuck on sap that i didnt notice was there and couldnt get it off with sap remover or my clay bar so i used alittle rubbing alcohol and then re-waxed the whole car. You cant even tell the nasty sap was there but is this going to be bad in the future?</STRONG>
Sal says that the alcohol does NOT harm the paint. If you are using Zaino, it does remove it. After fixing up the blemish -- a re-wax or Zaino touch up is in order (as you took care of).

You should be ok!